No announcement yet.

Who owns the Black Sabbath trademark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't Tony buy out Bill's share of the band around 1984-ish when he was broke (homeless?)? I think I heard that somewhere once, but I don't recall where. Perhaps Tony and/or Ozzy did that with Geezer at some point as well?

All four are still registered as songwriters with ASCAP in the catalog, so I would think Bill and Geezer must be getting some royalties. Unless it's something like Tony 24%, Ozzy 24%, Geezer 1%, Bill 1%, publisher 50%, where Tony and/or Ozzy bought out Geezer and Bill for a majority of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
      Loudwire: Sharon Osbourne the wife of Sabbath singer and solo artist Ozzy Osbourne, has set the record straight on what portion of the outfit holds the rights to the classic metal moniker.

"Ozzy and Tony own the name. Each 50%, Geezer and Bill don't. So it's Ozzy and Tony … and they are partners in Black Sabbath. Ozzy and Tony are equal. And, the other guys — it's kind of like pay-for-play." But that doesn't mean Ozzy, Iommi, Butler and Ward aren't on good terms with each other. Recently, Ward expressed interest in coming back should Sabbath reform. Perhaps in a nod to that direction, Iommi has tons of new material ready to record. As for Butler, he "wouldn't say never" to the opportunity.

Ya , those numbers are not correct ....

Further thoughts ,,, the unique 'one of a kind' greatness that is the original 4 , sets them apart from EVERY other "Just another band" .... Yet without the creative genius that is Tony Iommi , Fate and Circumstance - that is all Sabbath would have been - The best of the "Just another band" club , instead of what they became ,, and what they became is so much more.

Iommi took Sabbath to levels never seen before - The highest quality historical music experience in existence today , yesterday or tomorrow .... could you imagine the palate of impeccable music at the fingertips of a brand new Sabbath fan today - WOW!

... Side thought - appearances of the original 4 on "The Sabbath 27" studio releases -

Ozzy 11

Ward 12

- putting them both right in line with Geoff Nicholls with 12 studio album appearances.

Geezer 17

.... and obviously Iommi can be found on / in / breathing / IS "The Sabbath 27" !!

Comment

It just baffles me that Sharon said Geezer is a “ pay to play” musician for the band.. Geezer and Bill should say FU guys and record a few songs together with Dewey Bragg and Zack Wilde. It would be killer.

Comment

Originally posted by sellingmysoul View Post
          It just baffles me that Sharon said Geezer is a “ pay to play” musician for the band.. Geezer and Bill should say FU guys and record a few songs together with Dewey Bragg and Zack Wilde. It would be killer.

Like Ala stated earlier, Geezer isn't a "partner" in Sabbath--- on paper that is. Hence, the "pay-for-play" comment.

I do understand that context, however, I agree $haron is indeed a piece of shit!

That said, "partner" or not, Geezer's contributions to the band remain intact. No contract can ever change that.

As for new music, the four original members should be involved at this juncture if any future projects materialize. Black Sabbath marketed as a trio just doesn't cut it with me.

Comment

I knew Tony had the rights, but Ozzy sued so they must have settled on 50/50. Hard to believe that Tony only ended with 50%, but they had to agree so they could tour together and make a lot more money.

As for the Stones I had read that Ronnie Wood was a pay to play player until Bill Wyman left and then they made him a full member.

In Megadeth, Dave Ellefson is a pay to play player, but he says he's ok with it. He doesn't have the headaches and can just play.

Comment

Originally posted by black zeppelin View Post
              Hard to believe that Tony only ended with 50%
              It's hard to believe , because it is incorrect .....

Originally posted by A Sabbath Historian View Post

That said, "partner" or not, Geezer's contributions to the band remain intact. No contract can ever change that.

​​​​​​​Well stated ....

Comment

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...h-suit-188750/
                "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                R. Blackmore

Comment

I think it's absurd to think of Bill and Geezer pay as they play musicians.

