Was Martin abused by Sabbath?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Martin abused by Sabbath?

Was he taken advantage of? Not treated with full respect? I heard an interview with Martin in which he says that Iommi had not so much as given him a phone call in years after last splitting.

Sure he wasn't treated the best but look at what he can tell his grandchildren.

Comment

Tony Martin was like that friend from college with benefits...until friends with lower premiums came along.
      ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

Comment

As much as I admire Tony Iommi, it has to be said that he shafted Tony Martin at least four times.

1991 - After sticking with Iommi through three albums (Eternal Idol, Headless Cross, Tyr) that sold well everywhere but the U.S., Iommi breaks up my second-favourite post-Ozzy lineup (#1: Dio, Iommi, Butler, Ward/Appice) for the Dehumanizer debacle (although the album and tour were very good).

1991/92 - Not only that, but during the recording of Dehumanizer when he's having difficulty with RJD, he calls Martin up. Martin re-records the vocals on Dehumanizer...and cops the boot again.

1992 - Costa Mesa. Iommi calls Martin to replace Dio, but Wendy Dio and/or Sharon Osbourne stop it. Rob Halford does the gig.

1994 - Martin comes back (much to my stunned-but-pleasant surprise) for the worthy Cross Purposes album and tour, which I was fortunate enough to catch. He stays for Forbidden, which I happen to like!

Late 1990's - Martin again cops the boot for the greatest-hits jukebox Ozzy reunion.

Tony Martin has said he'll never work with Iommi/Sabbath again, and I don't blame him.

He was truly a band singer for Black Sabbath. Cozy Powell has said that he was "a joy to work with...not a prima donna like a lot of singers..."
        He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

No one can really say for sure if Martin was treated with respect or not because most of us never saw anything behind the scenes and how him and Iommi interacted with each other. Martin was good singer who was plucked out of obscurity, to which he would later return, to be the singer of Black Sabbath. He was their second longest running singer in their history so there must have been respect there in some way.

As far as firing him after TYR and then after Forbidden it was the right call. Not only musically(Dehumanizer) but financially (Ozzy reunion) as well. Sabbath albums weren't selling with Martin and they didn't even tour the US at all for TEI and TYR. The US tour for HC was cancelled after a few dates. More than likely because of low ticket sales. I think they even had to cancel dates in England when they tour for TEI. They weren't even selling in their home country so they were deffinitly down in the dumps. So you can't balme them for getting rid of him to reunite with there two most successful singers in Dio and then Ozzy.

To give you an idea of how bad their situation was with Martin as the singer, when I saw them in 1995 they played in a circus tent. That's right a fuckin circus tent. There was this park up in St. Chatherines, Ontario, Canada that used to have a circus tent set up and sometimes would have shows there. Black Sabbath played in that. That's a far cry from the 3-4 thousand seat theaters they were playing with Dio just a few years before and the arenas and amphitheaters they would fill when the reunited with Ozzy a couple years later.

Martin was hired to do a job. A job which he did very well but as with anyone who gets hired to do something there is always the chance you'll get fired if someone else comes along who does the job better. That's just what happened with Martin on two seperate ocassions. I don't think he was abused nor did he do anything wrong, he was just a victum of the chaos that is known as the Black Sabbath lineup.
          Last edited by Sabbathfan78; 09-03-2010, 08:25 PM.
          Nobody will ever let you know
          When you ask the reason why
          They just tell you that you're on your own
          Fill your head all full of lies

Comment

Priobably. But if you act like a doormat, people will wipe their feet on you.

Comment

Wow, that's a sad sorry story I guess it speak a lot about the nature of the music business and the inherent pressures......

Originally posted by DiosSword View Post

1992 - Costa Mesa. Iommi calls Martin to replace Dio, but Wendy Dio and/or Sharon Osbourne stop it. Rob Halford does the gig.

What about THIS one?? What do you mean?

Comment

Nobody stopped Martin from going... he just couldn't secure a Visa IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by The Butt View Post
                  Nobody stopped Martin from going... he just couldn't secure a Visa IIRC.
                  that's a tough one to swallow - how does a major figure in the entertainment industry fail to get a visa for a few days??

Comment

Anyone else finds it interesting that Tony Martin was managed by Albert Chapman at the time? Albert Chapman had worked for Sabbath for years and was an old school friend of Iommi's. Seems like a bit of a conflict of interest to me
                    http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

Regarding the Costa Mesa gig, there's the "not getting the VISA in time" thing, but I don't think it's the whole thing. According to Neil Murray who was touring with Tony Martin in Europe at the time (and I tend to agree with him on this), as soon as the band knew that Halford would do it, no more efforts were made to help Tony get his VISA in time. As bad as it sounds, when Sabbath had the choice between getting Tony Martin back for these two shows or getting the much more famous Rob Halford, they chose Halford.

Was Tony used and abused during his Sabbath days ? Did he get much less respect than what he deserved ? HELL YES !
                      Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies donít use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of ďDehumanizerĒ.
                      "Black Sabbath : la BÍte venue de Birmingham"

Comment

hmmmmmm.....

Comment

Used? No, it's strictly buisness, and Martin made a decent living I'm sure with BS. Neither owes the other anything IMO.
                          "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                          R. Blackmore

Comment

so all the while it was "just a job" for him? (does the music reflect this?)

...anyway, he knew what kind of situation he was getting into, and it was his choice to continue in it. Perhaps Ray foresaw this type of thing and prefered to do his own thing with from the beginning?

Comment

i don't think so...
                              nobody knew martin before he gets to Black Sabbath...
                              its not that he was taken advantage of... he was a good singer... but he was nothing before Sabbath...
                              Sabbath used his voice to continue... he used Sabbath to get more famous...
                              even on his solo concerts he sing most of sabbath era songs...

Comment

Working...
                              X