Eternal Idol VS Eternal Idol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eternal Idol VS Eternal Idol

What version do you like more? Rays version or Tonys version?

I actually prefer Ray Gillens Eternal Idol. But i think if Ray had recorded Headless Cross it just wouldn't have worked....

Tied. TM's has nostalgia factor while Ray's floors me and kicks my ass. I'm just glad I finally have both. There should be a poll added to this.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

Originally posted by 8bit Fighter View Post
      Tied. TM's has nostalgia factor while Ray's floors me and kicks my ass. I'm just glad I finally have both. There should be a poll added to this.
      Well i was gonna do a poll but thought no for a change, cos i do a lot of polls.......

Comment

I can only go off an early demo version of Ray's Eternal Idol until I get the deluxe package but I will divide it this way by track (not including Scarlet Pimpernel, as it was added after Ray left).

The Shining - Ray's version kills - I like Tony's version, don't get me wrong, but this is a true example of what Ray can do vocally - makes you wonder what might have been if he'd chosen to stay with the band.

Ancient Warrior - Tony's version is preferred here.

Hard Life to Love - Ray's version

Glory Ride - Tony's version - I think Martin has some of his best vocals here

Born to Lose - Ray's and Tony's both equally

Nightmare - Tony's version - probably because Martin's vocals are a bit bluesier than Ray's.

Lost Forever - Tony's version

Eternal Idol - I'd probably slightly give the edge to Ray on this one - seems to suit his vocals a little better than Tony, but possibly may have led to being an influence on his vocal performance on Headless Cross.

So with that considered...

3 songs for Ray, and 3 songs for Tony - with a tie for one song of each - so I like both performances equally, but for different songs.

Martin's version gives you the extra song though - and I like Scarlet Pimpernel, nice interplay between Tony Iommi and Geoff on that one, and a nice little gap between the bluesy Nightmare and the frantic Lost Forever - just a shame Eternal Idol was the closing track as it deserved to stand out more.

As for Ray performing on Headless Cross - in all honesty, if he'd stayed, I don't think it would have been made at all, and Sabbath would have went in a different direction musically and lyrically.

Comment

At the moment, I'm going with Ray's. But one thing I have learned about me and music- it takes a year or more to tell where I'm going to place a release in my mind. I tend to get very excited about new releases (still) and I put them into heavy rotation. Then, I seem to forget about them.

I'll try to remember to bump this thread around next Halloween and see what my brain says then. Right now, Ray.
          The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
          The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
          As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
          We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Comment

It depends on the song, brother. I will give it a proper answer when I listen both versions FINALIZED. So far, I only have listened Ray's demo version, so it's far unfair to him to compare.
            Can't you see what I see
            You and I victims of Their word
            As the master of power
            Try to poison our world
            ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Comment

I bought Eternal Idol on cassette the day it was released in 87 and was blown away by Tony Martin's vocals. As I was driving home I remember thinking that this guy was Ray Gillen until I looked at the liner notes. The previous year I had seen Sabbath with Ray Gillen and was unaware of the change until I read the liner notes. Having said that I was amazed by Tony Martin's range and power. Flash forward 12 years and I got a boot of the Gillen years and was impressed by what might have been. Now in 2010 with an official, decent sounding release of the version with Ray I must say that it is tough to choose but I will have to go with the Ray Gillen version. His vocals just sound awesome on this release. This is one of my all time favorite albums and I am happy to have both versions. Thank you Mr. Iommi!

Comment

Overall, I prefer Ray's version of Eternal Idol. Not only are the vocals better, but the music itself seems to have more power and punch to it. The Tony Martin version just seems sort of flat and whatnot compared to the Ray version.
                If the magic comes between us
                And we never meet again
                Take a part of me away
                'Cause maybe it's all above love
                ~As Long As It's Not About Love~

Comment

I believe that Ray Gillen was the perfect replacement for Glenn Hughes on the Seventh Star tour, he could really sing those songs GOOD! But Eternal Idol is one of my least favourite albums, and in the studio I beleive Tony Martin was a better choice than Ray. So Tony it is :D

I also agree that Headless Cross with Ray would have been... well it would never have happened...
                  "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
                  -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
                  - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
                  http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Comment

Ray Gillen.

Comment

Just got a copy of the EI deluxe today. I have been in awe of Ray's polished version. I have been a Ray fan for years. Badlands CD's get regular rotation with me, but my gosh, after listening to EI with Ray, I have to think how good Sabbath would have been with him in the line-up. No disrespect to Mr. Martin, as I enjoy his work as well.
                      "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Comment

I have to say I prefer the Tony Martin version. He just has a little more gravel in his voice then Ray which to me, fit the feel of Sabbath better imo. Don't get me wrong though, Ray Gillen was an amazing vocalist, and I really like his work.
                        Words laced with blasphemy, drip with sincerity. Falling into the plan, like sacrificial lambs. Hearing the words, and said rings like nail to the head. Now I can see the stars, I know we have gone too far.
                        - OverKill, "Horrorscope"

Comment

Martin version, hands down. I just don't dig Gillens voice at all. Like I've stated, it lacks balls and personality. And when I come to think of it, his vocals bare a striking resemblance to Geoff Tate.
                          "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
                          "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
                          "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

I'll go for Ray's version.
                            Living in a world of make believe I can hide behind what's real
                            But wearing your emotions on your sleeve and they all know what you feel
                            And here it comes again straight through the heart straight through the heart

Comment

Originally posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
                              Martin version, hands down. I just don't dig Gillens voice at all. Like I've stated, it lacks balls and personality. And when I come to think of it, his vocals bare a striking resemblance to Geoff Tate.
                              To me they sound nothing alike.
                              Words laced with blasphemy, drip with sincerity. Falling into the plan, like sacrificial lambs. Hearing the words, and said rings like nail to the head. Now I can see the stars, I know we have gone too far.
                              - OverKill, "Horrorscope"

Comment

Working...
                              X