Geezer's lyrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geezer's lyrics

I bought the Paranoid vinyl album when it came out in 1970. The other day I bought the CD. Just listening to it, Geezer's lyrics are brilliant. They would stand up as high quality modern poetry - albeit with a downbeat view of life - but that's his and Sabbath's take on life for the 'purpose' of the band. It all takes me back to the early 70s when I used to read all the weekly music papers and reviewers would often take great delight in saying "how crass" the lyrics to Sabbath albums were. Who were they to criticise? I think it fed their egos to 'do down' those who they actually made a living out of. Jesus, there was some musical snobbery going on then. Anyway, fast forwards to now, and I 'get' Geezer's lyrics more than ever, they're brilliant, like I say, modern 'black' poetry at its best. Well done Geezer!

Originally posted by guitarman View Post
    I bought the Paranoid vinyl album when it came out in 1970. The other day I bought the CD. Just listening to it, Geezer's lyrics are brilliant. They would stand up as high quality modern poetry - albeit with a downbeat view of life - but that's his and Sabbath's take on life for the 'purpose' of the band. It all takes me back to the early 70s when I used to read all the weekly music papers and reviewers would often take great delight in saying "how crass" the lyrics to Sabbath albums were. Who were they to criticise? I think it fed their egos to 'do down' those who they actually made a living out of. Jesus, there was some musical snobbery going on then. Anyway, fast forwards to now, and I 'get' Geezer's lyrics more than ever, they're brilliant, like I say, modern 'black' poetry at its best. Well done Geezer!
    Hate to say it, but I'm inclined to agree with the music papers and reviewers from the 70s. Don't get me wrong, I love Sabbath (otherwise why else would I be posting on a BS forum?)... but their lyrical content is not one of the reasons I like them. Lets just say, I like them in spite of their lyrics.

Comment

The lyrics fit the music and are often times genius, but there are plenty of examples of less-than-stellar lyrics.

I have found, over the years, that some of my most favorite Sabbath lyrics turn out to be penned (or credited to) Ozzy of all things....

Comment

Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
        The lyrics fit the music and are often times genius, but there are plenty of examples of less-than-stellar lyrics.

I have found, over the years, that some of my most favorite Sabbath lyrics turn out to be penned (or credited to) Ozzy of all things....
        Who wrote what in terms of lyrics on those early albums?

Comment

Agree. he's brilliant. His words are timeless

Comment

Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post

So, Black Sabbath, Fairies Wear Boots, Changes and Am I Going Insane then?
            95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
            Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody I have found, over the years, that some of my most favorite Sabbath lyrics turn out to be penned (or credited to) Ozzy of all things....

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
              I have read that Ozzy wrote Who Are You by himself; I don't know if he wrote the entire song but possibly the lyrics/melody at least?

Ted

Comment

Add The Writ and Am I Going Insane to this list

Comment

I think it's fair to say that during 'The Ozzy era', Ozzy's contribution to lyrics was very small compared to Geezer who otherwise pretty much penned all the lyrics. Like, a handful of songs' lyrics to Ozzy, and dozens to Geezer.

Comment

Originally posted by OIM View Post
                    The Writ is co written with Geezer , according to Ozzy himself , he wrote the first part of the lyrics.

Comment

Originally posted by Towelie View Post
                      Hate to say it, but I'm inclined to agree with the music papers and reviewers from the 70s. Don't get me wrong, I love Sabbath (otherwise why else would I be posting on a BS forum?)... but their lyrical content is not one of the reasons I like them. Lets just say, I like them in spite of their lyrics.
                      Like many bands Sabbath has some purely brilliant lyrics and some absolutely horrible ones (Am I Going Insane anyone?!?)...Lyrics went downhill fast on TE and NSD, but Geezer didn't really like writing lyrics anyways so I think he got fed up with it at that point. I remember Geezer always saying how happy he was when Ronnie joined the band so he didn't have to do the lyrics anymore.

I still think overall the first 3 albums (minus Hand Of Doom and sweet leaf) are Geezer's best works. I think he still had real passion in writing lyrics back then. I would also add Megalomania which is probably his best work to date.

He started going bit to the nonsense department on Vol4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (too much drugs?) but there are some great lyrics there too, but less than before.

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
                        Like many bands Sabbath has some purely brilliant lyrics and some absolutely horrible ones (Am I Going Insane anyone?!?)...Lyrics went downhill fast on TE and NSD, but Geezer didn't really like writing lyrics anyways so I think he got fed up with it at that point. I remember Geezer always saying how happy he was when Ronnie joined the band so he didn't have to do the lyrics anymore.

I still think overall the first 3 albums (minus Hand Of Doom and sweet leaf) are Geezer's best works. I think he still had real passion in writing lyrics back then. I would also add Megalomania which is probably his best work to date.

He started going bit to the nonsense department on Vol4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (too much drugs?) but there are some great lyrics there too, but less than before.
                        Personally I don't see any real horrible or dreadful Sabbath lyrics on the first 8 , my personal favorites are probably on 'Vol.4' , 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' peaking on 'Sabotage' , just like the music on those 3 , Geezer's lyrics and themes seemed to progress and go deeper ! top favorites from those particular 3 albums would probably be 'Hole In the Sky' (quite prophetic to say the least !) , Megalomania , The Writ , A National Acrobat and Spiral Architect , I also think TE and NSD had some of his finest moments specially on such an underrated deep cut like 'Over To you' ! Overall I think Geezer's lyrics on the first 8 were quite original , revolutionary and were a definite crucial key in giving the band a sense of direction ! The music and lyrics fed on one another creating such a stimulating portrait that still resonates with fans after 5 decades ! The whole 'Metal' genre themes and lyrics are literally based on what came on those first 8 Sabbath records , In a sense , they're the Bible for almost everything that came after.

On a side note , Geezer literally hates to write lyrics , I don't believe he was ever really into it , I don't think he hates writing in general as such , but being pressured to write lyrics that rimes well with the vocal melodies and grammatically works well was such a huge and hectic burden upon his shoulders ! Rick Ruben had to push him REALLY hard to write most of the lyrics on '13' (he wrote 12 out of the 16 from the album sessions with Ozzy doing the rest) , I think he had very uninspired ones on '13' and which is definitely his weakest when it comes to his work with Sabbath.

Comment

Originally posted by OIM View Post
                          The Writ in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Sallis View Post
                            I have read that Ozzy wrote Who Are You by himself; I don't know if he wrote the entire song but possibly the lyrics/melody at least?

Ted
                            He wrote the moog synth riff, but the lyrics are without a doubt the existential Geezer.
                            95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                            Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

He wrote the moog synth riff, but the lyrics are without a doubt the existential Geezer.
                              Thanks for the info.

Ted

Comment

Working...
                              X