Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.metaltalk.net/news_sevent...iommi_ward.php

Comment

Isn't it a bit late for Bill to be "open to a reunion"? The band have packed in. Is this just wishful thinking from fans wanting to see a 'second the end'? I mean, there may well be a very limited number of 'one offs' (literally one or two for very specific reasons) but otherwise, this talk about a reunion seems nonsense to me, pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarman View Post
        Isn't it a bit late for Bill to be "open to a reunion"? The band have packed in. Is this just wishful thinking from fans wanting to see a 'second the end'? I mean, there may well be a very limited number of 'one offs' (literally one or two for very specific reasons) but otherwise, this talk about a reunion seems nonsense to me, pointless.
        I've learned that people should never say never when it comes to 'never again' comments made by famous musicians/bands but in view of this and your comment just above, I think one or more 'one off' reunions (now there's something of a contradiction) is certainly possible if not probable but with all that's gone down between Bill and the other 3 original BS Members in recent years re. uncomplimentary remarks toward each other and Bill's complete non-participation in the 13 album and The End Tour, etc. I'm highly doubtful that Bill will be part of any future new Band endeavours.

Ted

Comment

Ward is the Paul McCartney of the Sabbath world ,, John needed Paul in the beginning (second main member) , as much as Iommi needed Ward in the beginning (second main member) .... Iommi should be nothing other than having the upmost respect for Ward ,, especially after his removal from "13" (regardless how it's seen) ....

Love this promotional for "THE TEN YEAR WAR" !!!! ..... Would love for this BSO giveaway to explode for the 6 members involved already (Sabman , Sweet , TYR , Ronn , TheWizard , BU) .... back in the day , if we said the first 10 go in a poll for a drawing , we would have had 20 stories in a half of day , you would have had to act quick to be one of the first 10 .... let's go guys , 4 more!!

Comment

Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
            Ward is the Paul McCartney of the Sabbath world
            I wouldn't go that far, it's not like you can devide the Sab catalouge into Iommi-tunes and Ward-tunes. But no doubt he's underrated (along with Geezer) in helping putting Tony's riffs into songs.
            Example (which i've used many times before): the Sabbath creativity we saw from '72 to '78 isn't on 13 (exept Age Of Reason), but on Accountable Beasts.
            95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
            Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

Ward is the Paul McCartney of the Sabbath world
              I agree with Billy Underdog re. the above statement and I'd like to add that although I've never really been a Beatles fan, I understand that Paul was the one who tried to keep the band together. In the 70's, there wasn't really any one Member of Black Sabbath who was trying to do the same thing, that is, try to keep the band together.

On the other hand (according to Tony), Geezer and Bill were the ones who wanted Ozzy out of the band. Tony has stated in an early 90's interview that Bill told Ozzy that Tony wanted him (Ozzy) out of the band but it was really the other 2 who wanted Ozzy fired. Tony did go on to state though that he wasn't happy with Ozzy either.

Ted
              Last edited by Ted Sallis; 07-30-2017, 11:36 AM.

Comment

I heard Bill's band Day of errors will be releasing an album soon and a song supposedly will be on itunes soon.

Comment

Without Paul , the original Beatles sound does not happen for John boy ....

Without Ward , that original Sabbath chemistry does not happen for Iommi .... in fact Ward is more Paul for Iommi , than Paul is Paul for Johnny boy .....

Just saying ...

Comment

Ward is the Paul McCartney of the Sabbath world ,, John needed Paul in the beginning (second main member) , as much as Iommi needed Ward in the beginning (second main member) .... Iommi should be nothing other than having the upmost respect for Ward ,, especially after his removal from "13" (regardless how it's seen) ....

Love this promotional for "THE TEN YEAR WAR" !!!! ..... Would love for this BSO giveaway to explode for the 6 members involved already (Sabman , Sweet , TYR , Ronn , TheWizard , BU) .... back in the day , if we said the first 10 go in a poll for a drawing , we would have had 20 stories in a half of day , you would have had to act quick to be one of the first 10 .... let's go guys , 4 more!!

I was born in 1968, so by the mid to late 70s music started to hold my attention.

