Who was/were the lyric writer(s) AFTER ETERNAL IDOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was/were the lyric writer(s) AFTER ETERNAL IDOL

On Headless Cross, Tyr, Cross Purposes, and Forbidden.

Did Tony Martin write them all? Or was Iommi involved too?

Re: Who was/were the lyric writer(s) AFTER ETERNAL IDOL

I believe Tony Iommi helped make some, but if I'm not mistaken, the majority were all written (lyrics) by Tony Martin.
    How could this poison be the dream of my soul
    How did my fantasies take complete control, yeah

Comment

I am not certain about any of the albums except Headless Cross, which I believe was written exclusively (or almost exclusively) by Tony Martin, and I only say this because that's the impression I get from interviews I've seen with him.

I would imagine Geezer Butler had some hand in writing for Cross Purposes given his writing role in the 70s.

Comment

In Cross Purposes, yes. But Tony Martin's stuff with the Iommi-Solo Sabbath were mostly written by Martin.
        How could this poison be the dream of my soul
        How did my fantasies take complete control, yeah

Comment

I think Geoff Nichols and Bob Daisley were involved in the writing of the lyrics for this album but how much of it, I am not sure. I do know that the whole album was finished with Ray Gillen on vocals before Tony Martin came into the picture. The story is that Martin just re-recorded the vocals after Ray left.

Comment

Geoff Nicholls had a lot of input - he co wrote a lot on Seventh Star.

On Cross Purposes, Sabbath's old main lyric writer returned (Geezer), but I know Tony Martin did a bunch too.

As for the others (Tyr/Headless/Forbidden), I'm not sure entirely. Probably mostly Tony Martin I would expect.
            Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
            View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

Tony has written all the lyrics for his era in Sabbs (but EI of course). You can check it out here: www.tonymartin.net.
              "I don't sound like nobody"

Comment

When talking lyrics, Tony Iommi has generally denied all involvement but I believe he recieves credit on Seventh Star. After forever was a typo.

Comment

iommi admitted that he had help with a lot of seventh star songs even though he is solely credited. i think he denies ever writing lyrics.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    iommi admitted that he had help with a lot of seventh star songs even though he is solely credited. i think he denies ever writing lyrics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Source?
                    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
                    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

Cross Purposes insert says that Iommi/Butler/Martin wrote the lyrics.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Cross Purposes insert says that Iommi/Butler/Martin wrote the lyrics.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's not always a lot of correlation between what cd inserts say and the truth!
                        I think on CP it's easy to assume Martin and Butler since both are traditionally lyric writers, but in actual fact I think Martin would prefer to write solely and I'm sure he would claim he wrote the lot.

Comment

"Source? "

Interview I read a while ago...

come to think of it, it might have been one of the other band members that said that.

Comment

Inside sleeve of 7th Star (lp)

Music and Lyrics by Tony Iommi
                            Additional lyrics by Geoff Nichols, Jeff Glixman and Glenn Hughs

(actual spellings on the sleeve! They got both Hughes and Nicholls wrong)

- - -

I could be wrong but, I thought Geezer Butler helped with lyrics on Dehumanizer and Cross Purposes. Ronnie James Dio has said Butler came up with the title for Dehumanizer.

Comment

Yeah, in that interview I read I think that the question was addressing those credits. Anyway, I still cant even remember who it was that was being interviewed so its pointless for me to discuss it further.

Anyway, I am certain I read an interview with Dio where he says that he wrote all the Dehumanizer lyrics except Master of Insanity, which he admits Geezer wrote.

I just remember how odd I thought that was, cause Dehumanizer was more of an album I thought was up Geezer's alley as far as subject matter. It's also kind of a departure from Ronnie's traditional lyrics.

And don't bother asking for a source cause I sure as hell can't remember where I read this [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X