Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Cross purposes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cross purposes

[ QUOTE ]
    possible [sic] you know dio he says rainbow to[sic] god damn much.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's used the word on TWO songs over the past 15 years.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      >>Doesn't "Evil Eye" sound like a slow Rage Against The
      >>Machine track?

Don't most of riffs from Rage Against The Machine sound like they were lifted from Black Sabbath?

[/ QUOTE ]

And the RATM guitarist admitted to being a Sabbath fan and influenced by Iommi ... go figure

Comment

Still listening to Cross purposes while typing this post....
        its a comlpete album with fantastic guitaring...and the vocals by Tony martin is excellent...
        But one Important element in this album is the sound of Keyboards where Geoff Nicholls has done it beautifully it has the element of dark gloomy stuff which inspires a lot of recent Black Metal bands to use such elements of keyboards...
        http://www.facebook.com/cosmicchants
        https://soundcloud.com/cosmicchants
        http://www.myspace.com/cosmicchants

Comment

recently got this cd and i think it rocks decent lyrics and production another gem from thr tony and tony version of sabbath.

Comment

Re: Cross Purposes Live DVD

[ QUOTE ]
            The thing I'll say about that DVD is this..
            Plus it *IS* on a DVD, and that alone is a better choice than a VHS tape.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so quick, Joe. You have no good source to compare to. I have the original VHS/CD double pack that I bought 11 years ago (the North American release). I agree with you, that Master From The Vaults DVD is a much better choice than the North American release of the double pack in terms of both sound and picture. The bootlegs you see on Ebay are also crappy quality North American VHS transfers.

I recently went ahead and bought the European PAL version of this release from Ebay. Comparing it to US/Canada release is night and day. The PAL VHS looks *almost* as good as the official DVD. And believe it or not the sound on the VHS is actually way better than that on Master From The Vaults DVD. It's not 5.1, it's just stereo, but it does sound better. I did record the whole thing to DVD and with some digital noise reductions and sharpening filters applied I achieved the quality which is actually a bit better than that on official Masters From The Vaults DVD. And no, I'm not advertising this DVD for sale or whatsoever. I don't sell bootlegs. But I'm pretty happy to have the full concert in a good quality. And I guess I can share this DVD sometime in the future if Black Sabbath doesn't mind. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

--Leonid

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              The thing I'll say about that DVD is this..
              Plus it *IS* on a DVD, and that alone is a better choice than a VHS tape.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so quick, Joe. You have no good source to compare to. I have the original VHS/CD double pack that I bought 11 years ago (the North American release). I agree with you, that Master From The Vaults DVD is a much better choice than the North American release of the double pack in terms of both sound and picture. The bootlegs you see on Ebay are also crappy quality North American VHS transfers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't talking about the transfer or the quality of the video. Just the physical fact that a DVD will have less detioriation issues like a VHS tape will.
              Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
              View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

I like all of the songs except Virtual Death and Cardinal Sin. I remember reading a review (it might have even been here) that someone thought the beginning of Cardinal Sin sounded like Led Zeppelin! Ha...no. Psychphobia, I Wittness, and Dying For Love are the best tracks on here I think.

Comment

yeah well the track which was the most difficult to "get used to" was virtual death... actually this is kinda strange because I've liked every sabbath tune from the very first moment I listen it (yeah, "even blow on a jug" and "FX"!)

Comment

Not only is 'Cross Purposes' the best Tony Martin-era Sabbath album, it is one of the best Sabbath albums period. Great line-up for the band --- great to have Geezer back and working with Tony Martin, Bobby Rondinelli on the drums kicks just as hard as Cozy Powell, Iommi's riffs sound dark and menacing again, and the whole lyrical concept about religious hypocrisy is direct and well thought-out, and fits the Sabbath tradition. Fantastic album and very underrated.

Comment

What’s The Use? is a dang good song, I have the Japanese edition and that song kicks ass!
                      "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                      "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                      ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

I have nothing bad to say about Cross Purposes. It's as Black Sabbathy Martin Era can be without slipping into cheese.

Comment

I love Cross Purposes. It’s like Sabbath N Chains.

Comment

I’ve always liked “Virtual Death”. The comparison to Alice In Chains gets thrown around a lot but I was playing it for a friend recently who doesn’t care for much post-Ozzy and he heard it as something more akin to “Who Are You?”. Too bad Martin toned his lyrics down after Headless Cross. With Just a tad more Satan, this album might creep up in my ranking of Sabbath’s albums. They had Geezer there. Should have been easy.

Comment

the biggest problem I have with the Martin era is the production..it's flat, nothing stands out and it over all sucks...
                              "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                              R. Blackmore

Comment

Working...
                              X