Ten Year War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sabbabbath View Post
    LOL, just trying to picture that. :-D Thanks for your comments. I just compared the Vol4 TYW (hi-res digital version) vs. the 2012 Japan SACD. Huge difference indeed. I can see why some people like this super-bright thing, but these albums just need to sound darker IMHO.
    And definitely Vol. 4 sounds better "darker" and it's in large part because the entire album changes so much. If you brighten up "Wheels Of Confusion" (which is a bit muddy) with treble then you would have to make sure to switch gears for "Tomorrow's Dream," which has totally different production.

I think this version of Vol. 4 sounds like tin. It grates on the ears. I've no idea how anyone could wish to listen to this album in this fashion. And I have to figure Andy Pearce was asked to master it like this, because his 2009 Vol. 4 sounds NOTHING like this.

Vol. 4 has complex production with layers and different textures involved. You just can't open it up this far, or certain parts will tip over into earbleed territory.

Probably the worst of it is how Bill's drums sound. I love the drum production on Vol. 4 but they sound recessed and shrill with this approach.

The original UK LP mastered by George Peckham absolutely slays this. And plenty of other pressings as well. The original US pressing (Warner greenie) has HUGE bass and FAR less top end than this. When they talk about listening to different pressings that is all bullshit if you're going to master like this. No 70s version of Vol. 4 ever sounded a thing like this.
    "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
    -WTB

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff View Post
      And definitely Vol. 4 sounds better "darker" and it's in large part because the entire album changes so much. If you brighten up "Wheels Of Confusion" (which is a bit muddy) with treble then you would have to make sure to switch gears for "Tomorrow's Dream," which has totally different production.

I think this version of Vol. 4 sounds like tin. It grates on the ears. I've no idea how anyone could wish to listen to this album in this fashion. And I have to figure Andy Pearce was asked to master it like this, because his 2009 Vol. 4 sounds NOTHING like this.

Vol. 4 has complex production with layers and different textures involved. You just can't open it up this far, or certain parts will tip over into earbleed territory.

Probably the worst of it is how Bill's drums sound. I love the drum production on Vol. 4 but they sound recessed and shrill with this approach.

The original UK LP mastered by George Peckham absolutely slays this. And plenty of other pressings as well. The original US pressing (Warner greenie) has HUGE bass and FAR less top end than this. When they talk about listening to different pressings that is all bullshit if you're going to master like this. No 70s version of Vol. 4 ever sounded a thing like this.
      Another amazing post, Jeff, thank you.

Comment

• I think my girl might be getting this for me for Christmas, a remark she made.
        "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
        "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
        ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
          I think my girl might be getting this for me for Christmas, a remark she made.
          Nice! Great present!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabbabbath View Post
            Nice! Great present!
            Thank you Linda, I'll find out in a couple of days!
            "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
            "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

Thank you Linda, I'll find out in a couple of days!
              Well it's so expensive, wishing santa brings it is the only chance of getting it.

Please check out this new video from a new band.

https://youtu.be/DcWB8U9HLGs

Comment

• I didn’t get this wonderful box, but I got something just as nice and a piece I’ve been wanting for a long time, The Black Sabbath Cross Box Set, beautiful addition to my Sabbath collection from my beautiful gal.

Comment

I didn’t get this wonderful box, but I got something just as nice and a piece I’ve been wanting for a long time, The Black Sabbath Cross Box Set, beautiful addition to my Sabbath collection from my beautiful gal.
                  I wish White Wizard was still on these boards, I know he wanted this as well.

I hope he is well and having a wonderful Christmas.

Comment

I didn’t get this wonderful box, but I got something just as nice and a piece I’ve been wanting for a long time, The Black Sabbath Cross Box Set, beautiful addition to my Sabbath collection from my beautiful gal.
                    Congrats, OID!

Sounds like a great Christmas!
                    -WTB

Comment

Congrats, OID!

Sounds like a great Christmas!
                      It is great Jeff, thank you it’s a beautiful set, I’ve wanted this for the longest.

Hope you’ve had a great Christmas as well.

Comment

Amazing set!! Enjoy!! , post a pic in "The Listen" ..... Your gal is a good lady (same one I met yes?)

God Bless

Comment

• Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
                          Amazing set!! Enjoy!! , post a pic in "The Listen" ..... Your gal is a good lady (same one I met yes?)

God Bless
                          Thank you Doc, yes the same one you met.

Comment

• Got my box, through a little negotiating I got the hard to get Signed Shepard Fairey Edition, number 0090-1000.

Comment

Got my box, through a little negotiating I got the hard to get Signed Shepard Fairey Edition, number 0090-1000.

Nice! Congrats again!
                              -WTB

Comment

Nice! Congrats again!
                                Thank you Jeff, now all I have to do is get me a turntable, lol!!!

Beautiful coffee table book, for me the priceless quotes are Nick Mason and Frank Zappa, does my heart good to see the Sabb Four get such recognition from these legends.

My my next Sabbath piece is the first 70’s vinyl Box Set I missed out on in time I’ll get it.

Comment

Working...
                                X