Cross purposes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross purposes

I thought it had the best guitar sound Out of all the Toni Martin albums.

Re: Cross purposes

Hell, I thought it was THE best of the Martin albums. The great rhythm section really gave the band a shot in the arm. Gets my vote as the best album for an introduction to the Martin era as it's got a modern sound, and it's a right deal more polished than Forbidden. In the long run, I ended up enjoyoing CP more than I did Dehumanizer.

Comment

I think it suffers from missing the hooks that the previous Martin albums did. It's a solid album but not very memorable IMO

Comment

I think the reason this album is my favorite of the Tony Martin era is because it has Geezer on it. If there was anything lacking for any of the other Martin albums, to me it is the absence of Geezer.

Comment

This album/tour were like an epiphany to me. As I stated somewhere else, I saw this tour when I was 17 ten years ago in Chicago and magical things happened during Rondinelli's drum solo. At the time, I didnt have the album nor have any real knowledge about Black Sabbath then, nor did I know who was doing the drum solo until the end of the show. But when you see naked teen women stripping and getting tossed out of the venue during Bobby's solo, it becomes a nucleus to something.

It seems like just yesterday I cringe thinking it was 10 years ago.

The album itself is great.

Comment

cool

Comment

The thing that pains me most about this album is that the best song is one most people haven't heard.

I specifically refer to "What's the Use?" - which is the Japanese extra track for that album.

Sweet mother of god - it licks the living shit out of anything else on the album for me. It is BY FAR the best lost chestnut in the band's history (although Cloak & Dagger is close).

If you can dig up a copy of the Japanese version, get it. Or wait for Black Box II, as I'd guess that would be on there, too.

I wrote Bobby Rondinelli once and asked him if there were any other tracks like that, and he said the recording sessions for Cross Purposes didn't have any leftovers. I also complimented him on WTU?, he said he didn't agree with the choice ot leave it off the album either.
              Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
              View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

It's by far my favorite album of the Tony Martin era. Actually, I've never been a huge fan of Tony Martin, but Iommi was just so "on" on this album, the vocals are extremely easy to forgive. Iommi riffs up a friggin' storm on this album.
                Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Comment

My favorite Sabbath since BORN AGAIN in 1983!!!!

Comment

Awesome album, heavy and dark.
                    And in the ending part of the 1994 tour, you have 3/4 of original sabbath on stage!

Comment

Great album. And the best moment for me - the live version of Immaculate Deception, Tony Martin sings this one magnificently. I've no idea why hasn't it been played during the whole tour...

Comment

Be sure to check out the Black Sabbath/Masters from the Vault DVD. I think Tony Martin must have had a cold when this was filmed because he has troubles hitting some of the notes, but other than that it's excellent concert footage of the Cross Purposes tour.

Comment

I think that was for two dates towards the end, not directly at the end. I could be wrong tho.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Be sure to check out the Black Sabbath/Masters from the Vault DVD. I think Tony Martin must have had a cold when this was filmed because he has troubles hitting some of the notes, but other than that it's excellent concert footage of the Cross Purposes tour.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is actually a waste of money. They cut out about 2/3 of the entire show and include the "Feels Good To Me" video at the end (even the first 10-15 seconds of the video was cut out). The video is cool but really had nothing to do with the Cross Purposes tour or band line-up at the time.

I went on ebay and bought the entire DVD version of the show for like 15 dollars. I recommend you do that or buy the VHS. Don't waste your money on that DVD at Best Buy it isnt complete.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              The thing that pains me most about this album is that the best song is one most people haven't heard.

I specifically refer to "What's the Use?" - which is the Japanese extra track for that album.

Sweet mother of god - it licks the living shit out of anything else on the album for me. It is BY FAR the best lost chestnut in the band's history (although Cloak & Dagger is close).

[/ QUOTE ]

The track is good like I said, I wouldnt say it is the best on the album. Cross of Thorns and Virtual Death are probably the best [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nelson.gif[/img]

Edit from Joe: I fixed the broken quote which was messing up the display of the msg.

Comment

Working...
                              X