Perhaps my earliest musical recollection is Dave Brubeck's Time Out. I played "Take Five" on a little turntable often. But soon I found interest in various forms of pop music. I bought a single here or there but AM Top 40 radio offered quite a lot of interesting music. This would probably be about 1978-1979. At some point, I remember feeling like I wanted a heavier sound, and the name Black Sabbath was mentioned. I don't recall who mentioned it, but soon thereafter I was at the Record Factory in Walnut Creek, CA. There I searched for Black Sabbath and found a section where as I recall Never Say Die! was featured prominently. This was probably 1979-1980 so it still would have been their latest album as I don't think Heaven And Hell was out quite yet. I bought it on cassette with money I had saved and the album never left my ears for weeks.

I had never heard anything like it. All the music on the radio like Journey, Foreigner, Genesis and so on just didn't have this kind of sonic impact. The guitar work just blew me away and I was wanting to learn guitar around this time. For what seemed like ages, any other music I heard just sounded kind of "feeble" by comparison. Soon other "heavy" bands were brought to my attention. Iron Maiden (w/ Dianno), Motorhead and so on ... and, well ... I tried some of this stuff but it just seemed like it was only trying to be heavier and I felt it was musically less interesting. I became known as the "Sabbath fan" around school. Nobody else listened to Sabbath that I knew at that time (later that changed). I was in 8th Grade, and NSD on headphones between classes was part of my MO for a while. I had liked AC/DC prior to Sabbath, and for some reason the image I had of Black Sabbath as a live act was courtesy of those images on AC/DC albums. Since the music of Sabbath was so heavy, I thought Iommi must just go completely berserk when playing. After all, if Angus Young had a guitar in his chest with fake blood coming out like the back of If You Want Blood ..., then surely this music demanded ... I don't know, just the most over the top stage act ever conceived!

Not long thereafter Heaven and Hell was out, and I was watching some Music TV show (not MTV, this was just prior) on what I believe was a late Saturday afternoon. By then I was getting the other albums as I could, but I had never seen the band. Next thing you know, the host mentions that; "Coming up next is Black Sabbath!" I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT! I was literally shaking with excitement. I was waiting through those commercials with so much energy pumping through me. I was finally going to see my favorite band! What would it be like!? By this stage H&H was in regular rotation for me, and I would listen to "Die Young" and play air guitar so hard I probably dropped a few pounds every time I played it. That last solo would just drive me bonkers. I thought it was the most amazing song ever with the most amazing guitar playing ever. In those days I skipped "Wishing Well" many times just to get to that song. And this was in the days of cassette, so you had to rewind. Maybe a good thing? It would give a minute to catch my breath!

When the show returned, they went to the "Die Young" video that of course now is easy to view on YouTube, but I sat there in absolute amazement. It was so freaking mystical and other-worldly, yet very energetic and caused an adrenaline-rush galore! And here was Tony, just standing out there! Totally different to all the other acts I had seen on TV. I couldn't believe it! In five minutes I went from thinking this guy must go out of his mind on stage to fit this music to thinking the way he was had to be the coolest thing ever. To just stand out there and play this kind of powerful, deeply moving music. Ronnie was simply magic. Geezer wagging in time, Bill swinging in time ... this was the greatest thing I had ever seen.

Soon we got cable, and I must have watched countless hours of HBO's "Video Jukebox" (I think it was a half hour show with various contemporary videos) hoping to see that clip again, and I DID! They used to play that video!

Fast-forward to 1982, and Black Sabbath were playing in the Bay Area. By now Mob Rules was out, Randy Rhoads had tragically died. Ozzy's albums were good, but I was definitely in the "Sabbath Rules, Ozzy Drools" camp (don't know if others remember this or maybe it was just a local thing) and Iommi was the Guitar God to me.

When Sabbath had played Oakland Stadium in July of 1980 I don't think I even knew about it. And I would not have been allowed to attend at age 12 anyway. But this time, I had to go. My parents were not too excited about this prospect. I begged and begged and begged and begged ... when suddenly, a solution! Sabbath were playing the Cow Palace, but my Mother learned that they were also playing in Sacramento at UC Davis. The Cow Palace show was sold out, but even more important, my parents decided that I could see the show in Davis. This was located close to my grandparents house anyway, so they could turn it into a visit. And they were slightly more comfortable allowing me to attend a rock concert at that venue. I attended with my Brother and two of our friends. One of my friends had made a wooden crucifix and sure enough Ronnie took it as he held it up for him. It was at this concert that I first tried smoking weed. I'm not sure I felt anything. One of my friends has procured a "joint" from some other fans, but I was so excited I probably could have smoked crack and not been sure if I was buzzed. The experience was buzz enough!

