No announcement yet.

Was Martin abused by Sabbath?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iommi was the lucky one , seriously .... HC is as good as Sabotage and Dehumanzer , and one of the 3 most impeccable vocal albums on planet earth ,, TYR is absolutely brilliant ,,, EI is one of the 9 greatest pieces of art in this fine universe ,,,, Forbidden is Martin's raw moment in Sabbath - and it's as good as it gets ,,, CP is utterly fantastic ....... ya , thus far , Martin is responsible for 50 of the most special tracks ever recorded - ya , no doubt , Iommi was the lucky one ......

"Kill In The Spirit World" , best Sabbath track of all time .... God Bless Sabbath maniacs!

Comment

Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
      Iommi was the lucky one , seriously .... HC is as good as Sabotage and Dehumanzer , and one of the 3 most impeccable vocal albums on planet earth ,, TYR is absolutely brilliant ,,, EI is one of the 9 greatest pieces of art in this fine universe ,,,, Forbidden is Martin's raw moment in Sabbath - and it's as good as it gets ,,, CP is utterly fantastic ....... ya , thus far , Martin is responsible for 50 of the most special tracks ever recorded - ya , no doubt , Iommi was the lucky one ......

"Kill In The Spirit World" , best Sabbath track of all time .... God Bless Sabbath maniacs!
      Amen Doc. Great post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post

Amen Doc \m/ perfectly said!

Comment

Oh yes, Tony Martin the world's greatest vocalist.

Move over Plant, move over Freddie...here comes the Cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
            Oh yes, Tony Martin the world's greatest vocalist.

Move over Plant, move over Freddie...here comes the Cat.
            There you go brother Wheels , finally stating some facts on Tony "the muther friggin" Cat!!

Comment

Martin is lucky to have had the oppertunities he did, considering he had no star power, no stage presence, no prestige, wasn't good looking and had the blandest of generic 80s deodorant commercial voices.

Of course Iommi dropped him like a hot turd.
              Wheels, the Cat was the most loyal and dependable Sabbath singer of all and with no ego like the others.

Humility counts a lot.
              "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
              "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
              ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Music business, is a business most of all as its name says. So, because Tony Martin, didn't brought enough profit in the band, he got the boot. Ok, he wasn't got treated well but, you cant be kind on similar occasions. If your business is having problems, you have to solve them.

First of all, Tony Martin, wasn't able to pull up on the whole tour some of his vocal duties on 100%. He blamed his poor stamima for this but, judging from the live stuff i have heard from that era, he never had a great stamina! He had poor stamina, he had a flu and it is really bad that, you can't perform your own work because of this. I'm really dissapointed that on EVERY live performance of the song Headless Cross, i NEVER heard Tony Martin pulling out his high note on the chorus in the same or in a similar way to the original version. If i have to hear prerecorded or backing vocals doing the job, i prefer to hear the original version in order to satisfy myself.

If i was a fan back then, i would be definetely dissapointed if i went to a Black Sabbath concert to hear some of my favorite songs like Anno Mundi and Headless Cross to be a pain in the a*s to handle on live.

Okay, i agree that the way Martin got the boot, wasn't the most kind but, it was expected to happen....

Comment

Originally posted by tsimisde View Post
                  Music business, is a business most of all as its name says. So, because Tony Martin, didn't brought enough profit in the band, he got the boot. Ok, he wasn't got treated well but, you cant be kind on similar occasions. If your business is having problems, you have to solve them.

First of all, Tony Martin, wasn't able to pull up on the whole tour some of his vocal duties on 100%. He blamed his poor stamima for this but, judging from the live stuff i have heard from that era, he never had a great stamina! He had poor stamina, he had a flu and it is really bad that, you can't perform your own work because of this. I'm really dissapointed that on EVERY live performance of the song Headless Cross, i NEVER heard Tony Martin pulling out his high note on the chorus in the same or in a similar way to the original version. If i have to hear prerecorded or backing vocals doing the job, i prefer to hear the original version in order to satisfy myself.

If i was a fan back then, i would be definetely dissapointed if i went to a Black Sabbath concert to hear some of my favorite songs like Anno Mundi and Headless Cross to be a pain in the a*s to handle on live.