So according to the Rolling Stone article, which I've read before, states that Ozzy felt that all four founding members should get equal ownership of the name, which I agree to, then it says Iommi reclaimed sole ownership of the Black Sabbath name.

So which one is it, I thought Ozzy won and it had to be divided?
                  "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                  "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                  ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Originally posted by A Sabbath Historian View Post

Like Ala stated earlier, Geezer isn't a "partner" in Sabbath--- on paper that is. Hence, the "pay-for-play" comment.

I do understand that context, however, I agree $haron is indeed a piece of shit!

As for new music, the four original members should be involved at this juncture if any future projects materialize. Black Sabbath marketed as a trio just doesn't cut it with me.

Good point A Sabbath Historian.

Comment

looking on the official website for Black Sabbath, it only lists the Ozzy albums and Bill is not in any pictures, this is also from the site "Black Sabbath persevered through a succession of lineup changes that sometimes did and sometimes didn’t include Butler and Ward. Several of Black Sabbath’s post-Osbourne albums - especially Heaven and Hell (1980), Mob Rules (1981) and Headless Cross (1989) - are highly regarded by hardcore fans. But when all was said and done, the classic lineup could not be bested."

I think this shows where the rights lay

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                        I think it's absurd to think of Bill and Geezer pay as they play musicians.

So according to the Rolling Stone article, which I've read before, states that Ozzy felt that all four founding members should get equal ownership of the name, which I agree to, then it says Iommi reclaimed sole ownership of the Black Sabbath name.

So which one is it, I thought Ozzy won and it had to be divided?
                        He did win it was split 50/50 Ozzy Tony .. funny Ozzy wanted to split 4 ways EQUALLY when Tony had 100% to himself.
                        Last edited by Wicked Cricket; 08-17-2020, 05:32 AM.
                        "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                        R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post

He did win it was split 50/50 Ozzy Tony .. funny Ozzy wanted to split 4 ways EQUALLY when Tony had 100% to himself.
                          Yes that is funny that he wanted that, he could’ve given Bill and Geezer their percentage out of the goodness of his heart, which I believe is good.
                          "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                          "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                          ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Back To Eden, if it's not 50%. Do you know what it is?

Comment

[QUOTE=BACK TO EDEN;n647136]

BTE whats incorrect? It's what Sharon revealed on Aug 10th on a recent episode of Steve-O's Wild Ride podcast with the TV personality and Jackass co-star.

R. Blackmore

Comment

[QUOTE=Wicked Cricket;n647216]
                                Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post

BTE whats incorrect? It's what Sharon revealed on Aug 10th on a recent episode of Steve-O's Wild Ride podcast with the TV personality and Jackass co-star.

Originally posted by black zeppelin View Post

Back To Eden, if it's not 50%. Do you know what it is?

Sharon is out of her mind , the Black Sabbath "name" and Black Sabbath "trademark" are marketed under 2 different set of rules - and NEW , not already existing material , must fall under the "trademark" rules , giving Sharon a "quasi" piece of the pie ... and limiting Iommi on how he can market NON Ozzy Era Sabbath - but can easily still be done.

Going with blindfolds here from what I remember from the final papers - The Sabbath "name" is 75% Iommi , 25% Ozzy ,, Non Oz era 100% Iommi , yet somehow Geezer , Ward , Dio , Martin (TYR only?) and Powell still get some kind of royalties from the "name" ,, sidenote 'Heaven n Hell' , the band , if I remember correctly is 20% Vinny (great score!) 80% split evenly between Iommi , Geezer , Dio ,, Oz era "trademark" 50% Iommi (actually a tad higher based on Sabbath "name" past Oz era merchandising) , 50% Ozzy (but more control on how future Oz era material is marketed) - Geezer and Ward still somehow get some kind of certain royalties based on the situation from the Sabbath "name" ,, Geezer also gets 33% of concert "merchandise" and what we call 'pay and play' - is more than you might think (Geezer does very well).

From my understanding , Sharon is a tad high on herself and a bit full of sh*t.

Comment

Working...
                                X