Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Was Martin abused by Sabbath?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
    It is true.

    The Martin era albums and tours were flops and poorly attended.
    Oh, okay, I misunderstood you. A lowpoint commercially, yes. But not creatively or musically.
    http://struggle021hc.bandcamp.com
    http://www.facebook.com/struggle021hc
    http://pike.bandcamp.com
    http://www.facebook.com/PikeSweden
    http://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRecords

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by Ala View Post
      Oh, okay, I misunderstood you. A lowpoint commercially, yes. But not creatively or musically.

      No, I'm no t an Ozzy only guy either.
      I think Cross Purposes spanks the pants off of 13 for example.

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
        No, I'm no t an Ozzy only guy either.
        I think Cross Purposes spanks the pants off of 13 for example.
        At least, Cross Purposes was much more original than 13. Great songs on 13 but, the stuff was recycled from the glorious days and, i'm not so interested on this album. Cross Purposes, smashed the boundaries and, modernized the Sabbath style and sound and i liked it because of this. Some really great stuff on this album and at this very moment, Cross Of Thorns comes to mind....

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by tsimisde View Post
          At least, Cross Purposes was much more original than 13. Great songs on 13 but, the stuff was recycled from the glorious days and, i'm not so interested on this album. Cross Purposes, smashed the boundaries and, modernized the Sabbath style and sound and i liked it because of this. Some really great stuff on this album and at this very moment, Cross Of Thorns comes to mind....
          13 wasn't a classic Sabbath album and some of the guitars sound thin. In a few years, I can see Iommi remixing this album as well and maybe using a different set of songs to those that ended up on the album.

          I agree that a couple of the songs appeared to re-cycled, Zeitgeist, End of the Beginning etc, but a great album could still be picked out of the remaining songs.

          As for Tony Martin, well, it's my least favourite era of the band, but he did a job, unfortunately the band couldn't get arrested and in the music business, that's the kiss of death for every band.

          I saw them a few times on the Forbidden tour in the UK and the ticket sales were poor, even for the small venues the bands played. I remember speaking to fans who were already calling it the Forgotten tour.

          Something had to change.

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by Sabbath68 View Post
            13 wasn't a classic Sabbath album and some of the guitars sound thin. In a few years, I can see Iommi remixing this album as well and maybe using a different set of songs to those that ended up on the album.

            I agree that a couple of the songs appeared to re-cycled, Zeitgeist, End of the Beginning etc, but a great album could still be picked out of the remaining songs.

            As for Tony Martin, well, it's my least favourite era of the band, but he did a job, unfortunately the band couldn't get arrested and in the music business, that's the kiss of death for every band.

            I saw them a few times on the Forbidden tour in the UK and the ticket sales were poor, even for the small venues the bands played. I remember speaking to fans who were already calling it the Forgotten tour.

            Something had to change.
            Something might have had to change, sure. But they could have done the right thing by Martin and not kept him in suspense for something like two to three years (from memory, he wasn't formally told that 'his services were no longer needed' until 1998 or 1999).

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by Sabbath68 View Post
              13 wasn't a classic Sabbath album and some of the guitars sound thin. In a few years, I can see Iommi remixing this album as well and maybe using a different set of songs to those that ended up on the album.

              I agree that a couple of the songs appeared to re-cycled, Zeitgeist, End of the Beginning etc, but a great album could still be picked out of the remaining songs.

              As for Tony Martin, well, it's my least favourite era of the band, but he did a job, unfortunately the band couldn't get arrested and in the music business, that's the kiss of death for every band.

              I saw them a few times on the Forbidden tour in the UK and the ticket sales were poor, even for the small venues the bands played. I remember speaking to fans who were already calling it the Forgotten tour.

              Something had to change.
              If 13 ever gets the expanded edition treatment, I hope they add the Bill Ward sessions onto it.

              I would love to see Martin/Sabbath live on stage, it'd be nice when the Forbidden album gets remixed, they'd do some shows, I'd pay to go see them, but I'd prefer they just play the Martin era songs.

              Originally posted by SweetSymptom View Post
              Something might have had to change, sure. But they could have done the right thing by Martin and not kept him in suspense for something like two to three years (from memory, he wasn't formally told that 'his services were no longer needed' until 1998 or 1999).
              Agreed, they should've shown the man a bit more respect than they did, which was really none the way Tony did Martin.
              "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
              "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
              ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

              Comment

              Working...
              X