The band ripped through a typical set from the time period. No encore! When the house lights came on one my friend Jim (who last I heard was the drummer in Counting Crows) told me he had seen something in a magazine or paper where Ronnie had said they were not going to automatically do encores any longer. Don't know where he saw that, but there was no "Paranoid" that night. But it mattered very little. I had seen my first ever rock concert. I had seen Black Sabbath.

My parents picked us up, and my ears rang for about two weeks. Who knows ... maybe the tinnitus I have started there ... at my very first rock concert?

But you know what? I wouldn't trade it for a thing.
                    "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
                    -WTB

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                      I was born in 1968, so by the mid to late 70s music started to hold my attention.

Perhaps my earliest musical recollection is Dave Brubeck's Time Out. I played "Take Five" on a little turntable often. But soon I found interest in various forms of pop music. I bought a single here or there but AM Top 40 radio offered quite a lot of interesting music. This would probably be about 1978-1979. At some point, I remember feeling like I wanted a heavier sound, and the name Black Sabbath was mentioned. I don't recall who mentioned it, but soon thereafter I was at the Record Factory in Walnut Creek, CA. There I searched for Black Sabbath and found a section where as I recall Never Say Die! was featured prominently. This was probably 1979-1980 so it still would have been their latest album as I don't think Heaven And Hell was out quite yet. I bought it on cassette with money I had saved and the album never left my ears for weeks.

I had never heard anything like it. All the music on the radio like Journey, Foreigner, Genesis and so on just didn't have this kind of sonic impact. The guitar work just blew me away and I was wanting to learn guitar around this time. For what seemed like ages, any other music I heard just sounded kind of "feeble" by comparison. Soon other "heavy" bands were brought to my attention. Iron Maiden (w/ Dianno), Motorhead and so on ... and, well ... I tried some of this stuff but it just seemed like it was only trying to be heavier and I felt it was musically less interesting. I became known as the "Sabbath fan" around school. Nobody else listened to Sabbath that I knew at that time (later that changed). I was in 8th Grade, and NSD on headphones between classes was part of my MO for a while. I had liked AC/DC prior to Sabbath, and for some reason the image I had of Black Sabbath as a live act was courtesy of those images on AC/DC albums. Since the music of Sabbath was so heavy, I thought Iommi must just go completely berserk when playing. After all, if Angus Young had a guitar in his chest with fake blood coming out like the back of If You Want Blood ..., then surely this music demanded ... I don't know, just the most over the top stage act ever conceived!

Not long thereafter Heaven and Hell was out, and I was watching some Music TV show (not MTV, this was just prior) on what I believe was a late Saturday afternoon. By then I was getting the other albums as I could, but I had never seen the band. Next thing you know, the host mentions that; "Coming up next is Black Sabbath!" I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT! I was literally shaking with excitement. I was waiting through those commercials with so much energy pumping through me. I was finally going to see my favorite band! What would it be like!? By this stage H&H was in regular rotation for me, and I would listen to "Die Young" and play air guitar so hard I probably dropped a few pounds every time I played it. That last solo would just drive me bonkers. I thought it was the most amazing song ever with the most amazing guitar playing ever. In those days I skipped "Wishing Well" many times just to get to that song. And this was in the days of cassette, so you had to rewind. Maybe a good thing? It would give a minute to catch my breath!

When the show returned, they went to the "Die Young" video that of course now is easy to view on YouTube, but I sat there in absolute amazement. It was so freaking mystical and other-worldly, yet very energetic and caused an adrenaline-rush galore! And here was Tony, just standing out there! Totally different to all the other acts I had seen on TV. I couldn't believe it! In five minutes I went from thinking this guy must go out of his mind on stage to fit this music to thinking the way he was had to be the coolest thing ever. To just stand out there and play this kind of powerful, deeply moving music. Ronnie was simply magic. Geezer wagging in time, Bill swinging in time ... this was the greatest thing I had ever seen.

Soon we got cable, and I must have watched countless hours of HBO's "Video Jukebox" (I think it was a half hour show with various contemporary videos) hoping to see that clip again, and I DID! They used to play that video!

Fast-forward to 1982, and Black Sabbath were playing in the Bay Area. By now Mob Rules was out, Randy Rhoads had tragically died. Ozzy's albums were good, but I was definitely in the "Sabbath Rules, Ozzy Drools" camp (don't know if others remember this or maybe it was just a local thing) and Iommi was the Guitar God to me.

