Announcement

Collapse

Google Ads Question

Hey gang. I just posted something asking about Google Ads on my website. I'd like people's input (and help possibly) on this. Please go over here and have a read:

https://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/for...ads#post645883

--- Joe
See more
See less

After completing my Black Sabbath journey today, I see 13 in a new light!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After completing my Black Sabbath journey today, I see 13 in a new light!

Hi BSO, hope you've had/have wonderful holidays! I am writing this thread to inform you people that today's the day I finished my Black Sabbath journey, by giving all the released Black Sabbath studio albums at least one listen. Today, I wrapped up listening to the later half of Forbidden, then listened to the entirety of 13. This isn't my first time to listen to 13, I've listened several times to it before...but this is the first time I can truly say it's clicked with me. Now having listened to all of the Sabbath albums before it, 13 was such a great way to wrap up the Sabbath albums. The riffs and solos from Iommi, Ozzy on vocals, Geezer's lyrics overall and his bass playing on Damaged Soul in particular, and the way Dear Father ended...such a WONDERFUL tribute to the song Black Sabbath, and couldn't have imagined a better way to end 13/Black Sabbath's studio albums in general. Whoever thought that one up, that was a stroke of pure genius. After the dark ages of Sabbath where for the most part only Iommi remained as a part of the band, it truly felt like a return to form to have Ozzy and Geezer back in the band for 13 along with Iommi, and in familiar roles too. 8 tracks for the default album was a nice homage to the 70's Sabbath albums which usually were around that length for the songs/instrumentals. It took me listening to all of Sabbath's album output for me to appreciate 13, a great way for Sabbath to end their studio albums by being a return to form to 70's Sabbath, and am glad I took up that journey to do so.
    ♫Forget all your sorrow, don't live in the past,
    and look to the future, 'cause life goes too fast, you know♫

"13" is a double album MASTERPIECE ,, all 16 tracks absolutely exceptional .... the 8 track proper is a brilliant listen with a perfect "ending" ...... tracks 9 through 16 absolutely continue that epic trend ,,, I would argue track 13 "Season Of The Dead" is one of Sabbath's most "epic" pieces of music .... Also very unique is the fact that track 14 "ends" this beast of an album in the same way that track 8 ends the album proper - leaving tracks 15 and 16 as a Sabbath "epilogue" in both title "Take Me Home" / "Isolated Man" and in lyric - to not only this great album , but to an entire career.

Brilliant stuff.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to write up that reply, Doc! When I can, I'll try to hunt down the remaining 13 tracks and give them listens too.

Comment

13 was released in 2013. This was the first album The Birmingham rock legends Ozzy, Iommi and Butler have recorded together since 1978’s ‘Never Say Die!’.

Definitely one of my all time favs.

Comment

I'll be honest, I struggle with 13. It's not like I dislike it, but I rank it fairly lowly out of their canon of work. It's all very samey sounding and not much deviation in styles, a lot of riffs sounding similar to eachother. It isn't a patch on Iommi's work on TDYK or even Forbidden. Name me a song on 13 that comes close to Bible Black or Kiss Of Death?

I also think the songs they chose for the main album weren't the best picks.

It should've been:

1. End Of The Beginning
          2. God Is Dead
          3. Pariah
          4. Season Of The Dead
          5. Dear Father
          6. Isolated Man
          7. Damaged Soul
          8. Cry All Night

That would've been a much better album imo.
          Last edited by Towelie; 12-27-2019, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 70sOzzyBlackSabbah! View Post
            Hi BSO, hope you've had/have wonderful holidays! I am writing this thread to inform you people that today's the day I finished my Black Sabbath journey, by giving all the released Black Sabbath studio albums at least one listen. Today, I wrapped up listening to the later half of Forbidden, then listened to the entirety of 13. This isn't my first time to listen to 13, I've listened several times to it before...but this is the first time I can truly say it's clicked with me. Now having listened to all of the Sabbath albums before it, 13 was such a great way to wrap up the Sabbath albums. The riffs and solos from Iommi, Ozzy on vocals, Geezer's lyrics overall and his bass playing on Damaged Soul in particular, and the way Dear Father ended...such a WONDERFUL tribute to the song Black Sabbath, and couldn't have imagined a better way to end 13/Black Sabbath's studio albums in general. Whoever thought that one up, that was a stroke of pure genius. After the dark ages of Sabbath where for the most part only Iommi remained as a part of the band, it truly felt like a return to form to have Ozzy and Geezer back in the band for 13 along with Iommi, and in familiar roles too. 8 tracks for the default album was a nice homage to the 70's Sabbath albums which usually were around that length for the songs/instrumentals. It took me listening to all of Sabbath's album output for me to appreciate 13, a great way for Sabbath to end their studio albums by being a return to form to 70's Sabbath, and am glad I took up that journey to do so.
            Glad you enjoyed your Black Sabbath journey 70'sOzzySabbath. Did you get a download card from the Box Set to download all the albums? You told me last time you hadn't opened the Box that you were keeping it sealed?

