• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabbabbath
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff View Post
    It's already happening.

Lots of titles released as AAA. More so Jazz than Rock but plenty of rock available and surely there will be more.

Shop at places like Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc or even Music Direct (who now own MoFi). All analogue is everywhere and it will continue to grow, IMO.

Plenty of engineers out there still know what they're doing. Guys like Bernie Grundman, Kevin Gray, Steve Hoffman, Krieg Wunderlich ... these guys have been around. Even younger guys like Ryan Smith who studied under George Marino at Sterling.

Look, I could be wrong, but look at the trends. Like Hendrix (Axis Bold As Love) being announced as a so-called "One Step" UHQR LP. It will be mastered direct from the master tape to the cutting lathe by Bernie Grundman. Pre-orders are expected to sell out the entire limited run of 5,000 Stereo and 2,500 Mono. Each LP costs $100. I can't imagine that this kind of thing won't draw attention from plenty of others sitting on catalogs of classic and highly regarded albums. There's too much money there. Already Santana Abraxas was done like this. I think it sold out the entire 2,500 copies on pre-order and people couldn't get it. And it was also $100 a pop!

And that's the ultra-snazzy market stuff. The market in the $25-$50 range is already there for stuff mastered analogue. Check out the sites I've mentioned.
    Thank you Jeff. I wasn't even aware of that. Well, there's money in it, so I guess it is likely to come indeed. I didn't find a real definition of "AAA" on the internet, though I do remember I read something like "AAD" or "ADD" on some of my (older) CDs. Does AAA mean that a recording has been recorded on analog equipment, stored on analog tapes and is finally put on an analog medium (like vinyl)?

Leave a comment:

• Jeff
    replied
    It's already happening.

Lots of titles released as AAA. More so Jazz than Rock but plenty of rock available and surely there will be more.

Shop at places like Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc or even Music Direct (who now own MoFi). All analogue is everywhere and it will continue to grow, IMO.

Plenty of engineers out there still know what they're doing. Guys like Bernie Grundman, Kevin Gray, Steve Hoffman, Krieg Wunderlich ... these guys have been around. Even younger guys like Ryan Smith who studied under George Marino at Sterling.

Look, I could be wrong, but look at the trends. Like Hendrix (Axis Bold As Love) being announced as a so-called "One Step" UHQR LP. It will be mastered direct from the master tape to the cutting lathe by Bernie Grundman. Pre-orders are expected to sell out the entire limited run of 5,000 Stereo and 2,500 Mono. Each LP costs $100. I can't imagine that this kind of thing won't draw attention from plenty of others sitting on catalogs of classic and highly regarded albums. There's too much money there. Already Santana Abraxas was done like this. I think it sold out the entire 2,500 copies on pre-order and people couldn't get it. And it was also $100 a pop!

And that's the ultra-snazzy market stuff. The market in the $25-$50 range is already there for stuff mastered analogue. Check out the sites I've mentioned.

Leave a comment:

• Sabbabbath
    replied
    Originally posted by Vynlsol View Post
    That's a very good point. One of the reasons mono copies of vinyl from the late sixties/early seventies have always been more desirable on the collector's market than their stereo counterparts is precisely that. The gear is just a tool. The people turning the knobs need to have the experience to work the tools - and the mojo to create magic.
    Exactly. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Vynlsol
    replied
    Originally posted by Sabbabbath View Post
    If so, I guess they first need to get some new equipment and train their personell for such a job? Everybody seems to work digitally these days, at least at some point of the process...
    That's a very good point. One of the reasons mono copies of vinyl from the late sixties/early seventies have always been more desirable on the collector's market than their stereo counterparts is precisely that. The gear is just a tool. The people turning the knobs need to have the experience to work the tools - and the mojo to create magic.

Leave a comment:

• Sabbabbath
    replied
    Thanks, Doc. I just love the set. At some point I might chime in on sound, but as vinyl is these days my number one way to enjoy music, I am aware that these are not AAA, but instead pressed from hi-res digital. IMO, pure analog can never be matched. But that doesn't mean hi-res, well mastered vinyl can't sound great in its own way.

I suspect in a few years the Sabs will have a new vinyl box set, all analogue mastered. It'll probably cost twice as much. And we'll all want that set, too! It's hard to ever get enough when it comes to this band. ;-)
    Wow, do you really think that will happen? Pure analog? Does it happen with other bands already? If so, I guess they first need to get some new equipment and train their personell for such a job? Everybody seems to work digitally these days, at least at some point of the process...

