Black Sabbath album 50th anniversary!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Sabbath album 50th anniversary!

Here's to Black Sabbath the album's 50th anniversary today!

Did you listen to any Sabbath today to celebrate? I started my music listening today by listening to Black Sabbath the song as a tribute to one of the greatest albums ever made.
    ♫Forget all your sorrow, don't live in the past,
    and look to the future, 'cause life goes too fast, you know♫

Isnít the eponymous debutís anniversary on February 13th 2020?

You are right it was recorded on October 16th 1969.

Happy anniversary to the greatest album ever recorded in the annals of music history, the best there ever was and the best there ever is and will be!!!!!!
    Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 10-16-2019, 03:51 PM.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
      Isnít the eponymous debutís anniversary on February 13th 2020?

Happy anniversary to the greatest album ever recorded in the annals of music history, the best there ever was and the best there ever is and will be!!!!!!
      Yes, the first album was originally released in the UK on 2/13/70. It didn't arrive in the States until June, and eventually hit the Billboard charts on 8/29/70.

I'm also partial to the first album. It truly was the foundation for every Sabbath album that followed it.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
        Isn’t the eponymous debut’s anniversary on February 13th 2020?

"Wicked World" and "Evil Woman" were recorded earlier. And, according to Martin Popoff’s Black Sabbath FAQ book, the tape with “Behind the Wall of Sleep,” “Black Sabbath,” “The Wizard” and “N.I.B.” was dated November 17, and the tape with “Sleeping Village” and “The Warning” was dated November 18. Those dates are also listed on some of the more recent releases. October is the month most often reported, but it seems to be incorrect.

Comment

Bah, I'm not going to celebrate any recording dates, not even if I had the tape box with the date written on it in front of me.

Feb 13th 2020. That's when I'm going to listen to the mighty debut album, from vinyl. Loud.
          "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

Originally posted by nolanstolz View Post
            "Wicked World" and "Evil Woman" were recorded earlier. And, according to Martin Popoff’s Black Sabbath FAQ book, the tape with “Behind the Wall of Sleep,” “Black Sabbath,” “The Wizard” and “N.I.B.” was dated November 17, and the tape with “Sleeping Village” and “The Warning” was dated November 18. Those dates are also listed on some of the more recent releases. October is the month most often reported, but it seems to be incorrect.
            Thanks for all that info Nolanstolz, I'll be celebrating February 13th 2020,hopefull we'll get a special something for that anniversary.
            "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
            "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

This is the year of celebration. 50 years of Black Sabbath, 50 years of heavy metal. I started getting into the world of heavy metal back in the autumn of 1989 when I was 10 years old, I've collected albums and gone to see shows since 1994...so thankful that this mighty journey still continues and the future still seems very bright!

I started to immerse myself with everything Black Sabbath and Ozzy beginning from late summer of 1995 and since then I've gathered a horde of albums and seen the band live on stage for 3 times plus Heaven & Hell for 3 times and Ozzy for 4 times on his own. I've got to say that the ride has been full of life and fun, full of power and glory.

After living through 3 decades with heavy metal, after 25 years of listening to Black Sabbath, it has dawned on me: Tony's guitar playing is the most distinctive and capturing style in my whole collection. From AC/DC through Judas Priest, King Diamond, Slayer and all the way to Yngwie Malmsteen and ZZ Top so many others are stylistically unique as well, but Tony's sound has no superiors in my books. Tony's guitar work gives me power, joy and sometimes maniacal laughter and tears of happiness of how awesome he is. And after seeing 840+ shows from different bands, it's clearer than crystal that Tony truly has the biggest and widest sound of them all, the fabled "halloween riffs & wall-to-wall guitars".

While Ozzy is not the greatest singer out there, he is still one of the most important ones for me. As I age, I've become to love Ozzy's voice even more. There's the charisma, the personality, the absolutely precise fitting within the music of early Black Sabbath. You can sing better than Ozzy and surely there many people who do so, you can sing the songs of his era greater than imaginable, but you can't be Ozzy himself, the Prince of Fucking Darkness!

Geezer has long ago become the greatest heavy metal bassist of all time, my personal favourite. His playing keeps astounding the hell out of me, again and again. I can't get enough of his stellar work and he is one of the very few players whose sound forces me to direct my focus exclusively on the bass amidst the rest of the song.

Bill's drumming is the cornerstone of heavy music, at least for me personally. While he reacts and responds, his every hit counts and make up the fabric of the whole song. Not a single hit goes for nothing when it's Bill behind the kit. Sure, there are other marvelous drummers of his time and even older, some are more acclaimed than he is but in my world Bill's work has a life of its own full of swinging power and grace that other drummers just don't have, at least not on the same level of consistent excitement. Many others have played their way permanently into my heart, the majority of them involved with British groups, but Bill holds the throne. You could emulate the work of so many drummers, but Bill is not among those people. I can't even describe it. Maybe it's just best to listen to songs like War Pigs or Fairies Wear Boots to make my point clear.

