X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cross purposes

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    By the way Joe, are you sure that EVH didn't play on "Evil Eye"? The intro solo sounds like something only he could play. Altough the main solo sounds more Iommi-ish.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sources say no, he didn't. Either they're lying, or just don't know themselves. Until someone tells me otherwise with proof, I'll have to go with that.

[/ QUOTE ]
    What's odd, is when I asked Tony Iommi about this on one of the first Q&A's at his website, he said:

"He [Eddie] was doing a gig nearby. He came round to my house where we were rehearsing and just jammed along. I don't think we were really thinking about legal things. We just recorded it."

So by Tony's words, it sounds like there is a version with EVH on it somewhere - it sure as hell doesn't sound like EVH on the album, to my ears. If it does exist, and Tony wasn't just suffering memory loss, then this version of Evil Eye would be right up there with the Tony Martin Dehumanizer Demos for most-wanted recordings, for me.

Comment

Another solid and shining effort from Sabbath. I I don't like some of the tracks, 'Virtual Death'-'Cardinal Sin'-'Back to Eden' but the rest is absolutely awesome. 'Cross of Thorns' is the highlight of the album for me and 'The Hand that rocks the Cradle' is a true masterpiece track. Plus the sound is the perfect mix between the power and the grace. Rondinelli is really a skin beater, he and Butler are one of the most solid and powerful drum-bass sections ever.
      I just can't have enough of the Martin's Sabbath!

Comment

Joe I picked up the song what,s the use.You was right.I really love it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the Use? and Cloak & Dagger (from Headless Cross) are two lost gems. Most people don't even know they exist, let alone heard them. Shame too, as they're great.
          Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
          View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the Use? and Cloak & Dagger (from Headless Cross) are two lost gems. Most people don't even know they exist, let alone heard them. Shame too, as they're great.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just happened to be listening to Cloak & Dagger just now. It's a shame this one is burried, such a good song. Same with What's the Use... here's hoping they show up officially in a Black Box, or something or other, but I guess I won't hold out hope.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

By the way Joe, are you sure that EVH didn't play on "Evil Eye"? The intro solo sounds like something only he could play. Altough the main solo sounds more Iommi-ish.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have always thought that too.Especially the flypicked lines near the end sound like Eddie,but the guitar sounds more like Tony's than anything he usually plays.

Comment

Another amazing Martin album. A very good follow up to Dehumanizer in the sense that it retains a heavy feel, but doesn't forget to add the melody. Hard rockers like Psychophobia and I Witness are brilliantly teamed with emotional master pieces like Cross of Thorns and Dying for Love. Dio's follow up, Strange Highways, on the other hand dwelled far too much on the hard sound and didnít deliver any music with emotion.

Comment

I've always loved this album. "Cross of Thorns" is one of my all time favorite Sabbath tunes. Iommi's solo in that song is also brilliant. I think what makes me love that album so much is the presence of Geezer. The bass lines are of course amazing but his contribution in the writing side is what really does it for me.

I have the Cross Purposes live video and although Martin claims his voice was under the weather he still sounds great. It should be noted that with Martin they did the entire version of "Symptom" and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" Something they either can't or refuse to do with Ozzy. I don't have any Martin era live bootlegs and I've been looking around on ebay. I'm a little disappointed in many of the setlists, I wish they would have played more stuff from the Martin era live.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I wish they would have played more stuff from the Martin era live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some bootlegs from the Tyr tour had some amazing setlists. For a slendid Martin Era bootles, check out Headless in Russia.

Comment

Doesn't "Evil Eye" sound like a slow Rage Against The Machine track? It's got a similar rhythm and slow guitar riff that can be heard throughout the song. It's not even melodic- you can put in the former RATM vocalist's voice and it would sound a lot like what they did!

Comment

I dont know where you get RATM there. It sounds a little like Alice in Chains tho.

Comment

IF you have heard the first album of RATM, as well as their version of "Ghost of Tom Joad", or "Revolver" from Evil Empire, you would notice a similar feel, particularly in the slow pace and the riff that stands out.

Comment

Great Album. Having Geezer on board really makes it good, plus it just sounds good.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Doesn't "Evil Eye" sound like a slow Rage Against The Machine track? It's got a similar rhythm and slow guitar riff that can be heard throughout the song. It's not even melodic- you can put in the former RATM vocalist's voice and it would sound a lot like what they did!

[/ QUOTE ]

It probably is about as close to RATM as Sabbath ever got, and I could imagine Zach de la Rocha rapping over it, now that I think about it.

Comment

>>Doesn't "Evil Eye" sound like a slow Rage Against The
                                >>Machine track?

Don't most of riffs from Rage Against The Machine sound like they were lifted from Black Sabbath?

Comment

Working...
                                X