Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does everyone think of the Cross Purposes album?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love that album, really well-arranged tunes there

Comment

I remember when a friend of mine told me in very early '94 that Black Sabbath were touring and that they were playing nearby (Kalamazoo, Michigan). I said "what the hell?" I thought that after Costa Mesa, Sabbath was finally dead...they weren't getting back with Ozzy (as many thought), Rob Halford was just guesting to help his old mates out (and did a hell of a job; I remember hearing rumours in '96 that he and Tony Iommi were writing together...if that's true I hope someday those tracks are released!) and Ronnie James Dio was definitely gone. Then my friend said, "You didn't hear they got Tony Martin back?" I have to say I was shocked. Even though I liked the Dehumanizer album and got to see the tour, I was pissed off at the way Tony Martin had been treated. The Iommi/Martin/Powell/Murray/Nicholls held its own with any lineup of Black Sabbath as far as I was concerned.

I thought at the time, "Tony Martin must have the patience of Job; it's a wonder he didn't just tell Tony Iommi to go fuck himself." After all, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Of course the album was well worth it, and I got to see that tour, with the added bonus of Motorhead on the bill!

Whenever I listen to the album, it really gets me how different Tony's guitar is on "Dying For Love." Not bad, just different. It sounds almost like he's playing a Fender Stratocaster instead of his classic thicker-than-concrete SG sound...the clean bits on it actually remind me of Alex Lifeson!

I've told this story before, but it just is so illogical to me...my friend (not the same one mentioned earlier) who ran a record shop at the time (he and I went to the gig) was spinning CP a lot in-store. One guy bought it, only to bring it back the next day, because he thought it sucked since Ozzy wasn't on it. Umm...isn't that "here's your stupid sign" territory? The album was being played in-store and if Ozzy had been on it I'm sure there would have been a hell of a lot more publicity! My friend didn't give him his money back.
      He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

The Iommi/Martin/Powell/Murray/Nicholls held its own with any lineup of Black Sabbath as far as I was concerned.
        Of course, as long as there's Tony in it, any Sabbath line-up is a COOL line-up!!

Comment

For me, Cross Purposes is the heaviest album with Tony Martin, great lyrics, but with less vocal power (he can't scream like he did in previous records).

Comment

Originally posted by sidmaximus View Post
            For me, Cross Purposes is the heaviest album with Tony Martin, great lyrics, but with less vocal power (he can't scream like he did in previous records).
            I don't know if it's because he can't it's more likely because he chose not to...It's clear that they wanted to make a heavier album with heavier vocals...much in the vain of Dehumanizer where Ronnie also used a lot of his deeper voice.

Comment

I always get a feeling that Martin's voice started to deteriorate as early as pre-Cross Purposes.

Comment

I always get a feeling that Martin's voice started to deteriorate as early as pre-Cross Purposes.
                I agree with that to an extent. His voice was already a little raspier and he didn't go as high as on Tyr. He still sounds great on CP, IMO. It's a great album.
                https://soundcloud.com/deadloss-2

Comment

Yeah, Iommi's awesome riffs filled that void.

Comment

I just got a live audio bootleg of their show at San Jose State University (March 3, 1994).

Tony Martin sounds great here, the resonance and the grit of his voice here can be compared to his 89's and 90's performances except that he didn't hit higher notes.

I love his performance of Time Machine, Children of the Sea, I Witness, Neon Knights, Immaculate Deception, and Cross of Thorns here.

His performance in Cross Purposes Live is nothing compared to his performance here. Even with Symptom of the Universe, his voice is much stable there.

Now I'm getting my hopes up that there's much more great performances in their 1994 tour.
                    Last edited by sidmaximus; 01-14-2014, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I just got a live audio bootleg of their show at San Jose State University (March 3, 1994).

Tony Martin sounds great here, the resonance and the grit of his voice here can be compared to his 89's and 90's performances except that he didn't hit higher notes.

I love his performance of Time Machine, Children of the Sea, I Witness, Neon Knights, Immaculate Deception, and Cross of Thorns here.

His performance in Cross Purposes Live is nothing compared to his performance here. Even with Symptom of the Universe, his voice is much stable there.

Now I'm getting my hopes up that there's much more great performances in their 1994 tour.
                      Well Tony was really really sick during the Hammersmith show and you can hear it in his voice. But he still carried on like a trooper and managed to pull of a heck of a preformance.

But yeah there are better ones from that tour for sure. The Tokyo one is great too!

Comment

CP is my second TM and BS album ever (first BS album in general was SBS), I got it from my then-whife when it was new. In my opinion it's best TM album with Sabbs, and best TM album, too.
                        "I don't sound like nobody"

Comment

It's my favourite Martin era album too.

I was given a copy when it came out cause a friend of mine bought it thinking it had Ozzy on it-she wasn't keen on it at all and offloaded it to me!

Comment

I have an original silver factory pressed 2CD bootleg called Los Angels 1994, cost me $90 back in the day when I bought it.
                            The actual audience audio isn't the best but TM performance is pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                            X