Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IommiRules
    replied
    No more so than the other 25 or 30 people who have played with Tony since 7th Star. He proved his worth and was "rewarded" with being able to stay for 5 albums. In the end, Tony owns the group and he makes changes as he sees fit.

Leave a comment:

• J Hillenburg
    replied
    There is no question at all in my mind that Martin was disrespected by Iommi and his management. Despite the debate that exists about the merits of that era, there is no disputing the fact that the addition of Martin gave the band much needed stability in the vocal department. He worked tirelessly promoting the band. Unfortunately, one could argue that Iommi saw Martin as a "stop gap"; as long as marquee singers like Ozzy and Dio had no interest in fronting the band, Iommi would work with what he had. The addition of Cozy Powell and Tony Martin gave the band a new lease on life, a fact that remains sadly unappreciated to this day.

Leave a comment:

• EDTRADER
    replied
    Im sure that Martin new in his brain that if the oppertunity came for a reunion with Oz or Dio that Iommi couldnt have passed it up.

Leave a comment:

• hipster doofus
    replied
    Originally posted by unplugged-unfretted View Post
    how does a major figure in the entertainment industry fail to get a visa for a few days??
    Originally posted by J Hillenburg View Post
    Major figure in the entertainment industry? I like Martin, but are you kidding?
    I second J on that one. Secondly, visa issues aren't all that uncommon.

Leave a comment:

• J Hillenburg
    replied
    Originally posted by unplugged-unfretted View Post
    that's a tough one to swallow - how does a major figure in the entertainment industry fail to get a visa for a few days??
    Major figure in the entertainment industry? I like Martin, but are you kidding?

Leave a comment:

• Pope On Rope
    replied
    Originally posted by DiosSword View Post
    As much as I admire Tony Iommi, it has to be said that he shafted Tony Martin at least four times.

1992 - Costa Mesa. Iommi calls Martin to replace Dio, but Wendy Dio and/or Sharon Osbourne stop it. Rob Halford does the gig.
    And so how is that Tony's fault? Methinks you ought to strike that from your list.

Leave a comment:

• Sahand
    replied
    i don't think so...
    nobody knew martin before he gets to Black Sabbath...
    its not that he was taken advantage of... he was a good singer... but he was nothing before Sabbath...
    Sabbath used his voice to continue... he used Sabbath to get more famous...
    even on his solo concerts he sing most of sabbath era songs...

Leave a comment:

• unplugged-unfretted
    replied
    so all the while it was "just a job" for him? (does the music reflect this?)

...anyway, he knew what kind of situation he was getting into, and it was his choice to continue in it. Perhaps Ray foresaw this type of thing and prefered to do his own thing with from the beginning?

Leave a comment:

• Wicked Cricket
    replied
    Used? No, it's strictly buisness, and Martin made a decent living I'm sure with BS. Neither owes the other anything IMO.

Leave a comment:

• unplugged-unfretted
    replied
    hmmmmmm.....

Leave a comment:

• Gardener
    replied
    Regarding the Costa Mesa gig, there's the "not getting the VISA in time" thing, but I don't think it's the whole thing. According to Neil Murray who was touring with Tony Martin in Europe at the time (and I tend to agree with him on this), as soon as the band knew that Halford would do it, no more efforts were made to help Tony get his VISA in time. As bad as it sounds, when Sabbath had the choice between getting Tony Martin back for these two shows or getting the much more famous Rob Halford, they chose Halford.

Was Tony used and abused during his Sabbath days ? Did he get much less respect than what he deserved ? HELL YES !

Leave a comment:

• Sir Kenneth
    replied
    Anyone else finds it interesting that Tony Martin was managed by Albert Chapman at the time? Albert Chapman had worked for Sabbath for years and was an old school friend of Iommi's. Seems like a bit of a conflict of interest to me

Leave a comment:

• unplugged-unfretted
    replied
    Originally posted by The Butt View Post
    Nobody stopped Martin from going... he just couldn't secure a Visa IIRC.
    that's a tough one to swallow - how does a major figure in the entertainment industry fail to get a visa for a few days??

Leave a comment:

• The Butt
    replied
    Nobody stopped Martin from going... he just couldn't secure a Visa IIRC.

Leave a comment:

• unplugged-unfretted
    replied
    Wow, that's a sad sorry story I guess it speak a lot about the nature of the music business and the inherent pressures......

Originally posted by DiosSword View Post

1992 - Costa Mesa. Iommi calls Martin to replace Dio, but Wendy Dio and/or Sharon Osbourne stop it. Rob Halford does the gig.

What about THIS one?? What do you mean?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X