Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Hard Road video solo vs album version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Road video solo vs album version

Thought I'd post a new thread of a response I posted under Musicians Corner:

Regarding the Hard Road video and the album version, The 2 solos which start at the 2:48 mark are distinctly different solos, different takes, I presume both from the NSD recordings, I don't think Iommi played it live in the video version but they are 2 different solos. I noticed it the 1st time I heard the video version in the History Of BS The Ozzy Years.

Album version:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-4xjCqIv1Y

Video version:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZnRhqZuJjs
    "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
    R. Blackmore

I noticed that too. I listened to the video version first and was a little bit disappointed when I played the vinyl. The solo of the video version is sadder and better than the record, imo.

Comment

The video solo seems to be an alternate take. It sounds like he messed up alittle. The album version of the guitar solo is much better imo. They made the right choice in using it.

Comment

yea it definitely sounds like an alternate take recorded during the NDS sessions. Interesting none the less, maybe it's because I'm use to the studio version I too favor that solo but it's pretty cool Iommi decided to mix things up being that the video was supposed to mimic a "live" performance and put in an alternate solo. It also doesn't have the over dubbed 2nd guitar affect the original album version has. My main gripe all along with NSA is the mix, the production largely due to the acoustics in the Toronto studio which Iommi was well aware of and he and the recording eng. ripped the rugs out and replaced them among other things to get a better sound. It still came out sounding like its coming from the bottom of a tin can. Would love to hear what that album could really sound like.
        "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
        R. Blackmore

Comment

I'm sure they had him do the solo for the video so it would look more convincing than faking the one on record.

The album version smokes it, IMO. The video one is ok but his guitar is tuned just a little flat compared with the album.
          "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
          -WTB

Comment

Love the investigation work Wicked ,, also love BOTH versions ..... but , the album version cuts right through the mind - one of my all time favs.

Comment

Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
              Love the investigation work Wicked ,, also love BOTH versions ..... but , the album version cuts right through the mind - one of my all time favs.
              thank you Doc!
              R. Blackmore

Comment

I've noticed this for a while myself...not sure which one I prefer. I listened to the music video version first, then the album version second...I think I like the music video version more, as I feel it fits the song better...the album version, while good also, feels more...badass for a lack of better term. I still like both though, guess which one I prefer changes according to my mood
                ♫Forget all your sorrow, don't live in the past,
                and look to the future, 'cause life goes too fast, you know♫

Comment

In another note,I always found it interesting that Tony also sang on this song.

His singing isn't that bad actually! I always assumed it was Bill.

Comment

Working...
                  X