I'll save my brand new vinyl of the debut album for the 13th of February, but I've spent a lot of time with the first four albums of Black Sabbath via CDs during this January. I must say that these albums still surprise me big time! Their absolute magnificence and stone cold "Birmingham steel" attitude take me into their iron grip after all these years and years with these albums. Their musical power and versatility keep me amazed time and again. Especially now after a lengthy period of absence these albums feel so much more robust and mesmerizing that I can't believe it! All the instrumentations coupled with the street-grit of Ozzy's vocals make a lasting composition that may have lost it's original youthful surface during the many decades but none of its hard-as-iron stature and strength. These albums have long ago become timeless classics and have stood through the weathers of time. And in my case they were classics long before me and will remain as such after I'm gone too, so nothing will diminish these cornerstones of all heavy metal.

BLACK SABBATH
              "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

It's been 33 years for me with my love for Sabbath, since the first listen of the eponymous debut and 37 years with my love for Ozzy with Bark At The Moon, my passion for both hasn't subsided one bit.

Comment

Happy 50th anniversary Black Sabbath eponymous!!!! You have given me some fond memories throughout my life growing up as a teenager till now, from the very first day when I bought the cassette on a dark and dreary, stormy day, from when I put you in my cassette deck and ran to my window, thinking it was pouring outside and thundering and then hearing the tolling of the funeral bell, I realized it was the title track coming from my radio, I was blown away.

From that fateful day, I was in love with Black Sabbath, that was my band, I started buying everything, all the albums, books you name, anything I could afford with my hard earned money from my part time job I had after school and on weekends.

That love is still as fresh today as it was that fateful day I bought that album, all thanks to Speak Of The Devil, I became hooked and everything Ozzy/Sabbath, the original Sab four superseded Ozzy solo Dio/Gillan/Hughes/Sabbath, that's the eras at the time with Seventh Star being fairly new, and no one I knew at the time liked it or considered it Sabbath, I listened to nothing but Sabbath as I discovered each "new" Sabbath album I bought.

I was overcome by the sound and musical genius, never to be replicated or duplicated ever again, the emotion I felt was beyond words, the original Sab four, are my band and I thank Speak Of The Devil for getting me started and curious and the Eponymous most of all, to have stricken me and enchanted me with everything that is BLACK SABBATH!!!!!!

A most beloved and grateful thank you to the band for this genius of a release and the best ever and forever best album cover, that has been my favorite work of art since I laid eyes on it, Happy 50th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH.

Comment

Happy 50th anniversary to the release of the Black Sabbath debut album!

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...CHoE01FiQJfzUk

Lots of interesting history in that linked article...hope any of you on here enjoy that read.

I'm also in my Black Sabbath debut album t-shirt and plan on giving the debut album a full listen to further celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by 70sOzzyBlackSabbath! View Post
                      Happy 50th anniversary to the release of the Black Sabbath debut album!

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...CHoE01FiQJfzUk

Lots of interesting history in that linked article...hope any of you on here enjoy that read.

I'm also in my Black Sabbath debut album t-shirt and plan on giving the debut album a full listen to further celebrate!
                      Rock on my Sabbath brother and thank you for the article.

Comment

Quick story about bill ward ,i had a stack of old sabbath collectibles for him to sign ,he signed everything then he got to the first album,stopped ,rolled up his sleeves took a deep breath n' held it in and signed it,i think it's his favorite-the beginning of it All !! i always remembered that moment, i wish sabbath would have remember bill with that kind of love at the end.

Comment

50 years! Unbelievable!

It would be great to hear from a fan who bought the first album at any point during 1970. I can't imagine how cool that must have been, considering the scene at the time.

It's fair to say that most of us on this site weren't even born yet at the time of release. 50 years on, and generations of fans still regard Black Sabbath as one of the greatest debut albums in the history of popular music. Rightly so I might add.

Congratulations to Tony, Geezer, Bill, and Ozzy for this incredible milestone! ...

Comment

Originally posted by mikesline View Post
                            Quick story about bill ward ,i had a stack of old sabbath collectibles for him to sign ,he signed everything then he got to the first album,stopped ,rolled up his sleeves took a deep breath n' held it in and signed it,i think it's his favorite-the beginning of it All !! i always remembered that moment, i wish sabbath would have remember bill with that kind of love at the end.
                            Wow that's insane! Thanks for sharing that special moment. I too wish he was remembered by Sabbath with that kind of love at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by 70sOzzyBlackSabbath! View Post

Wow that's insane! Thanks for sharing that special moment. I too wish he was remembered by Sabbath with that kind of love at the end.
                              Me too 70’s, me too...,

Comment

Working...
                              X