Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Opinions on Vol 4 album

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Vol 4 album

Curious to hear your thoughts. Does it live up to the first three Sabbath albums for you?

Originally posted by Towelie View Post
    Curious to hear your thoughts. Does it live up to the first three Sabbath albums for you?
    Sometimes Volume Four is my favorite Black Sabbath album.

I see it as their "transition" album (or more accurately, their first transition album) into the more "complex" and varied arrangements of the following albums.

St Vitus Dance is sometimes my favorite Black Sabbath song.

Comment

I agree with Wheels Of Confusion on this one. In my ears, it is the most complete Black Sabbath album because of the variety of styles and perfect from start to finish. Definetely my favorite album from Ozzy's era.

Comment

The heaviest album ever by anyone my fav Sab album epic! Wheels, Snowblind Supernaut Under The Sun doesn't get any better!
        "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
        R. Blackmore

Comment

Fantastic album,it was my favorite Black Sabbath album.Now it is number 3 after Sabbath bloody sabbath and the first album.(favorite songs: Snowblind,Tomorrows dream,Changes,St.vitus dance).
          Last edited by Kennyz; 12-30-2019, 12:37 PM.

Comment

I'm going to sound like a lunatic but here goes:

Although there are many amazing songs on V4, it is forever "yellow" in my mind due mostly to the cover. For some reason the cover of this album has forever colored my opinion of it in a slightly unfavorable light due to I hate yellow.

When you take individual songs and put them in a stream they are often the best.

Comment

Love Vol. 4 as I do the entire Zen Ten Ozzy era catalog.

Vol. 4 to me Of the entire 70’s Great Eight, feels the most coldest and raw of the Sabbath albums, I don’t know if it’s because of the cover or the song Snowblind, it just feels like a Winter album.

Its a heavy album for sure with two of the best Sabbath songs on there, Snowblind and Under The Sun, another favorite St. Vitus Dance, because it’s not your money she’s after, it’s you she really wants.
              "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
              "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
              ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Winter eh? I's always been a late summer, early fall for me...Under the Sun...Yellow cover...Cornucopia reminds me of farms and harvests....and for some reason the chords in Wheels of Confusion around the breakdown/solo bring a farmy vibe to my mind. Decidedly pagan but not as Halloween as Debut and Paranoid or as indoors/winter as MOR.

Comment

For me, Vol 4 was the one Ozzy-era album that took the longest for me to "get." To this day I still can't stand "Changes" and I maintain the songs aren't on the same level as MOR.

Comment

I also under appreciated Vol 4 for several years. I have played it a lot in recent years and rank it 4th, behind Paranoid, Master of Reality, and Black Sabbath. There are a lot of great songs on Vol 4, I wonder how Wheels of Confusion is only my 4th favorite on the album, following Snowblind, Supernaut, and Under the Sun.

Comment

Vol4 the "bridge" from the 3 foundation albums to Sabbath's progression forward ...
                      "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                      R. Blackmore

Comment

Loved it at the first moment I heard Wheels of Confusion through Under the Sun and immediately became my favorite album from Sabbath. Then I heard Never Say Die and its kind of been neck-in-neck ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by BongRattlingGeezer View Post
                          Loved it at the first moment I heard Wheels of Confusion through Under the Sun and immediately became my favorite album from Sabbath. Then I heard Never Say Die and its kind of been neck-in-neck ever since.
                          Yes,Vol.4 and Never say die.Two of Black Sabbath´s greatest albums indeed.

Comment

I'm gonna echo a few people here and say when I *think* about Vol 4, I'm not thrilled about it; it's not the album I go to when I'm asked "what are the best Black Sabbath albums?" However, when I *listen* to it, I really enjoy most of the songs.

Wheels of Confusion, Snowblind, Supernaut, and Under the Sun are amazing.
                            St Vitus' Dance, Cornucopia, and Tomorrow's Dream sound really heavy. I like those. They're good songs.
                            Hell, I even like Changes. I've probably listened to that song more than any song on this album
                            Laguna Sunrise is great! It's my favorite Iommi instrumental song
                            And let's not forget about Fx....on second thought, yeah, let's forget about Fx.

So 9 out of 10 songs I like. Not sure why I don't think highly of it. Maybe it's the name of the album (not very catchy or original) or maybe it's because Vol 4 is between MOR and SBS, 2 fantastic albums that I love.

Comment

Everybody on BSO , read this "RollingStone" review of VOL 4 , from December 7th 1972 , back around the time this album was released , FOR A PERFECT description why ALL 10 TRACKS on this beast , formulate into one of the most "Beautiful" pieces of music in the Black Sabbath catalog.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rol...l-4-91397/amp/

Comment

Working...
                              X