Okay, i agree that the way Martin got the boot, wasn't the most kind but, it was expected to happen....
                  You make a lot of valid points T, I’m simply stating that Martin was used over and over again, if Martin didn’t deliver the goods, then Tony should’ve hired someone with more star power if you will.

Then again Tony dropped Dio, for Ozzy who had even more star power.

So yes its all business, and like I said earlier in my post I don’t criticize Tony for doing it, because after all business is business and when in business the purpose of the business is to make money.
                  Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 04-07-2019, 08:28 AM. Reason: Typo
                  "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                  "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

I don't think "abused" is the right word. Did Iommi take Martin for granted? Yes. However, it could be argued that Martin meekly returned after Ronnie left for the second time. Is that not a glutton for punishment?

Slightly off topic, you could also argue that the Dehumanizer album and tour didn't meet commercial expectations either. It was the right band and product at the wrong time.

Still, it was a credible reunion because a new album and tour materialized. Unlike today, where most reunions are tour first, album... maybe. Wrongly I might add. But I digress.

Ultimately, I think Iommi was kidding himself during the Martin years. Sure, he carried on the best he could, and that lineup had some decent moments. He's even admitted over the years that the band's credibility took a big hit. That can't be easy to accept.

All told though, I would be LYING profusely if I said I would trade the Dehumanizer tour as my first Black Sabbath concert for ANY of the Martin tours as a "first". NO contest whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by A Sabbath Historian View Post
                      All told though, I would be LYING profusely if I said I would trade the Dehumanizer tour as my first Black Sabbath concert for ANY of the Martin tours as a "first". NO contest whatsoever.
                      Unfortunately I never got to see Dio/Sabbath or Martin Sabbath, only original Sabbath, several times.

I regret that now, as I always loved the Dio era, the Martin era is a different story as I only got into that, the last few years, If a Martin reunion were to happen now, I'd definitely buy tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                        Unfortunately I never got to see Dio/Sabbath or Martin Sabbath, only original Sabbath, several times.

I regret that now, as I always loved the Dio era, the Martin era is a different story as I only got into that, the last few years, If a Martin reunion were to happen now, I'd definitely buy tickets.
                        Yeah but you'd buy tickets to a Kelly Osbourne book reading out of loyalty to the Black Sabbath!

Each to his own, but it's agreed by all but the nutters that the Tony Martin eras were lowpoints for Black Sabbath...the name was "literally in the toilet" to quote Sharon, and she wasnt wrong.

Comment

Yeah but you'd buy tickets to a Kelly Osbourne book reading out of loyalty to the Black Sabbath!

Each to his own, but it's agreed by all but the nutters that the Tony Martin eras were lowpoints for Black Sabbath...the name was "literally in the toilet" to quote Sharon, and she wasnt wrong.
                          Yes I am a Kelly fan and a Martin/Sabbath fan, and damn proud of it! I’d be the first in line to buy tickets for both.

Comment

Low point my ass .... only for the hard of hearing , lack of insight between the ears , or the lost and confused ,,,,, the 50 Martin Era tracks are the very definition of a "musical" innovative high point for the Sab's ,,, thankyou JESUS for that AMAZING "timeless" period of time!

As you walk alone the night surrounds you like a shroud
                            The dreams you had were once of love and being proud
                            Misty horizons block your vision of the world
                            But the raven's eyes will show you all you need to know

The land you loved is now so barren and so cold
                            The name of God rings out so high in your soul
                            This time the masters will lead us by the sword
                            And should we fail then all prevails in Odin's court

Comment

Each to his own, but it's agreed by all but the nutters that the Tony Martin eras were lowpoints for Black Sabbath...
                              Well, that's just not true. The Martin-era has got some fantastic stuff and it's only close minded "No Sabbath without Ozzy"-people who would say otherwise.
                              http://struggle021hc.bandcamp.com
                              http://www.facebook.com/struggle021hc
                              http://pike.bandcamp.com
                              http://www.facebook.com/PikeSweden
                              http://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRecords

Comment

Originally posted by Ala View Post
                                Well, that's just not true. The Martin-era has got some fantastic stuff and it's only close minded "No Sabbath without Ozzy"-people who would say otherwise.
                                It is true.

The Martin era albums and tours were flops and poorly attended.

Comment

Working...
                                X