Announcement

Collapse

Google Ads Question

Hey gang. I just posted something asking about Google Ads on my website. I'd like people's input (and help possibly) on this. Please go over here and have a read:

https://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/for...ads#post645883

--- Joe
See more
See less

Megalomania and The Writ are thematically connected according to Bill Ward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megalomania and The Writ are thematically connected according to Bill Ward

Probably old info you people already know about, but I found out recently by reading the Wikipedia page about Sabotage, it cited a Black Sabbath book that said that according to Bill Ward, Megalomania and The Writ are thematically connected. It amazes me because I never considered the connection between the two songs, it makes me see Megalomania in a different light now, I can see it now in the context of their struggles at the time of recording Sabotage. It also helps tie the album together more, since the songs have a connection.
    ♫Forget all your sorrow, don't live in the past,
    and look to the future, 'cause life goes too fast, you know♫

Originally posted by 70sOzzyBlackSabbah! View Post
    Probably old info you people already know about, but I found out recently by reading the Wikipedia page about Sabotage, it cited a Black Sabbath book that said that according to Bill Ward, Megalomania and The Writ are thematically connected. It amazes me because I never considered the connection between the two songs, it makes me see Megalomania in a different light now, I can see it now in the context of their struggles at the time of recording Sabotage. It also helps tie the album together more, since the songs have a connection.
    I don't see how.

Comment

Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
      I don't see how.
      "Thematically, "The Writ" and "Megalomania" are intertwined, according to drummer Ward, as they both deal with the same tensions arising from these ongoing legal troubles." I presume this line, found on the Wikipedia page for Sabotage, came from the book the Wikipedia page referenced, this one https://www.amazon.com/Experiencing-...SIN=1442256915.

Comment

"Thematically, "The Writ" and "Megalomania" are intertwined, according to drummer Ward, as they both deal with the same tensions arising from these ongoing legal troubles." I presume this line, found on the Wikipedia page for Sabotage, came from the book the Wikipedia page referenced, this one https://www.amazon.com/Experiencing-...SIN=1442256915.
        Interesting. I always thought the latter was about schizophrenia

Comment

What I was trying to say is that lyrically there is nothing at all in Megalomania that suggests "I'm super pssied at my crooked manager(s)!"

Comment

I hear it. Tbh, I always assumed the two songs were about the same thing.

Comment

Hmmm, I never made that connection. However, I just re-read the lyrics to Megalomania, and yeah, I can see how it can allude to how they felt about Meehan and the music industry. Feeling shame and like the joke is on them for not seeing what was actually happening to them (being taken advantage of) and instead getting caught up in their dreams (sex, drugs, and rock n roll); wanting Meehan to get out of their lives and the big music industry executives to leave them alone; standing up and fighting to get back control of their lives and becoming free

Comment

Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
                What I was trying to say is that lyrically there is nothing at all in Megalomania that suggests "I'm super pssied at my crooked manager(s)!"
                That's what's so great about Megalomania, you can either apply it to Sabbath's situation at the time of recording it, or apply it to anything else, including personal struggles for example.

Originally posted by Towelie View Post
                I hear it. Tbh, I always assumed the two songs were about the same thing.
                Wow really? Wonder how you made the connection...before I knew of the connection, wouldn't have figured it out on my own

Originally posted by Dante_Doomsday View Post
                Hmmm, I never made that connection. However, I just re-read the lyrics to Megalomania, and yeah, I can see how it can allude to how they felt about Meehan and the music industry. Feeling shame and like the joke is on them for not seeing what was actually happening to them (being taken advantage of) and instead getting caught up in their dreams (sex, drugs, and rock n roll); wanting Meehan to get out of their lives and the big music industry executives to leave them alone; standing up and fighting to get back control of their lives and becoming free
                Here we go! You get it. That's how I viewed it once I was made aware of the connection between the two songs. I applied the lyrics of Megalomania in the context of what Sabbath were going through at the time of recording Sabotage. Made alot of sense when I did. And then ending the album with The Writ...just epic.

Comment

Wow really? Wonder how you made the connection...before I knew of the connection, wouldn't have figured it out on my own
                  I knew what The Writ was about from reading up about it, and as you say, it's not much of a stretch to fit the lyrics to Megalomania to the same subject matter.

Can I take a moment to say how incredible both of these songs are? Sabotage has always been my favourite Ozzy era Sabbath album and it's in no small part thanks to these two songs. Man, I love me some Angry Sabbath.

Comment

Interesting. I always thought the latter was about schizophrenia

Comment

That line is not from the book (which I wrote), but it is paraphrased in the Wikipedia entry. It says that although Ozzy says it's about schizophrenia, Bill said it was about greed or coveting and that "Megalomania" and "The Writ" were intertwined. I also say that Geezer said it was written about their management and the music industry in general. I also mention that the working title was "Adolph." I assume (which I didn't include in the book) that calling it "Adolph" was taking a shot at Meehan by calling him Hitler.
                      Last edited by nolanstolz; 12-03-2019, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nolanstolz View Post
                        That line is not from the book (which I wrote), but it is paraphrased in the Wikipedia entry. It says that although Ozzy says it's about schizophrenia, Bill said it was about greed or coveting and that "Megalomania" and "The Writ" were intertwined. I also say that Geezer said it was written about their management and the music industry in general. I also mention that the working title was "Adolph." I assume (which I didn't include in the book) that calling it "Adolph" was taking a shot at Meehan by calling him Hitler.
                        Makes a thread referencing the book...gets a reply from the author of the book! Who would've thought it! I recall there being another thread about an author of a Black Sabbath book on here, but didn't figure the author would be of the same book I mentioned. Wow.

Anyways, thanks for clarifying things in your reply. So that's what the "Adolph" working title could've meant.

Comment

Makes a thread referencing the book...gets a reply from the author of the book! Who would've thought it!
                          haha, I know--imagine my surprise when I came on here looking for something else. When I saw this, and thought "I better clarify!"

Comment

Originally posted by nolanstolz View Post
                            haha, I know--imagine my surprise when I came on here looking for something else. When I saw this, and thought "I better clarify!"
                            Well, thanks for stopping by and taking the time to clarify, much appreciated!

Comment

Thinking about it, it could be connected, the managers that ripped them off were megalomaniacs.
                              Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 12-08-2019, 04:15 PM.
                              "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                              "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                              ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Working...
                              X