Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

The Secret Missing Lost Black Sabbath Song.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Secret Missing Lost Black Sabbath Song.

In 1968, Toni Iommi's band, "Mythology" had broken up after being caught by police with Cannabis.

I have personally seen a ton of rumors online come up of extreme early Black Sabbath songs, with no lead at all. No proof, no one to back it up. One thing I did hear only brought up once was a rumor of a Jimmy Rushing cover of the song, "Evenin'."
    We can now confirm this is 100% not a rumor. This did happen. And somewhere, there could exist a recording of it.

Evenin' is a Jazz song released by Jimmy Rushing, a black jazz musician. Evenin's lyrics have a very bluesy sound. The lyrics talking about the howling and fear of a man who lost his woman. Something you could very well see sabbath performing in their early Earth days.

As for my proof. Here is a transcript of me personally asking Jim Simpson about it. I will post updates If he replies back to me. I will not say where and how I am in contact with him for his sake, but Jim is an extremely nice man who loves discussing Sabbath and their wild early days. He is currently promoting his book, and I highly recommend you purchase it. This could be a new bust in the gold mine that is Sabbath oddities. The more attention we push towards this, the more information that can be spread.

The Conversation. Very Short so far:

Me::I am a young and very avid collector of Black Sabbath. Early Sabbath, (Earth) I was hoping to ask you if you have ever heard of these following early songs.

-Saddness
    -The Full Version of When I Came Down
    -The Evening Song
    -Devils Island.

These songs are widely spread as no more than rumors and It would be very beneficial if we could try and clear some of the bleak dust surrounding the early Sabbath land. With Sabbath now disbanded, it is great to look back on! Please get back to me, thank you for your time!

Jim Simpson (1 day later):: Hello [BLACKSABBATHODDITIES], thanks for contacting me. I don't know of Saddness, nor Devil's Island - what Sabbath period would that have been? And I wasn't aware that there was a full version of When I Came Down.

However, what you refer to as The Evening Song must be Evenin', the Jimmy rushing feature with an early County Basie Band - a classic. I produced the Black Sabbath version in Birmingham before we landed our record deal - and the band did a really good job of it - Ozzy's vocal was top notch. Did you know that Brewin Books are putting out a book by myself next week, Don't Worry 'Bout The Bear, telling the story of how I met and managed Sabbath? http://www.bigbearmusic.com/product/...bout-the-bear/

Me:: I'll be sure to purchase the book Jim! Would you know if the version of Evenin' with Sabbath will be released, or if it even still exists? The Devils Island and Saddness dates back to 1968. Have you seen the recently leaked "Live in Dumfries Concert"? Its the earliest recording of Black Sabbath, they played songs such as "Let Me Love You Baby" "Blue Coat Man" and "Early Morning Blues" ever heard of those?

-------END OF CONVERSATION SO FAR----

With Jim's participation, this could be a great breakthrough for knowledge of Sabbath's early history. There is a good chance we could be onto something well. If you all have any questions you wish for me to ask please let me know. I will post updates if anything changes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The Secret Missing Lost Black Sabbath Song.

These are the type of posts that make my day. Super interesting. Do let us know once Jim replies. This is super cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you BlackSabbathOddities, love stuff like this, early Sabbath (Earth) is my passion, I was wondering if you can do me a favor and ask Jim Simpson about A Song For Jim with Lyrics that he has in his vault and if he'll ever release it?

Like Maestro said, this post made my day.
      "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
      "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
      ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Isn't Devils Island the original name for The Wizard?

Comment

Originally posted by blackmoon View Post
          Isn't Devils Island the original name for The Wizard?
          We don't really know! In the demo recording, Ozzy says, "This isn't the Devils Island, it's The Wizard." So if it was once called Devil's Island, I wonder if the lyrics were different. Or of Devil's Island was just another song.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSabbathOddities View Post
            We don't really know! In the demo recording, Ozzy says, "This isn't the Devils Island, it's The Wizard." So if it was once called Devil's Island, I wonder if the lyrics were different. Or of Devil's Island was just another song.