When Sabbath had played Oakland Stadium in July of 1980 I don't think I even knew about it. And I would not have been allowed to attend at age 12 anyway. But this time, I had to go. My parents were not too excited about this prospect. I begged and begged and begged and begged ... when suddenly, a solution! Sabbath were playing the Cow Palace, but my Mother learned that they were also playing in Sacramento at UC Davis. The Cow Palace show was sold out, but even more important, my parents decided that I could see the show in Davis. This was located close to my grandparents house anyway, so they could turn it into a visit. And they were slightly more comfortable allowing me to attend a rock concert at that venue. I attended with my Brother and two of our friends. One of my friends had made a wooden crucifix and sure enough Ronnie took it as he held it up for him. It was at this concert that I first tried smoking weed. I'm not sure I felt anything. One of my friends has procured a "joint" from some other fans, but I was so excited I probably could have smoked crack and not been sure if I was buzzed. The experience was buzz enough!

The band ripped through a typical set from the time period. No encore! When the house lights came on one my friend Jim (who last I heard was the drummer in Counting Crows) told me he had seen something in a magazine or paper where Ronnie had said they were not going to automatically do encores any longer. Don't know where he saw that, but there was no "Paranoid" that night. But it mattered very little. I had seen my first ever rock concert. I had seen Black Sabbath.

My parents picked us up, and my ears rang for about two weeks. Who knows ... maybe the tinnitus I have started there ... at my very first rock concert?

But you know what? I wouldn't trade it for a thing.
                      My goodness , what an amazing read!! ..... Along with Turch , TWO excellent new additions to the Sabbath games!! .... both ending in ringing ears ,, THANK YOU for that Jeff , I absolutely loved it!! ..... we now have 8 stories , can we get 2 more , anybody , anyone - to then start the polls!!

Comment

we now have 8 stories , can we get 2 more , anybody , anyone - to then start the polls!!
                        My brothers , can we get 2 more stories or has the Wishing Well run dry ? ..... Thel , Vyn , NS (where is this guy anyways) , Axeman or Axe fiend (where is this guy) , Jack the Strip! , Oh Lord Y , Roller ...... anyone's ??

But , if not ..... can someone here please start the poll (In the Ozzy Era thread) , put the 8 to 10 names in a poll (Sabman , Sweet , TYRR , thewizard , ronn , Billy , Turch , Jeff ... and if we get 2 more) .... So everyone has the ability to vote ONLY 1 time for 3 people ,,, find the 8 to 10 stories / revelations - here , in "The listen" or in the 'ten year war' thread .... and put them in the one poll thread so people can vote after they read each one (William the BLOODY - your good at making polls ,, or anyone) - also people can post why someone should vote for a particular person or a certain story - like a "survivor" jury ,,, Kool idea me thinks

The WINNER gets THE TEN YEAR WAR BOX SET!! ,, We will either mail you the prize OR (if none are left) you will order it from where ever you want - and you will recieve a check for the entire product with shipping.

Come on Sab Maniacs , let the games begin!!!!

...... or not ,,, God Bless

Comment

It's a truly nice gesture, Doc.

I'm sure we can get two more people in on these stories. Maybe The End was taken a bit too seriously by a few of our regulars?

I'm sure when the movie comes out that things will heat up around here.
                          "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
                          -WTB

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                            It's a truly nice gesture, Doc.

I'm sure we can get two more people in on these stories. Maybe The End was taken a bit too seriously by a few of our regulars?

I'm sure when the movie comes out that things will heat up around here.
                            Respect! ,, Thanks brother Jeff!! ..... would be great to get a couple more stories and / or a poll with some excitement for The Sabs!! .... As for Sabbath , you are correct - it's FAR from "The End" ,, Iommi is putting some idea's together as we speak , and not just with Ozzy oriented Sabbath material .....

Comment

As for Sabbath , you are correct - it's FAR from "The End" ,, Iommi is putting some idea's together as we speak , and not just with Ozzy oriented Sabbath material .....
                              Interesting to hear that, Doc! Though that's Iommi for you - the man's always creating.

Comment

The ship has sailed, Bill should just focus on releasing new music of his own. You will never see Bill on stage with Tony, Geezer, and OZ.

Comment

Working...
                                X