Just curious as how you listened to the albums without opening the box? I didn't get a download card with mine.

I agree 13 was a beautiful ending to the Sabbath Legacy, only one thing was missing and we all know what that was no need to go into details.
            "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
            "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
            ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
              "13" is a double album MASTERPIECE ,, all 16 tracks absolutely exceptional .... the 8 track proper is a brilliant listen with a perfect "ending" ...... tracks 9 through 16 absolutely continue that epic trend ,,, I would argue track 13 "Season Of The Dead" is one of Sabbath's most "epic" pieces of music .... Also very unique is the fact that track 14 "ends" this beast of an album in the same way that track 8 ends the album proper - leaving tracks 15 and 16 as a Sabbath "epilogue" in both title "Take Me Home" / "Isolated Man" and in lyric - to not only this great album , but to an entire career.

Brilliant stuff.
              Love 13 from the first day I heard it Doc, which was the copy you gave me which I got before it was released publicly, I still remember that day like it was yesterday, I went to my favorite park sat there by the pond listening to it with a smile on my face, I have that CD you gave me sealed and on a picture holder with my Sabbath collectibles, because it was the 13 album Doc gave me. Great memories of those days here on the forum and when 13 was being released.
              Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 12-29-2019, 08:37 AM.
              "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
              "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

Originally posted by Towelie View Post
                I'll be honest, I struggle with 13. It's not like I dislike it, but I rank it fairly lowly out of their canon of work. It's all very samey sounding and not much deviation in styles, a lot of riffs sounding similar to eachother. It isn't a patch on Iommi's work on TDYK or even Forbidden. Name me a song on 13 that comes close to Bible Black or Kiss Of Death?
                I'll name you a couple 13 main album, Damaged Soul, End Of The Beginning, God Is Dead?, Zeitgeist, Age Of Reason, Loner.

The bonus tracks: Pariah, Peace Of Mind, Methademic.

The End tracks: Season Of The Dead, Cry All Night, Take Me Home.

Comment

I'll never get how a Sabbath fan could dislike this album, especially considering certain past albums. Maybe cuz there's so many things they could have done differently that would have made it better. Some more obvious than others. Then again, plenty of things they could have done to make it worse, too. It had just been so long and there was so many ideas and expectations of what a new Sabbath album would sound like, and to cover EVERYTHING that could and should be done in modern Sabbath is just impossible with one album. So, I get some people's disappointment cuz I'm disappointed with certain aspects too, but still grateful cuz I had totally given up by 2011. Wilk was great, most of the tracks were great even if they were unoriginal, the thunder and rain at the end was great. It's just unfortunate as fuck that we only got one LP out of these guys since the '97 reunion. I suppose it wouldn't feel as special as it does, otherwise.

Comment

EOTB
                    GOD?
                    METH
                    SOTD
                    LONR
                    LIV4EVR
                    PRIAH

