Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geezer Butler's basses 1968-1978

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Geezer Butler's basses 1968-1978

    On the first 2 Fender's, Pre-CBS refers to the date CBS bought the company in 1965, so these 2 were both manufactured prior to 1965. The White John Birch is the same bass in both pictures, it's just that Geezer had to remove the 'Enjoy Cocaine' sticker for the TV broadcast of Cal Jam and he did not put it back on after that. The Rickenbacker was only used live once at the Hammersmith Odeon gig since Geezer had forgotten to bring his other basses, but there is some photographic evidence of him using it at Rockfield rehearsal studio.

    Geezer found that the Starburst Precision had been smashed inside the case when they arrived in Toronto in 1971. He quickly replaced it with the Dan Armstrong. That bass was stolen after the end of the tour, as was the White John Birch a few years later. Recent pictures show that he still has the pinstripe Jaydee Roadie 2 used for the end of the 1978 tour.

    If this does not display correctly here is the link to the full image: https://i.ibb.co/HNxKpdZ/geezer-butlers-basses.png


  • #2
    All these years I've associated Geezer with that Rickenbacker...had no idea it was a one off!
    Cheers

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
      All these years I've associated Geezer with that Rickenbacker...had no idea it was a one off!
      Cheers
      I think a lot of people did, I know I did after seeing him use it on the Never Say Die VHS.


      Here's the interview where he mentions it:

      During Technical Ecstasy [1976] and Never Say Die [1978], you were known to play a Rickenbacker.
      I actually only used the Rickenbacker on one show, and it was the one that was videotaped. It was the bass Glenn Hughes used in Deep Purple. I bought it just as a collectorís piece. We got to that Hammersmith gig, and I had completely forgotten to bring my basses with me. The only one I had with me was the Rickenbacker. Iím not sure why I even had that with me.

      https://www.bassplayer.com/artists/g...wizard-returns

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Rollerjoint View Post
        I think a lot of people did, I know I did after seeing him use it on the Never Say Die VHS.


        Here's the interview where he mentions it:

        During Technical Ecstasy [1976] and Never Say Die [1978], you were known to play a Rickenbacker.
        I actually only used the Rickenbacker on one show, and it was the one that was videotaped. It was the bass Glenn Hughes used in Deep Purple. I bought it just as a collectorís piece. We got to that Hammersmith gig, and I had completely forgotten to bring my basses with me. The only one I had with me was the Rickenbacker. Iím not sure why I even had that with me.

        https://www.bassplayer.com/artists/g...wizard-returns
        Oh Wow, so it turns out that bass is indeed legendary (besides the Hammersmith gig)

        Comment


        • #5
          WTF is an 8 string bass??? Are the extra strings higher or lower? both?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
            WTF is an 8 string bass??? Are the extra strings higher or lower? both?
            Its two of all four strings, basically.
            From what I understand it's the same principle as a 12 string guitar, achieving a sort of chorus effect.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
              Its two of all four strings, basically.
              From what I understand it's the same principle as a 12 string guitar, achieving a sort of chorus effect.
              Wow, seems radically unnecessary.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
                WTF is an 8 string bass??? Are the extra strings higher or lower? both?
                Second strings are tuned an octave higher. Close-up of a 1976 John Birch 8 string:



                Comment


                • #9
                  i always liked this one , i think he used it when he was spinal tap too
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mikesline View Post
                    i always liked this one , i think he used it when he was spinal tap too
                    There's no disputing who Derek Smalls is modelled after!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X