'Lost' Isle of Wight gig..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Lost' Isle of Wight gig..

In 1970 I saw Black Sabbath perform a gig at a small club on the Isle of Wight. It was some time before (or maybe after) the Isle of Wight festival and just to be clear, nothing whatsoever to do with that event. I was a 15 year old on a week’s holiday with a few mates doing some cycling and generally looking around the island. We became aware that Black Sabbath were doing a gig at this small club in the middle of nowhere (I can’t remember where) and the support act was a band called Perkin Warbeck. I think that one member of that band worked in a record shop on the island that we visited. I can find no reference to BS playing this gig and I can find no reference to Perkin Warbeck (the support band) in any form. But make no mistake, we were there, we witnessed the Sabs doing their Black Sabbath numbers and as I recall, Paranoid too. They had the tall Laney PA columns each side of the stage. There’s a list of Sabbath gigs on the internet and it’s not on there. I’d hate this gig to ‘go missing’ as it definitely happened and that fact needs recording somewhere, hopefully with the date, venue and set list. Does anyone know any more?

Checked here? http://www.black-sabbath.com/tourdates/
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til árs ok friđar ok forn siđr

Comment

That's interesting.

You should contact Joe personally about this as it is not on the tour date section on the site either...

And exact date would help.

From what I can gather the Isle Of Wight Festival took place on August 26. to 31. At that time Sabbath was touring in Germany and Switzerland. And in July of 1970 they were in the US...

After that in September they were touring the UK but started in Wales... And I do believe there was a break in touring in between...

I do hope some info will come about this as it is always interesting to find new dates!

Comment

I have told everything I know but unfortunately I did not keep a diary at the age of 15 (who does anyway?!), so I have have no way of checking the date. I mean, that's the reason I came on here!, to see if anyone knew about the gig and could confirm the date, venue etc. Looking at the gig list for 1970, there's lots of gaps in the UK itinerary. Rest assured, it happened, I was there, I can see Ozzy kinda falling to floor, violently flicking his blonde hair up and over his head, Tony with his original 'long hair + fringe' hairstyle. All Laney back line (not 100% about Geezer though) and Laney PA, two 4 x12 columns each side I think. Yep, I was there! Maybe there's older fans in the Isle of Wight who recall the gig. We'll see.

Comment

Well tracking down exact dates can be difficult indeed.

Pretty much the only ways to get confirmations are either ticket stubs or posters or ads of the shows themselves. Sadly very few have hold on to such items for all these years...especially when talking about an unknown start-up band at the time...

If you could remember even the month it would be helpful in narrowing things down...but looking at the tour dates (that we know of) it would have had to have been either June (or earlier) or September...

There is also another possibility...if there are some public libraries left there on Isle Of Wight that have kept records of old local news papers there might be an ad of the show...a bit of detective work might give results.

Comment

I have fired off an email to a mate now residing in Luxembourg who was with me at the gig. I'll see if he knows any more, hopefully but I doubt it.

Comment

OK, I've found it. I joined the Isle of Wight County Press Archive and after a bit of searching I found it.

Date: Saturday, 1st August 1970, 7.45 - 12 Midnight.
              Venue: The Music Box, Ryde Airport, Ryde, isle of Wight.
              Support: Perkin Warbeck, plus a guest group, plus DJ and compere Spike.
              Songs performed: unknown but described in the ad as: "After 14 weeks in the charts with their hit album (Black Sabbath), you can hear a preview of their new one due for release in September, we give you Black Sabbath"

See screen grab below that gives a few more titbits of info. I'll let someone else inform 'whoever may need to know'.

BTW, I'm Steve from Rugeley in the Midlands and have been a lifelong BS fan. Here's a little story. Me and friend once rode our bikes past Ozzy's house when he lived at Ranton near Stafford. I saw (what turned out to be) his brother riding a monkey bike around a field. He asked what we were wanted and I asked if it was Ozzy's place. He said "Yes it is do you wanna to meet him?" Of course we did and we spent half an hour with Ozzy in his living room asking him all about Black Sabbath. He was also messing around on an acoustic guitar but clearly couldn't play it. Volume 4 was just out and he signed some stickers for us. He then had to leave the house with his (then) wife "to go to Billy's". And with that, we were back on our bikes pedalling home with big smiles on our faces!

Comment

I found it. I subscribed to the Isle of Wight County Press Archive and after a bit of searching there it was. See ad below. All the details, date, venue etc are there, just as I described – well, the bits that I remembered anyway! I’ll let someone else inform ‘those who may want to know’.

Comment

I have now provided proof of this gig twice having searched the press archives. My first post was around midday (GMT) today 6 July, and again 21.22 GMT, but each time it has not appeared subject to moderator's approval. Why it has not been approved after 9 hours I don't know, apologies to those who may be waiting with bated breath, but it's not my fault! Anyway, I have 'photographic' evidence in the form of a screen grab of the gig advert that was attached to those two replies. Yes, the gig was real, it happened and I was there, 1st August 1970.

7 July, 14.58. Attached advert again, re-posted (again), but yet again (!) it says will not appear until moderator's approval. Sorry guys it's just not happening - and it ain't my fault!
                  Last edited by guitarman; 07-07-2017, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Comment

You can't post pictures here directly...

Put them on a picture site and then link them here.

This is rather awesome and exciting news indeed finding a "new! show. Thank you so much for this little treat! Now this is a great way to join the forum!

Comment

Originally posted by guitarman View Post
                        I have now provided proof of this gig twice having searched the press archives. My first post was around midday (GMT) today 6 July, and again 21.22 GMT, but each time it has not appeared subject to moderator's approval. Why it has not been approved after 9 hours I don't know, apologies to those who may be waiting with bated breath, but it's not my fault! Anyway, I have 'photographic' evidence in the form of a screen grab of the gig advert that was attached to those two replies. Yes, the gig was real, it happened and I was there, 1st August 1970.

7 July, 14.58. Attached advert again, re-posted (again), but yet again (!) it says will not appear until moderator's approval. Sorry guys it's just not happening - and it ain't my fault!
                        you could create a account on Photobucket . then you upload your pics in your library . Copy the direct link ( on the right of the pic) in the "insert image" window here .
                        Longer to explain than to do .

Comment

I do have a Photobucket account and that's the method I used to upload the image. Uploaded it three times now in fact - as explained. Just waiting for a moderator to approve it..
                          Last edited by guitarman; 07-07-2017, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
                            You can't post pictures here directly...

Put them on a picture site and then link them here.

This is rather awesome and exciting news indeed finding a "new! show. Thank you so much for this little treat! Now this is a great way to join the forum!
                            No problem, really glad to add to the information base. Well, when a moderator decides to publish it, you will all see the advert with full details of the gig.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarman View Post
                              No problem, really glad to add to the information base. Well, when a moderator decides to publish it, you will all see the advert with full details of the gig.
                              Mods aren't always very active here these days, but Joe (or Damian) will approve it as soon as he can, it's not like they're on forum duty 24/7!

Comment

Working...
                              X