Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath&Sabotage quad test mix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabbath Bloody Sabbath&Sabotage quad test mix

Has anyone come across the disc with the Quad mixes of these? I've been curious to hear how different they sound from the standard issues. I also read that there are fan made needledrops of the Paranoid quad mix that is better than the one included in the box set. Should I seek one of those out?

Originally posted by BloodyWarPig View Post
    Has anyone come across the disc with the Quad mixes of these? I've been curious to hear how different they sound from the standard issues. I also read that there are fan made needledrops of the Paranoid quad mix that is better than the one included in the box set. Should I seek one of those out?
    I didn’t know these existed, where can I find them?
    Welcome to the boards.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Welcome to the boards.

Only bootlegs exist. There is/was some debate over whether the mixes themselves are legitimate, but there's apparently some differences in 'A National Acrobat', at least. I don't know enough about the Paranoid quad mix to comment on your other question, though.

Comment

On the quad Geezer and Bill sound like they took a backseat in the most of the mix. Their presence is subdued and it's a little disappointing. For some tracks like Planet Caravan and Rat Salad, that Geezer and Ward are not low in the mix. And these are the only two tracks that sound better on the quad. Planet Caravan on the quad is the highlight of the album. The instruments are more balanced and the psychedelic panning is done perfectly.

Tony's guitar is more distorted on the UK than the quad and it does sound a bit muddy at times. But Tony's guitar is cleaner on the quad and it actually makes his guitar sound heavier. Advantage quad.

Ozzy is clearer and a little more upfront on the quad but there so much panning on the quad it kind of loses its magic. But it still sounds great, it's just the vocals on UK are more focused on staying in the center and it's less annoying.

Other differences in tracks I noticed (the most obvious) is the ending of War Pig is played at normal speed and Paranoid has the second guitar solo turned up in the quad which sounds a lot cooler along with Ozzy's vocals sound like an additional vocal track was added to the mix.

The quad has its advantages (Tony's guitar mainly), but the UK press is the winner just because Geezer and Bill are more dominant on the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by BongRattlingGeezer View Post
          On the quad Geezer and Bill sound like they took a backseat in the most of the mix. Their presence is subdued and it's a little disappointing. For some tracks like Planet Caravan and Rat Salad, that Geezer and Ward are not low in the mix. And these are the only two tracks that sound better on the quad. Planet Caravan on the quad is the highlight of the album. The instruments are more balanced and the psychedelic panning is done perfectly.

Tony's guitar is more distorted on the UK than the quad and it does sound a bit muddy at times. But Tony's guitar is cleaner on the quad and it actually makes his guitar sound heavier. Advantage quad.

Ozzy is clearer and a little more upfront on the quad but there so much panning on the quad it kind of loses its magic. But it still sounds great, it's just the vocals on UK are more focused on staying in the center and it's less annoying.

Other differences in tracks I noticed (the most obvious) is the ending of War Pig is played at normal speed and Paranoid has the second guitar solo turned up in the quad which sounds a lot cooler along with Ozzy's vocals sound like an additional vocal track was added to the mix.

The quad has its advantages (Tony's guitar mainly), but the UK press is the winner just because Geezer and Bill are more dominant on the UK.
          Thanks for the review.
          "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
          "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

Thank you for all the info and welcomes to the board. I came across it while looking for info about these mixes . So would the Quad mix in the Paranoid box set be similar to what you described? Those SBS ones appear to be a tough find. I heard the sound a little different but I'm not sure how much.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodyWarPig View Post
              Thank you for all the info and welcomes to the board. I came across it while looking for info about these mixes . So would the Quad mix in the Paranoid box set be similar to what you described? Those SBS ones appear to be a tough find. I heard the sound a little different but I'm not sure how much.
              I hope you enjoy your stay here BloodyWarPig, this is a cool place and the place to be for Sabbath info and discussions.

I only have the Paranoid one, never knew they had Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage Quad Mixes.

Comment

i got it ,everybody tells me it's fake even though on few trax i hear something i don't hear on the official album . down in the mix

Comment

Originally posted by mikesline View Post
                  i got it ,everybody tells me it's fake even though on few trax i hear something i don't hear on the official album . down in the mix
                  Oh yeah, quad mixes for both albums do exist. I've just never been fortunate enough to hear them.

Comment

Where did you find them? I'd be interested to hear them.

Comment

made this sample vid (two songs) it was called -unmixed -but like i said people called it BS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_WMKD68LDc&t=15s

Comment

made this sample vid (two songs) it was called -unmixed -but like i said people called it BS

Awesome video. Thanks for that, Mike. Such a trip to hear this.

Comment

Very appreciated. These are the two I was most interested in. Is Am I Going Insane worth hearing?

Comment

Working...
                          X