No announcement yet.

Seventh Star/Eternal Idol 2CD remasters on the way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol, I stand by my point but in all fairness, I was semi-joking too tbh.

But yeah, moving on.

Comment

My remarks are up:

http://www.black-sabbath.com/news/20...e_reviews.html
      Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
      View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

I'm glad I've pre-ordered both CDs. If I get half of that you mentioned, Joe, then it must be my best Sabbath purchase ever.
        Can't you see what I see
        You and I victims of Their word
        As the master of power
        Try to poison our world
        ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Comment

I decided to move the remarks about the "errors" out of the reviews, but I didn't want to delete the text totally, so I'm posting it here.

There are a couple of small errors on the Eternal Idol package I wanted to talk about briefly.

1. Incorrect Era Picture: When you first open the package, you get two pictures of Tony Martin. The one on the right is a video lift from the music video for "The Shining" (as are most of the pictures in this package are). However, the one on the left struck me as odd. Mostly because of the guy playing bass in the lower left hand corner. It looked a lot like Neil Murray, who did not play bass for anything until 1989, so I sent Neil a copy of the pic, and he said it looked like a shot from the Headless Cross tour. I then queried the record people about it, and the response was "Oops, slipped through the cracks".
          2. Incorrect Lyrics for "The Shining": Going all the way back to 1987 when it was first released on CD, the liner notes contained lyrics. However, for "The Shining", they are missing half the lyrics. They start with the line "Bells will Take their Toll", which doesn't actually occur until 3:11 of the song (of a 6:00 minute song). The 1996 Castle version has this same problem, and the 2010 Universal version does, too. I raised it to them when I got a PDF showing the booklet a month ago. I was told they didn't know it was incorrect, and it would possibly be looked into if there's a reprint, but I doubt that will get corrected. So half the Shining lyrics are still missing 23 years later.

I would also like to point out that these two errors are VERY minor, and only a hardcore nitwit such as myself would probably notice, much less CARE. I only point it out because the last time I didn't point out any errors in a package (Black Box had two errors of a similar vein), I got called out for not doing a thorough review. So there you are.

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

Just read your review for the Ray Gillen version of Eternal Idol, A little disappointed that it's not an all out "finished" version that I was hoping for, but I am glad Tony is releasing it all. Awesome review Joe! Looking forward to getting my ears on these. Cheers!!
            Last edited by Axe fiend; 10-27-2010, 11:27 AM.
            We donít see things as they are; we see them as we are.

Comment

Thanks a bunch for the article Joe...it was a great read! I'll be getting the Eternal Idol one that's for sure...might get the Seventh Star too just for the heck of it...not sure though...

Comment

Ray Gillen!

Great review. Anxiously awaiting these releases, although I'm guessing they won't arrive on my doorstep from Amazon UK until sometime in the middle of November.

Honestly, I'm approaching these more from the standpoint of a Ray Gillen fan. My introduction to his voice came on the first Badlands release, and I was absolutely blown away. His place in Sabbath's history wasn't something I knew about until much later -- and I was never really a fan of Glenn Hughes or Tony Martin, so I have never owned either of these albums on disc. (I do, however, have a vinyl copy of Seventh Star I picked up used a few months ago for the tidy sum of fifty cents. And, after finding a used CD of Cross Purposes a year ago, it's now one of my favorite Sabbath albums.)

Anyway, I can't wait to burn a "Best of Ray Gillen" Sabbath disc ("The Gillen Months"?) when I get my hands on these!

Bring on "Born Again"!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Siegler View Post
                  I decided to move the remarks about the "errors" out of the reviews, but I didn't want to delete the text totally, so I'm posting it here.
                  Why? I think they are valid. I do not feel in anyway you were ripping on anyone. Doing a re-release of this magnitude takes a lot of work, and unfoutunately, people are human and mistakes happen. Fortunatley for us, we have you to give us the full scoop.
                  "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
                    Thanks a bunch for the article Joe...it was a great read! I'll be getting the Eternal Idol one that's for sure...might get the Seventh Star too just for the heck of it...not sure though...
                    You don't have these yet?!?

