Who owns the Black Sabbath trademark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who owns the Black Sabbath trademark?

Loudwire: Sharon Osbourne the wife of Sabbath singer and solo artist Ozzy Osbourne, has set the record straight on what portion of the outfit holds the rights to the classic metal moniker.

"Ozzy and Tony own the name. Each 50%, Geezer and Bill don't. So it's Ozzy and Tony … and they are partners in Black Sabbath. Ozzy and Tony are equal. And, the other guys — it's kind of like pay-for-play." But that doesn't mean Ozzy, Iommi, Butler and Ward aren't on good terms with each other. Recently, Ward expressed interest in coming back should Sabbath reform. Perhaps in a nod to that direction, Iommi has tons of new material ready to record. As for Butler, he "wouldn't say never" to the opportunity.

"Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
    R. Blackmore

Shouldn't all four have equal ownership in the name? All four are equal founding members
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
      Shouldn't all four have equal ownership in the name? All four are equal founding members
      It's not a question of who should and who shouldn't. It's a question of business. Tony is the one who soldiered on through the years and kept the Sabbath name alive and Ozzy is the most recognizable and most famous member. Plus there's probably more stuff behind the scnens with deals being made and people selling their share of the brand than we know about. Kind of like in Kiss when Ace & Peter sold their characters to Gene & Paul.
      you got a killer scene there, man...

http://10000years.bandcamp.com
      http://www.facebook.com/TenThousandyrs
      http://www.facebook.com/DVRSweden

Comment

Originally posted by Ala View Post

It's not a question of who should and who shouldn't. It's a question of business. Tony is the one who soldiered on through the years and kept the Sabbath name alive and Ozzy is the most recognizable and most famous member. Plus there's probably more stuff behind the scnens with deals being made and people selling their share of the brand than we know about. Kind of like in Kiss when Ace & Peter sold their characters to Gene & Paul.
        It’s possible and most likely Geezer and Bill fidn’t want to spend their money fighting it too, I’m sure Ozzy had the money to fight it and win rights to the name.
        Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 08-11-2020, 08:32 AM.
        "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
        "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
          "Ozzy and Tony own the name. Each 50%, Geezer and Bill don't. So it's Ozzy and Tony … and they are partners in Black Sabbath. Ozzy and Tony are equal. And, the other guys — it's kind of like pay-for-play."

If this is true,it will be difficult for Tony to start up Black Sabbath again without asking Ozzy and Sharon first.
          Maybe he have to pay them?

Comment

It kind of sucks for Geezer though as he wrote many of those songs. Bill well has been in and out of the band so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ala View Post

It's not a question of who should and who shouldn't. It's a question of business. Tony is the one who soldiered on through the years and kept the Sabbath name alive and Ozzy is the most recognizable and most famous member.

Plus there's probably more stuff behind the scenes with deals being made and people selling their share of the brand than we know about. Kind of like in Kiss when Ace & Peter sold their characters to Gene & Paul.

Good point Ala. Unfortunately, there was no way that the reunion was going to be a "partnership". However, they all knew that more money could be made together than apart.

For Ozzy's part, he simply had more leverage (with the '98 reunion) because of his successful solo career. Had that not happened, Iommi would've likely had the "upper hand" in those negotiations, in my view.

It brings to mind the verbiage in the May 2009 lawsuit that Ozzy filed against Tony. Paraphrasing here: Ozzy stated that he was "largely responsible" for the band's success during its original tenure. For that reason, he "deserved" 50% of the pie.

In contrast, he also contended that Iommi exclusively took the Black Sabbath name "into the toilet" in the mid-80s. Without the reunion, it would've remained there in Ozzy's mind.

I guess in short order, I disagree with Ozzy's overinflated sense of worth to the band's success. However, I absolutely agree the Black Sabbath name was indeed dragged through the mud during the years when Iommi was the only original member left.

As a result, an (eventual) reunion of the original four was inevitable. Fairly or unfairly, rightly or wrongly.

Comment

Info made here by sharon
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRFrdMCplPY&t=932s

Comment

Originally posted by sellingmysoul View Post
                  It kind of sucks for Geezer though as he wrote many of those songs. Bill well has been in and out of the band so much.
                  I agree Geezer wrote all the songs with the original Sab Four, mostly all of them, no better lyricist than Geezer.
                  Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 08-11-2020, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post

I agree Geezer wrote all the songs with the original Sab Four, mostly all of them, no better lyricist than Geezer.
                    yea its hard to think of Geezer as "pay to play" .."ah we need a lyracist, I hear this guy "Geezer" Butler is pretty good plays a decent bass too ... "

I assume all the original band members get copy writes as in albums sold or if their songs are used in commercials, etc... they get a %???
                    Last edited by Wicked Cricket; 08-12-2020, 08:23 AM.
                    "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                    R. Blackmore

Comment

The Stones have a similar arrangement, Jagger/Richards own the name Woods Watts Darrel Jones are "pay to play"
                      R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
                        The Stones have a similar arrangement, Jagger/Richards own the name Woods Watts Darrel Jones are "pay to play"

True WC. In this case though, there's a significant difference: Watts never left the band. Talk about reliable!

As a founding member, this is one scenario where Charlie should definitely be a partner alongside Jagger and Richards, in my opinion.

To this day, he's still one of the best timekeepers in the business!

Comment

Originally posted by A Sabbath Historian View Post

True WC. In this case though, there's a significant difference: Watts never left the band. Talk about reliable!

As a founding member, this is one scenario where Charlie should definitely be a partner alongside Jagger and Richards, in my opinion.

To this day, he's still one of the best timekeepers in the business!
                          yea was thinking the same thing original member always can be counted on agree should be a 3 way split in some capacity
                          R. Blackmore

Comment

always liked the way Sabbath put Iommi/Osbourne/Butler/Ward on writing credits ... in reality it's Iommi/Butler who should get the most credit...
                            R. Blackmore

Comment

Bill and Geezer probably do gets the copyright royalties from the songs. They just maybe don't have the official right in reissuing/remixing the albums?
                              Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
                              Premonition of a shattered world thatís gonna die.
                              In the age of reason, how do we survive?
                              The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

Comment

Working...
                              X