Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Cross purposes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cross purposes

[ QUOTE ]
    Same here! And I always wondered if that line "It's time to kiss the rainbow goodbye" had a double meaning, namely a reference to the fact that Ronnie James Dio was out of the band.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the theory. Tony Martin was asked about that in several interviews, and as I recall he was cagey about it, and didn't formally answer "yes", but I believe it was.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      Psychophobia is one of my favorite Sab songs

[/ QUOTE ]

Though somebody else once pointed out that Bobby Rondinelli had also just left the band Rainbow at this time, so who knows, maybe there are up to three meanings here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cross Purposes was worked on primarilly towards the end of 1993ish, Rondinelli had left Rainbow sometime in 1982ish.

So an 11 year difference.

Comment

Psycophobia is certainly best song in this album certainly the slow part in between that tony martin sings then after that a fantastic heavy riff my Master Tony Iommi sounds....great.
        http://www.facebook.com/cosmicchants
        https://soundcloud.com/cosmicchants
        http://www.myspace.com/cosmicchants

Comment

I Love this album, it's my favorite Martin's work (Geezer rules)

Comment

The album is certainly a Martin gem. It has a lot of quality songs and lyrics, and it's an album I do truly love.
            How could this poison be the dream of my soul
            How did my fantasies take complete control, yeah

Comment

I really love Cross Purposes...
              What can I say...?
              A masterpiece from god himself...

God is Dying for love!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]
                Psychophobia is one of my favorite Sab songs

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here! And I always wondered if that line "It's time to kiss the rainbow goodbye" had a double meaning, namely a reference to the fact that Ronnie James Dio was out of the band. Though somebody else once pointed out that Bobby Rondinelli had also just left the band Rainbow at this time, so who knows, maybe there are up to three meanings here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was probably left over from Dehumanizer, as someone said, since that is actually a really Dio-ish lyric.

Comment

possible you know dio he says rainbow to god damn much.

Comment

Has anyone ever noticed the similarity between Cardinal Sin and some of the songs on Dio's Master of the Moon? The first riff is very similar to MOTM, and the fast riff resembles Living the Lie.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]
                      Same here! And I always wondered if that line "It's time to kiss the rainbow goodbye" had a double meaning, namely a reference to the fact that Ronnie James Dio was out of the band.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the theory. Tony Martin was asked about that in several interviews, and as I recall he was cagey about it, and didn't formally answer "yes", but I believe it was.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      I remember reading part of an interview with Martin, posted to the mailing list IIRC, where he was asked about this. He laughed and said no, that wasn't it but found the interperation amusing.

It was in the mailing list more than three years ago I'm sure, otherwise I'd search for it...

--T.J.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        It was in the mailing list more than three years ago I'm sure, otherwise I'd search for it...

[/ QUOTE ]

I jacked up the search limit. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

On the live version the song Black Sabbath what is the part between the bells and the main riff????
                          "I want to tell you, yeah
                          How Good It Feels
                          Sleeping here with you tonight
                          And thatís for real"
                          -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Comment

That's a good album, my favorite song is "I Witness" with "Back To Eden" in second place.

"Cross Of Thorns" and "Dying For Love" were also really good, but "Psychophobia" was just meh to me, along with the rest of the record.

By the way Joe, are you sure that EVH didn't play on "Evil Eye"? The intro solo sounds like something only he could play. Altough the main solo sounds more Iommi-ish.
                            The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Comment

This is indeed a strong album but not the best from TM era IMO. I find "The hand that rocks the cradle", "Cross Of Thorns" and "Dying For Love" to be EXCELENT songs. The rest are OK to me but nothing great. I guess the they are trying too hard to sound like old Sabbath sometimes (Virtual death, psycophobia, etc) which for me is not a good thing.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                By the way Joe, are you sure that EVH didn't play on "Evil Eye"? The intro solo sounds like something only he could play. Altough the main solo sounds more Iommi-ish.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sources say no, he didn't. Either they're lying, or just don't know themselves. Until someone tells me otherwise with proof, I'll have to go with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X