Eternal Idol has 4 of some of the most astounding Sabbath tracks, the atmospheric The Shining, the aggressive Ancient Warrior, the roaring Glory Ride, the dark "very Sabbath" masterpiece Eternal Idol...be sure to get this album! It's a forgotten gem and definitely one of the coolest albums Sabbath ever made.

Seventh Star...it's a very cool album, the video song No Stranger To Love is a nice touch from Iommi, the epic Sphinx (The Guardian) & Seventh Star will take you to the land of magic & mystery...Heart Like A Wheel...In Memory...my God what great songs! Please get this album, alright? You'll find it much more exciting than "just for the heck of it" and it will grow on you irresistibly, I'll promise!

"He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabbathman View Post
                      You don't have these yet?!?

Eternal Idol has 4 of some of the most astounding Sabbath tracks, the atmospheric The Shining, the aggressive Ancient Warrior, the roaring Glory Ride, the dark "very Sabbath" masterpiece Eternal Idol...be sure to get this album! It's a forgotten gem and definitely one of the coolest albums Sabbath ever made.

Seventh Star...it's a very cool album, the video song No Stranger To Love is a nice touch from Iommi, the epic Sphinx (The Guardian) & Seventh Star will take you to the land of magic & mystery...Heart Like A Wheel...In Memory...my God what great songs! Please get this album, alright? You'll find it much more exciting than "just for the heck of it" and it will grow on you irresistibly, I'll promise!

No no no buddy...Ofcourse I already have them. I have the Castle remaster of Seventh Star and the original Warner print of Eternal Idol.

What I meant was I'll get the deluxe edition of ET as well! I don't really like Seventh Star all that much, although Heart Like A Wheel is a good one! And Seventh Star is nice one too...but I do have to say, I hate No Stranger To Love...bad try to make an 80s sounding pop metal song...did not work.

Eternal Idol on the otherhand I really like, that's why I'm more than willing to get the Deluxe edition as well!

Comment

• Originally posted by Charger View Post
                        No no no buddy...Ofcourse I already have them. I have the Castle remaster of Seventh Star and the original Warner print of Eternal Idol.

What I meant was I'll get the deluxe edition of ET as well! I don't really like Seventh Star all that much, although Heart Like A Wheel is a good one! And Seventh Star is nice one too...but I do have to say, I hate No Stranger To Love...bad try to make an 80s sounding pop metal song...did not work.

Eternal Idol on the otherhand I really like, that's why I'm more than willing to get the Deluxe edition as well!
                        Phew! OK, good. I was hasty enough to think you didn't have them.

I too have the Castle remasters and I'm satisfied on them as they are, but since these new versions are coupled with the coveted & previously unreleased material and that it's been decided to release them after all these years, I will definitely give my support for Tony and of course the pleasure of having these new rarity-loaded versions in my collections is all mine.
                        Last edited by Sabbathman; 10-28-2010, 08:10 AM.
                        "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

• I just looked them up on amazon uk and you can get them both* out the door * for $32 dollars total. That includes shipping. Thats a great deal and I am ordering mine monday.
                          Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Comment

• I ordered them but they are not in stock. Lord knows how fukkin long I will have to wait.
                            Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Comment

• Got advance copies of Eternal Idol and Seventh Star today. Immediately listened to all four disks on a long round-trip drive in my car, GREAT stuff there. After hearing bootlegs for years, its nice to hear Gillen's voice given a good mastering, the guy had pipes. Haven't gone through the booklets yet, but looking forward to reading them thoroughly. Those two albums covered my last year of high school into my Sophomore year of college and the original vinyls got a lot of spins, brings back the hard partying memories, for sure.
                              Damian
                              Super Moderator
                              Black-Sabbath.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Never Satisfied View Post
                                I ordered them but they are not in stock. Lord knows how fukkin long I will have to wait.
                                I can't imagine too long. If i had to guess, they had an extra push through all the attention I've been sending their way (as well as other coverage they've gotten). I'm going to guess that they didn't order a ton of them, and they were all sold, gotta get more.

Comment

Working...
                                X