Tyr- best Sabbath album ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyr- best Sabbath album ever?

I like to think that I have a generally reliable taste in music. But people seem to find it odd that my favorite album of all time (from any band) is Black Sabbath's 1990 album Tyr. I just think it is absolute musical bliss-- everything from Anno Mundi (which also happens to be my all-time favorite song) to the melodic Jerusalem, to the hard rocking Valhalla to brilliant closer Heaven In Black. The general consensus with many people, strangely enough, is that this is the worst Black Sabbath album ever. I don't get it-- to me, this is the greatest album I have ever heard (with the possible exception of Captain Beyond's self-titled debut album) and I don't understand why others seem to hate it. Every second of this album captures me every time I listen to it, and the fact that Tony Martin is my favorite singer certainly helps matters as well. This album just blows me away in every sense, and it boggles my mind that others despise it so much.

Re: Tyr- best Sabbath album ever?

Yeah, I've never understood why TYR gets so many complaints. "Valhalla" is easily one of my all-time favorite Black Sabbath songs. I thought it was the album that marked a great and necessary stability for the band. That line-up just worked so incredibly well together. Anybody who hears the album can realize that this is a BAND, not Iommi with random session musicians. Tony Martin had really found his voice. Cozy was just that kind of bombastic drummer that made you want to play air drums as you listened. Neil Murray locks in great with Cozy, and really shines in "The Sabbath Stones". Geoff Nicholls adds the atmosphere that truly gives TYR a different feel than the rest of their albums, especially in songs like "Feels Good To Me". And of course, Tony Iommi shows no shortage of his signature riffs and solos here; I absolutely love the layering he does over "Jerusalem".

I think one of the problems is that "Feels Good To Me" was the only song ever really promoted from the album. I definitely love that song, but I don't think the record companies made the best move in chosing the "most radio-friendly song" to promote. The target audience was still ultimately heavy metal fans, and I think more people would have liked the heavier songs of Tyr had they only heard them.

Speaking of TYR, there's an RPG store not far from where I live, and my girlfriend and I bought this 2-player card game called "Odin's Ravens". While we were playing, I just had to play TYR. Perfect soundtrack.

Comment

Here's a random link for you. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.black-sabbath.com/gallery/misc/tyrlogo
      Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
      View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

Thanks Joe-- I like it so much I made it my avatar. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I bought this album the day it came out, and I've always been really fond of it. Seems a bit short, though. Quality over quantity, I guess...

The moment when "Odin's Court" moves into "Valhalla" always finds me rockin' out pretty hard, no matter where I'm at. That's some seriously good stuff.

Comment

It's definately one of my favorites!
            Strip out "Feels Good to Me" which just doesn't fit in, and the rest of the cd is incredible from start to finish.
            I can't understand why so many reviews out there give it one star (i.e. Allmusic and Rolling Stone). The disk is well written & has incredible melody & just plain rocks.

Comment

Honestly, Tyr is my least favorite Sabbath album... But it's grown on me a lot in the ten years since I bought it. "Valhalla" and "Heaven in Black" are each worth the price of the CD IMO, and there are some other good moments as well. Overall, though, the first half of Cross Purposes is much better, as is most of The Eternal Idol and a good deal of Headless Cross and Forbidden.

To each their own, of course... I'd just like to hear another Martin Sabbath album, but obviously the chances of that are basically nil. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

--T.J.

Comment

Tyr's a terrific album, but nowhere near the top, IMO. Of just the post-Ozzy stuff, its a lot closer to the top of that. I would put it fifth, behind the three Dio albums, and Cross Purposes (another great album).
                Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Comment

Tyr is NOT a SABBATH album. It is IOMMI solo material.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure you're not thinking of Seventh Star?
                    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Tyr is actually a very good album, and is quite a bit more like Sabbath than say, Seventh Star or Forbidden (disgusting album in my opinion) was. Even though that (Seventh Star), too, was a very good album.
                        How could this poison be the dream of my soul
                        How did my fantasies take complete control, yeah

Comment

I think Tyr is by far ONE of the best Sabbath studio albums. Every song matters on that album....there is no filler.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Tyr is actually a very good album, and is quite a bit more like Sabbath than say, Seventh Star or Forbidden (disgusting album in my opinion) was. Even though that (Seventh Star), too, was a very good album.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, BOTH Tyr and Seventh Star are Sabbath albums. TYR was always considered one, Seventh Star was originally intended to be an Iommi solo album, but was changed to Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi due to record company pressure. As for whether the material on S.S. was written specifically with an Iommi solo project in mind is still a matter of debate, but I think its safe to assume that at least some of that material was written to be released that way.
                            Damian
                            Super Moderator
                            Black-Sabbath.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                              I feel I pose this question in response to that statement:
                              Are you on crack? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
                              Tyr is a fucking masterpiece. There should be no question what-so-ever that this is indeed in all ways a true Black Sabbath album.
                              It is also the album responsible for my finally switching to cd's from vinyl. At the time I was one of the die hard stand-outs that refused to convert but when I went to purchase the, at then, new Sabbath album I was informed that it was not available in lp format. Since I've always despised cassettes I had little choice. And since Sears had the kindness to extend me credit I went for broke an invested in an entire brand new component Technics stereo system, complete with a 5-disc cd player. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X