'Devil's Island' was first considered to be an early version of 'Sleeping Village', so it's possible that's what Ozzy was referring to on the outtakes. This has me curious now if (assuming that's the case) the record company changed the title from 'Devil's Island' to 'Sleeping Village' (owing to having 'Devil' in the title) or if it's something Sabbath did, reflective of a change in the lyrics.

BlackSabbathOddities, thank you for sharing your exchanges with the great Jim Simpson, I'm curious now if 'Sadness' was a similar blues standard. Interesting that Jim confirms that there is (or was) indeed a recording of the band doing 'Evenin''.
            Last edited by SweetSymptom; 06-18-2019, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Thank you BlackSabbathOddities! Yours is exactly the kind of thread that makes me (us) glad to both be a Sabbath fan and a frequent visitor to this website/these Forums. I too am looking forward to updates regarding this.

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                Thank you BlackSabbathOddities, love stuff like this, early Sabbath (Earth) is my passion, I was wondering if you can do me a favor and ask Jim Simpson about A Song For Jim with Lyrics that he has in his vault and if he'll ever release it?

Like Maestro said, this post made my day.
                Me- Hey friend, I have a buddy in a fourm wanting me to ask if you happen to have "A song for Jim's" lyrics available, or if there are any lyrics at all. Or any light to shed. Also, I looked over and will be buying your book. Looks like a great read! thanks

Jim Simpson - Hi BlackSabOddities, Song For Jim is actually an instrumental, so no lyrics

A Song for Jim never had lyrics. IMO its actually just the melody of Bus Stop by the Hollies.

Comment

Me- Hey friend, I have a buddy in a fourm wanting me to ask if you happen to have "A song for Jim's" lyrics available, or if there are any lyrics at all. Or any light to shed. Also, I looked over and will be buying your book. Looks like a great read! thanks

Jim Simpson - Hi BlackSabOddities, Song For Jim is actually an instrumental, so no lyrics

A Song for Jim never had lyrics. IMO its actually just the melody of Bus Stop by the Hollies.

This track absolutely does exist with a "scratch" vocal .... a lyrical version of "A Song For Jim" may not be the intended end result - but it exist.

Also thank you my good brother for the friend request!

..... and GREAT thread!

Doc

Comment

Sounds like it.

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
                      This track absolutely does exist with a "scratch" vocal .... a lyrical version of "A Song For Jim" may not be the intended end result - but it exist.
                      So if true, does that mean there are (at least) 2 recordings of Song For Jim?

The plot thickens...

Ted

Comment

I don't know of Saddness, nor Devil's Island - what Sabbath period would that have been? And I wasn't aware that there was a full version of When I Came Down.

However, what you refer to as The Evening Song must be Evenin', the Jimmy rushing feature with an early County Basie Band - a classic. I produced the Black Sabbath version in Birmingham before we landed our record deal - and the band did a really good job of it -
                        ........ "Sadness" title was used ,,,, "Devil's Island" is a bit more than a working title ,,,, 100% a full version of "When I Came Down" exist ,,,, yes to the rest.

Originally posted by Ted Sallis View Post
                        So if true, does that mean there are (at least) 2 recordings of Song For Jim?

The plot thickens...

Ted
                        ..... + live

Comment

How can Jim not know that a full version of WICD is out there, head scratcher

Comment

All of the pre "Legit" recordings don't move the needle for me. It all sounds like Blue Suede Shoes to me.

I'll get excited when it's something from after the debut album. I feel like there's probably a bunch of 1/2 songs from Vol 4/SBS era.

Comment

Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
                              All of the pre "Legit" recordings don't move the needle for me. It all sounds like Blue Suede Shoes to me.

I'll get excited when it's something from after the debut album. I feel like there's probably a bunch of 1/2 songs from Vol 4/SBS era.
                              Although I am into obtaining more from Sabbath's very early and pre-history, I confess that I'm still holding out for previously unreleased material from the Vol. 4, SBS and Sabotage eras most of all.

Ted

Comment

Working...
                              X