And yes, if it happens, it will of course be VERY expensive.

I have always been wondering if vinyl releases from digital sources (hi-res or not) make any sense at all. if i ever seriously start listening to and collecting vinyl, i imagine i will try to get good copies of the original pressings...

By the way, the "Ten Year War" also seems to be available as hi-res 24/96 official download:
    http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/the.../4050538337839
    https://www.highresaudio.com/de/albu...009-remastered

If the tracklisting is correct (unlike the "2009 remaster" info which is wrong), "Wicked World" is missing. Which is probably the only difference to the 2014 hi-res 24/96 official download release where "Wicked World" was included but "Evil Woman" was missing. Oh well...

Leave a comment:

• southernlord
    replied
    Regarding the limitation of the TYW box set, I wrote the following on discogs about a month ago:

We have no official confirmation of the quantities, but all the copies I've seen so far (on ebay, discogs, youtube etc.) seem to line up with the following pattern:
    0001 - 0050/0050 Ltd. Gold version with art print (not signed) - 50 copies (confirmed)
    0051 - 0100/1000 Ltd. version with art print (signed) - 50 copies (not confirmed)
    0101 - 1000/1000 Ltd. version with art print (not signed) - 900 copies (not confirmed)
    1001 - 3500/3500 Ltd. version without art print - 2500 copies (not confirmed)
    Please comment if you have a copy (or evidence of one) that does not fit in here.
    Does anyone here have a copy that does not line up with this?

Also, I have been observing the copies being offered for sale (mainly on ebay and discogs) since before the official release date, and I have never come across a golden box being sold, while I have seen plenty of the signed ones, especially on ebay. Since there are supposed to be 50 copies each, that's rather odd. My assumption is that the gold version has been used for internal distribution (given to people in the management, the band, the label ect.) and that only a fraction of the 50 copies have actually been sold to the public.

Leave a comment:

• OzzyIsDio
    replied
    It does appear that it will be possible to order it in the US in January:

https://www.amazon.com/Ten-Year-War-...ar+war+box+set
    Thanks for the info Jeff.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff
    replied
    Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    And I'll be getting them too!!

Too bad The Ten Year War wasn't available here in the U.S., I already missed out on the first Vinyl boxset that was available here.
    It does appear that it will be possible to order it in the US in January:

https://www.amazon.com/Ten-Year-War-...ar+war+box+set

Leave a comment:

• OzzyIsDio
    replied
    I suspect in a few years the Sabs will have a new vinyl box set, all analogue mastered. It'll probably cost twice as much. And we'll all want that set, too! It's hard to ever get enough when it comes to this band. ;-)
    And I'll be getting them too!!

Too bad The Ten Year War wasn't available here in the U.S., I already missed out on the first Vinyl boxset that was available here.

Leave a comment:

• OzzyIsDio
    replied
    Thank you, OID. And I feel the same way about your contributions here.

"If you know anything about rock, then you'll realise how important Black Sabbath have been. They are one of the most influential bands of the past fifty years or so. You cannot overestimate what they have meant to the way heavy metal has developed. I'm not an aficionado of metal music at all, but I appreciate their impact. And if I know what they've achieved, then it really makes the point that they are giants!"
    -Nick Mason
    Thank you Jeff.

Nice quote from Nick Mason, really nice to see recognition for the Sabs!

Leave a comment:

• Jeff
    replied
    Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    Brother Jeff , warms my heart seeing and hearing how pumped you are (here and PM) about this awesome set!! .... And I'm sure our opinions on the sound quality of this gem are very similar compared to the true originals ,, as OID stated your truly one of the special posters on this site - and it would be a shame for no comment on sound from someone with an ear such as yours , esp for members (Jack , IRON-MaN , others) who would love your 'sound' review ,,, based on your product description already , I'm sure many are salivating for more.

By the way , thankyou for helping make the contest exciting!

God Bless
    Thanks, Doc. I just love the set. At some point I might chime in on sound, but as vinyl is these days my number one way to enjoy music, I am aware that these are not AAA, but instead pressed from hi-res digital. IMO, pure analog can never be matched. But that doesn't mean hi-res, well mastered vinyl can't sound great in its own way.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff
    replied
    Jeff, youíre one of my favorite posters on here, so happy to hear you got your replacement box, enjoy it brother you deserve it!
    Thank you, OID. And I feel the same way about your contributions here.