The rest: Meh

Comment

Originally posted by Tromafreak View Post
                      I'll never get how a Sabbath fan could dislike this album, especially considering certain past albums. Maybe cuz there's so many things they could have done differently that would have made it better. Some more obvious than others. Then again, plenty of things they could have done to make it worse, too. It had just been so long and there was so many ideas and expectations of what a new Sabbath album would sound like, and to cover EVERYTHING that could and should be done in modern Sabbath is just impossible with one album. So, I get some people's disappointment cuz I'm disappointed with certain aspects too, but still grateful cuz I had totally given up by 2011. Wilk was great, most of the tracks were great even if they were unoriginal, the thunder and rain at the end was great. It's just unfortunate as fuck that we only got one LP out of these guys since the '97 reunion. I suppose it wouldn't feel as special as it does, otherwise.
                      To be fair, I never said I disliked it. And I think I forgot a few great tracks when I made my ideal tracklist earlier (Methademic and Age of Reason especially are both great, epic tracks). I think my biggest gripe with the album is how familiar it all sounds. I know that's a deliberate stylistic choice, but at times it feels like Tony is just rehashing his old riffs.

Comment

To be fair, I never said I disliked it. And I think I forgot a few great tracks when I made my ideal tracklist earlier (Methademic and Age of Reason especially are both great, epic tracks). I think my biggest gripe with the album is how familiar it all sounds. I know that's a deliberate stylistic choice, but at times it feels like Tony is just rehashing his old riffs.
                        Or, for some songs, there's really no riff at all, just long-hanging chords or e-chugging. No less than 3 songs are reworked "hole in the sky" for part of it. TDYK has a lot of great, original riffs.

I suspect a few things happened here to stifle Iommi/Butler for "13"

1. Rick Rubin - High on his own farts, Rick Rubin hipstered this album into less than what it could've been.
                        2. Ozzy - Leftover tension and maybe fear of his "camp" getting upset over something and pulling the plug.
                        3. Bill Ward - Him leaving the project early on probably took the wind out of the sails a bit.
                        4. Lymphoma - Gonna occupy a great deal of your mind no matter how hard you're trying to keep busy
                        5. General uncertainty. TDYK was another reunion album that went mostly unnoticed by the public at large. Is this 13 project going to end up on the same pile?

Add these things together and it's bound to affect creativity.

Comment

Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
                          Or, for some songs, there's really no riff at all, just long-hanging chords or e-chugging. No less than 3 songs are reworked "hole in the sky" for part of it. TDYK has a lot of great, original riffs.

I suspect a few things happened here to stifle Iommi/Butler for "13"

1. Rick Rubin - High on his own farts, Rick Rubin hipstered this album into less than what it could've been.
                          2. Ozzy - Leftover tension and maybe fear of his "camp" getting upset over something and pulling the plug.
                          3. Bill Ward - Him leaving the project early on probably took the wind out of the sails a bit.
                          4. Lymphoma - Gonna occupy a great deal of your mind no matter how hard you're trying to keep busy
                          5. General uncertainty. TDYK was another reunion album that went mostly unnoticed by the public at large. Is this 13 project going to end up on the same pile?

Add these things together and it's bound to affect creativity.
                          TDYK proved that Tony and Geezer don't need to use outside producers and nobody else is more qualified to produce a Black Sabbath album than these two men. Quite why Rick Rubin was hired in the first place I don't know. Probably the decision of some label hack trying to create industry buzz.

Comment

I also think the songs they chose for the main album weren't the best picks.

It should've been:

1. End Of The Beginning
                            2. God Is Dead
                            3. Pariah
                            4. Season Of The Dead
                            5. Dear Father
                            6. Isolated Man
                            7. Damaged Soul
                            8. Cry All Night

That would've been a much better album imo.
                            Regarding Kiss of Death, most likely all of the 13 tracks, including the extras. Bible Black is an excellent cut, that will reduce my list almost in half.

70's, you sure had a great Listen!

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                              Glad you enjoyed your Black Sabbath journey 70'sOzzySabbath. Did you get a download card from the Box Set to download all the albums? You told me last time you hadn't opened the Box that you were keeping it sealed?

Just curious as how you listened to the albums without opening the box? I didn't get a download card with mine.

I agree 13 was a beautiful ending to the Sabbath Legacy, only one thing was missing and we all know what that was no need to go into details.
                              There's this website, which had the vast majority of Sabbath albums for download, in which I downloaded the albums from. There were one or two albums that I had to get from other websites, so that's how I got them. By the way, the version of The Eternal Idol I downloaded happened to be the two CD set with the 2nd CD containing the Ray Gillen material on it, which is a nice touch to an already outstanding album!

Comment

Working...
                              X