Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Ozzy Did not Sing Other Black Sabbath eras songs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Ozzy Did not Sing Other Black Sabbath eras songs?

Why Ozzy Did not Sing any Other Black Sabbath eras songs?
    Ronnie James Dio or Tony Martin always sing songs like Paranoid,War Pigs and other songs but i never see Ozzy sing songs like Dio Young or Anno Mundi...Why?
    he can't sing as well as Ronnie or Martin ?
    he dont like the other eras songs?
    ect?

Re: Why Ozzy Did not Sing Other Black Sabbath eras song

Well, first, I think he doesn't want to. Remember what he said about how he felt when he saw Dio with Sabbath. It was a bit like seeing your ex-wife with some other guy. If you ever get back with your wife, would you like putting the other guy's clothes on if she asked you ? Seen this way, I can understand why Ozzy might be reluctant about singing the other eras material, but I still find it pretty disrespectfull for Geezer , Bill and mainly Tony who wrote some amazing music without him but aren't allowed to perform it onstage because the Ozzman won't do it.

On the other hand, Ozzy's voice has gotten pretty weak these past few years. He barely manages to perform his own catalogue (solo or with Sabbath) correctly, so don't even think of him trying to do somez Dio or Martin material which are way more difficult, vocally speaking.
    Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies donít use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of ďDehumanizerĒ.
    "Black Sabbath : la BÍte venue de Birmingham"

Comment

And by the way, Dio never performed anything written by those who came after him either. When he came back in 1991/1992, he only ang songs from his own era along with the 70s Ozzy classics. All the Gillan, Hughes and Martin tears were forgotten.
      Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies donít use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of ďDehumanizerĒ.

Comment

Come on, I know that this topic has been talked about at least a dozen times on this board.

Here are the reasons Ozzy does not sing post Ozzy-era songs:

1. He does not consider the post Ozzy-era real Black Sabbath

2. Those singers are all far more technically accomplished than Ozzy, so he'd be unable to sing most of the songs anyway.

3. Ozzy sticks to a rigid setlist that he does not like to deviate from.

4. It is extremely rare for the "popular" singer to rejoin his old band and sing his replacements' songs. Iron Maiden is one of the few exceptions (Tony Martin singing songs from "Dehumanizer" does not count because Tony Martin was never the "popular" singer in Black Sabbath). For example, you do not hear Joey Belladonna sing John Bush songs on the Anthrax reunion tour, you don't hear Halford sing songs from the Ripper-fronted albums at a Judas Priest show, and you don't hear Ian Gillian singing songs from "Burn" or "Stormbringer" or "Come Taste The Band".

5. Those other singers sing Ozzy-era songs because they joined an established band and cannot simply ignore its most popular era. You couldn't sing for Sabbath and pretend like the Ozzy-era did not happen because the Ozzy-era is what Sabbath is best known for. Ozzy can ignore the stuff that followed him because its nowhere near as popular as what he did. The majority of the people who go to see Sabbath in concert expect to hear "Paranoid" or "War Pigs" or "Black Sabbath" no matter who is singing. They don't go see Sabbath with Ozzy singing and expect to hear somthing from "Seventh Star" or "Tyr".

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          It is extremely rare for the "popular" singer to rejoin his old band and sing his replacements' songs. Iron Maiden is one of the few exceptions (Tony Martin singing songs from "Dehumanizer" does not count because Tony Martin was never the "popular" singer in Black Sabbath). For example, you do not hear Joey Belladonna sing John Bush songs on the Anthrax reunion tour, you don't hear Halford sing songs from the Ripper-fronted albums at a Judas Priest show, and you don't hear Ian Gillian singing songs from "Burn" or "Stormbringer" or "Come Taste The Band".

[/ QUOTE ]

True, and this makes the Bruce Dickinson case the most bizarre of the lot. I mean, the man must be one of the biggest ego on the rock scene, but still he sings material from the Blaze era ever since he came back in the band (and does it bloody well. I remember hearing "The Clansman" in Paris on the 9/9/99 reunion show, and I got goosebump !)

Thinking of Gillan, didn't I read somewhere that he has sung "Burn" onstage some times ?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Thinking of Gillan, didn't I read somewhere that he has sung "Burn" onstage some times ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I read on the Q&A on Gillian's website that he doesn't do those songs because he doesn't feel he can do them "justice". Maybe he did them a long time ago, but he doesn't do them now.

Comment

AFAIK, Gillan singing Burn was only a rumour.
              The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Comment

I'm not sure but maybe some people here can enlighten me about Motley Crue and Van Halen. Also Halford said he would have no problem singing Tim Owen's stuff, although some people are skeptical about that. Also what about KISS. When they reunited with Ace & Peter did they only play the classic stuff or did they play the other stuff?
                "I want to tell you, yeah
                How Good It Feels
                Sleeping here with you tonight
                And thatís for real"
                -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Also what about KISS. When they reunited with Ace & Peter did they only play the classic stuff or did they play the other stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

They never played anything from other lineups when I saw them, which was in '96, '97 and '99.
                  >>TECHNICIńNS ÷F SPŇCE
                  SHIP EŇRTH THIS IS
                  Y÷‹R CńPTŇIN SPEńKING
                  Y÷‹R ōŇPTŇIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

I doubt that Motley Crue does any of the John Corabi material live since that album was a commercial failure.

As for Van Halen, I'm sure that Hagar does not sing any of the Cherone stuff. He might sing the DLR stuff, but that's a different situation because Hagar replaced Roth in VH. But the Hagar stuff was even more commercially successful than the Roth stuff, so Hagar might not sing any of the Roth stuff, although I'm sure he did on the earlier tours.

Comment

Hagar definately sings Roth songs, and I don't think he can do them well at all. Roth is the only person in the world who can sing like himself.

Comment

Well, I think in the 70's Ozzy could do justice to Anno Mundi or just Die YOung, but now... he canīt really handle his own material, which is a shame..

PS: Bruce Dickinson singing for Paul Dianno musics is really awful..
                        And that's why John Lynner Tunner have my respect. When he joined Purple, he did Burn, and not only Gillan material.
                        Can't you see what I see
                        You and I victims of Their word
                        As the master of power
                        Try to poison our world
                        ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Also Halford said he would have no problem singing Tim Owen's stuff, although some people are skeptical about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one that really burns me. Lots of fans were excited to see Halford try some Owens stuff, but now even Owens says that that'll never happen.

Comment

I don't think you can bash him for the AOR tour cause it was a reunion tour. I know technically Ozzfest 04 was the reunion tour but that was last minute
                            "I want to tell you, yeah
                            How Good It Feels
                            Sleeping here with you tonight
                            And thatís for real"
                            -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Comment

Basically,I would never want Ozzy(today anyway) to sing a Dio/Gillan/Hughes/Martin song.It would just sound horrible.Just as stated before,he csn barely sing his own material.

Comment

Working...
                              X