If you donít mind me asking what is the quote by Nick Mason?
    "If you know anything about rock, then you'll realise how important Black Sabbath have been. They are one of the most influential bands of the past fifty years or so. You cannot overestimate what they have meant to the way heavy metal has developed. I'm not an aficionado of metal music at all, but I appreciate their impact. And if I know what they've achieved, then it really makes the point that they are giants!"
    -Nick Mason

Leave a comment:

• SweetSymptom
    replied
    Probably my very favorite was seeing Nick Mason give them so much credit, because of course Pink Floyd (well, mainly Roger Waters) were critical of Sabbath way back in the early days. To see that sort of come full circle was heartwarming, because it made me think about all these guys have been through.
    I'm sure I remember hearing that Roger appreciated Sabbath's directness. Of course, he may have changed his tune, after being critical in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• BACK TO EDEN
    replied
    I have received my box!

This set is absolutely gorgeous. The book is fantastic! So many memorable quotes from other musicians. Probably my very favorite was seeing Nick Mason give them so much credit, because of course Pink Floyd (well, mainly Roger Waters) were critical of Sabbath way back in the early days. To see that sort of come full circle was heartwarming, because it made me think about all these guys have been through.

The reproduction of the '78 Tour Book is sensational! And the reprint of the '78 Promo Press Cartoon Magazine is a real gem! I used to own a copy of the real thing many years ago, but at some point I think I sold it or put it away somewhere, but now I have it again for sure. That magazine is a real treasure. Sabbath's PR Team were clearly trying to convert some non-believers in the late 70s. Who can blame the band for being on board after so much criticism by ignorant, musically inept writers. They wanted to survive and expand their reach. And whatever some people think of TE and NSD, they did survive and even thrived.

To have Mint copies of all the UK covers is a real joy. I am not going to get into debates about sound on this set. I don't expect it to replace my favorite vinyl pressings, but I don't even care about that.

My limited number is 2561. It was worth the wait. Even this set arrived with just a very minor nick, but no big deal. I am happy.

I want to again thank Doc for being so generous. It was a great contest! Thanks to everybody. Truly!

Sabbath Forever!

-Jeff
    Brother Jeff , warms my heart seeing and hearing how pumped you are (here and PM) about this awesome set!! .... And I'm sure our opinions on the sound quality of this gem are very similar compared to the true originals ,, as OID stated your truly one of the special posters on this site - and it would be a shame for no comment on sound from someone with an ear such as yours , esp for members (Jack , IRON-MaN , others) who would love your 'sound' review ,,, based on your product description already , I'm sure many are salivating for more.

By the way , thankyou for helping make the contest exciting!

God Bless

Leave a comment:

• Sabbabbath
    replied
    I have received my box!

This set is absolutely gorgeous. The book is fantastic! So many memorable quotes from other musicians. Probably my very favorite was seeing Nick Mason give them so much credit, because of course Pink Floyd (well, mainly Roger Waters) were critical of Sabbath way back in the early days. To see that sort of come full circle was heartwarming, because it made me think about all these guys have been through.

The reproduction of the '78 Tour Book is sensational! And the reprint of the '78 Promo Press Cartoon Magazine is a real gem! I used to own a copy of the real thing many years ago, but at some point I think I sold it or put it away somewhere, but now I have it again for sure. That magazine is a real treasure. Sabbath's PR Team were clearly trying to convert some non-believers in the late 70s. Who can blame the band for being on board after so much criticism by ignorant, musically inept writers. They wanted to survive and expand their reach. And whatever some people think of TE and NSD, they did survive and even thrived.

To have Mint copies of all the UK covers is a real joy. I am not going to get into debates about sound on this set. I don't expect it to replace my favorite vinyl pressings, but I don't even care about that.

My limited number is 2561. It was worth the wait. Even this set arrived with just a very minor nick, but no big deal. I am happy.

I want to again thank Doc for being so generous. It was a great contest! Thanks to everybody. Truly!

Sabbath Forever!

-Jeff
    Thanks for telling Jeff, nice to hear you're enjoying the box, you definitely deserve it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X