Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tyr- best Sabbath album ever?

[ QUOTE ]
    I must say that GEEZER wrote all the lyrics up until 1980. So, I would have to say that IOMMI and GEEZER were equal. Those riffs are the GREATEST, but the LYRICS made it all sound so perfect.

I am a drummer and I love Bill. He's my fave Sab drummer next to Rondinelli. Ozzy is a lovable guy. But I say it's IOMMI and BUTLER which make SABBATH so great!

Just listen to CROSS PURPOSES.... It took 11 years for BLACK SABBATH to make that killer album.

[/ QUOTE ]

And Cross Purposes certainly had better lyrics than Forbidden.

But Rob, you KNOW I play guitar, so I have no choice but to credit Iommi with the riffs as being (at least a little) more important than the lyrics.

The lyrics to War Pigs would sound pretty silly if sung to "Pop Goes the Weasel," but Pop Goes the Weasel would sound damn sinister if sung to War Pigs! IMO, of course! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] (place beer mug icon HERE)

Comment

I know how you feel. That's cool, bro! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Tyr isn't the best Sabbath album, but there is a good case for it being the best Tony Martin Sabbath album. The Eternal Idol and The Headless Cross both contain some classic moments ('The Shining', 'Glory Ride', 'The Headless Cross', blah blah blah), Cross Purposes is good once you get into it, and Forbidden is severely underrated, but Tyr is probably the most consistent TM album. 'Jerusalem' is pretty much the dictionary definition of the word 'epic' and it is one of Sabbath's best songs of any era, but 'Anno Mundi' is also memorable and even the lesser tracks ('Feels Good To Me', 'Odin's Court') are perfectly acceptable. It's just a shame this line-up of Sabbath didn't stay together, because while 'Dehumanizer' rocks like a mother, I can't help but wonder what would have happened if the Tyr line-up had made another album straight away, instead of five years later

Where will you turn when it all goes wrong, and you're on your own?

Comment

@Racer: Did you ever hear such hard drum playing before Sabbath with Ward? I think not, he made Black Sabbath sound hard. Buttler gave them the dark evil sound and Iommi made great guitar riffs. Ozzy was the perfect singer for the band. Iommi just got the head because the Metal scene mostly care about guitarrists.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            @Racer: Did you ever hear such hard drum playing before Sabbath with Ward? I think not, he made Black Sabbath sound hard. Buttler gave them the dark evil sound and Iommi made great guitar riffs. Ozzy was the perfect singer for the band. Iommi just got the head because the Metal scene mostly care about guitarrists.

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed the whole point ... yeah, the "metal scene" cares mostly about guitarists ... but there was NO metal scene before Sabbath. There were hard rock bands, but nothing like what Iommi's riffs created.

And personally I think John Bonham was a pretty heavy drummer, and he was documented on vinyl before Ward. Sabbath with Bonham would have sounded hard - it was Bonham's drums that gave Zeppelin their early hard sound, not so much Page's bluesy guitar.

Comment

Tyr is a GREAT album. Much better than the garbage that was coming out at the time but let's really put it into perspective. The record has one of the best line-ups in all of Hard Rock. The musicianship is top notch. The production is good. The songwritting is good. The cover art is good. For 1990 I'd give Tyr a 7.5 out of 10. Rating it agaist the entire Sabbath catalog it has to fall behind all the Ozzy, Dio and Gillan material. Tyr is very generic by standards and a concept album based on Norse Mythology is not very "Sabbathy" let's face it.

Straight ahead 80's style precision drumming.

the bass certainly doesn't make you want to strap on an "air bass" and rock out.

lyrics based on a concept of Norse Myth

riffs but not the monster riffs we've known Mr. Iommi for.

a much greater keyboard presense.

Look folks...it's a good record but hardly possess's any of the groove oriented, orchestrational drumming of Ward or the "in your face" bass thumping from Geezer or those sinister riffs and leads from Iommi and the innosense of Ozzy's wailing. Anotherwords...it's very generic. Epic but generic.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Straight ahead 80's style precision drumming.

[/ QUOTE ]
                While I don't necessarily disagree, I did think that TYR was nonetheless Cozy's best recording with Sabbath.

Comment

I'd have to day that Tyr, along with Forbidden, is a among my least fav Sabbath albums. Maybe I just couldn't get into the themes, but I found it forced lyrically. While not a terrible or bad album as I still own and give it an occasional spin, it just never hit the mark for me personally. That being said, to those of you who hold it high esteem, more power to you.

Cheers.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I'd have to day that Tyr, along with Forbidden, is a among my least fav Sabbath albums. Maybe I just couldn't get into the themes, but I found it forced lyrically. While not a terrible or bad album as I still own and give it an occasional spin, it just never hit the mark for me personally. That being said, to those of you who hold it high esteem, more power to you.

Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a cool msg. Usually msgs that disagree are "Fuck you - YOU SUCK!" How refreshing to see this.
                    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
                    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a cool msg. Usually msgs that disagree are "Fuck you - YOU SUCK!" How refreshing to see this.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should ban him for violating Message Board Etiquette! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                      tsk...tsk... What would Martha Stewart say.

Comment

I,ve had Tyr in the player for last 2 days.I love it bro.

Comment

And since his MTV and other commitments made by his manager are keeping Sabbath from recording a new studio album, Ozzy's STILL holding Sabbath back.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me this is untrue. Tony should just get somebody else, Martin or Hughes.

Comment

Personally I find the lyrics cliched and the cover slightly childish and embarrassing. The music is on the whole great, apart from Feels Good To Me.
                            Overall a good album. Personally I prefer Headless Cross - a little darker.
                            I remember when it was released being in a record shop and a couple of my mates holding it up saying "hey look the latest Black Sabbath record" to much merriment. They were into non-heavy metal stuff. To them the whole heavy metal thing's a hoot!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

And since his MTV and other commitments made by his manager are keeping Sabbath from recording a new studio album, Ozzy's STILL holding Sabbath back.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              To me this is untrue. Tony should just get somebody else, Martin or Hughes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither Tony Martin nor Glenn Hughes will ever sing as part of "Black Sabbath" again. Iommi solo maybe, but never as Black Sabbath!

Comment

Tyr is one of My favorite too, but after next 2 albums).
                                I love more dark Sabbath albums or prog, but this is one favorite from melody albums)

Comment

Working...
                                X