Cross Purposes artwork - inspiration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross Purposes artwork - inspiration?

Could this be an inspiration for the Cross Purposes artwork?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_an_angel.jpg
    http://www.last.fm/user/MusicFan91

Interesting find, to say the least! "Inspiration" is a bit too soft, considering this seems to be the exact same picture...

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy the O View Post
      Interesting find, to say the least! "Inspiration" is a bit too soft, considering this seems to be the exact same picture...
      what? Aside from the wings and flames it's different (BS had a female, Scorpions has a male) and Scorpions released that album 4 years before Cross Purposes was released.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelWayne View Post
        what? Aside from the wings and flames it's different (BS had a female, Scorpions has a male) and Scorpions released that album 4 years before Cross Purposes was released.
        Come on. As much as I hate to admit this, it seems obvious that the front cover of "Cross Purposes" (one of my top favorite album cover) is definitely a rippoff of this single's cover. When you put the two images together, then you see that the two pictures have slight differences, such as the hands positions, the hair, the size of the flames, but basically, they're the same : same pose, same subject, same color patern.

Maybe the same artist sold the same concept twice, thinking no one would remember the cover of a vinyl single released four years before ? (and, in a way, he wasn't wrong about this as it took us only 14 years to figure this out )

The cover art for "Cross Purposes" was created by Matt Curtis. Could anyone find who did the cover for Scorpions' "Send Me an Angel" single ?
        Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies donít use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of ďDehumanizerĒ.
        "Black Sabbath : la BÍte venue de Birmingham"

Comment

But the Sabs version I like more.
          "I don't sound like nobody"

Comment

Maybe Joe could find out more? Or anybody else for that matter.
            Last edited by Metal Priest; 04-27-2009, 12:48 PM.

Comment

I saw this picture on a Scorpions 12" at a record fair years ago. I was really shocked and thought that Scorpions ripped Sabbath off but it seems its the other way around.

Cross Purposes is probably my favorite Sabbath cover, so imagine my feeling haha

Anyways I was surprised no real attention was giving to this fact back in 1994...
              When will you show me a sign
              When will you throw me a line

Comment

Looks like the artwork for "Send me an Angel" were done by
                Artwork By [Cover Design] - Mainartery
                Artwork By [Direction] - Barry Barnes , Liz Brooks
                http://www.discogs.com/Scorpions-Sen...elease/1954159

Comment

They ripped off a Ziggy!

Comment

Pretty funny that neither band has ever commented on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Metal Priest View Post
                      Maybe Joe could find out more? Or anybody else for that matter.
                      I never knew about this until today. Yes - great find. Last time something like this happened, I got a story out of it (the guy who did the Born Again cover art). Click here to read that if you haven't.

I've put out some feelers. I've asked a few people about it (Tony's manager, Geezer Butler, Tony Martin, Bobby Rondinelli). I'll definitely report back on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Send_Me...corpions_song)

If you go there, it mentions it, and also says that neither band has ever commented on it.
                      Last edited by Joe Siegler; 11-01-2010, 08:02 AM.
                      Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
                      View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

Originally posted by Gardener View Post
                        Come on. As much as I hate to admit this, it seems obvious that the front cover of "Cross Purposes" (one of my top favorite album cover) is definitely a rippoff of this single's cover. When you put the two images together, then you see that the two pictures have slight differences, such as the hands positions, the hair, the size of the flames, but basically, they're the same : same pose, same subject, same color patern.

Maybe the same artist sold the same concept twice, thinking no one would remember the cover of a vinyl single released four years before ? (and, in a way, he wasn't wrong about this as it took us only 14 years to figure this out )

The cover art for "Cross Purposes" was created by Matt Curtis. Could anyone find who did the cover for Scorpions' "Send Me an Angel" single ?
                        The photography was taken by Peter Mountain - so it might be an idea to track him down and see what his take on the art commissions were - maybe he can shed some insight on the art being used on two different projects by two different bands (incidentally, Send Me An Angel by the Scorpions is a beautiful ballad and is my favourite song off the Crazy World album).

Personally, I love the photo - it's probably my favourite Black Sabbath artwork alongside Keef's cover for Black Sabbath.

Comment

I asked about it.

Iommi's manager told me that they didn't do that, it was likely done by "someone at IRS". He also said that had they known the art was used elsewhere, they wouldn't have used it for the Black Sabbath cover at all.
                          Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
                          View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

Working...
                          X