Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does everyone think of The Eternal Idol album?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does everyone think of The Eternal Idol album?

10/10. Really tight album. I don't like the Ray Gillen version though, only the Tony Martin version. My opinion, this album has Tony Iommi's heaviest riffs of all time. I think this album should get more credit because it so good. One thing pisses me off, this album had bad selling and bad commercial attraction.

What does every1 think of this album?

I agree on the Tony Martin version being the better one, I think Ray was way better live, singing the songs from the epic "Seventh Star" album. On topic though, I think that Eternal idol must be one of the less incredible Black Sabbath albums, even though it (of course) has its highlights. I like "The Shining", "Ancient Warrior" and "Glory Ride" the most, some of the others are good but about 3-4 I usually skip when I listen to the album. Still worth getting it of course! on a scale 1 to 10 I would give it a 5.
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
    -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
    - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
    http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Comment

It is a pretty tight album, if you consider the circumstances under which was made. I do prefer Ray's version, but even it isnt as mind blowing as other Tony Martin's albums with Sabbath. But rating Eternal Idol would force me giving 8 of 10 stars.
      Can't you see what I see
      You and I victims of Their word
      As the master of power
      Try to poison our world
      ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Comment

Alright album, if you're listening to Ray's version. I prefer Ray's vocals by a longshot.

I'm only really a fan of select songs though.

Comment

Amazing album even more so when it's protracted gestation is considered.
          Would prefer the Ray version if given a full proper mix but then it was written for his vocal style and Tony M is awesome considering the way he had to work and the timescale he was given to finish the album.
          A strong 7.5/10 for me.

Comment

I love the Ray Gillen version.
            could care less about the Tony Martin Version.
            www.reverbnation.com/sungod4

www.facebook/curseofdisobedience

www.reverbnation.com/clawhammer1 and www.reverbnation.com/blackmountainthunder

Comment

Fantastic album, I much prefer TM's version. Ray just didn't have enough personality for me. I still have a hard time getting into Hard Life to Love but it'll grow on me.

Comment

like Ray's version alot

Comment

Very good album, I rate it 10 / 10, but I rate every single Sabbath album 10 / 10...It's a very solid album, bit repetive in some places....but just a fucking fantstic album! Love TM version, but i like Rays version more

RISE UP TO THE SHINING!!!!
                  Last edited by Axeman77; 01-09-2011, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Great album and by far my favorite Sabbath album with Tony Martin.

Comment

I love both versions of it, but Tony's is a bit better, I think.
                      My Rock, Alternative, and Metal review page:

http://deadrockanthem.blogspot.com/

Comment

It's been about 10 years since I listened to EI but stared listening again a few weeks ago one song at a time. The only song I like is The Shinning. The rifts on the rest are ok but I just can't get into the singing. It's too generic.

Comment

Love it, liked it when it first came out-very underrated. I like the ray gillan version-I think he was a great singer, would of liked to see what else he could of did with sabbath. 9/10.

Comment

i love that album-great sound quality too.I remember when it came out and i brought it to a party and jammed it(cassette) no one believed it was sabbath because sounded so diff. about 5 of my friends from the party bought it after that.very under rated and of course under promoted.Now i never see it in stores.still havent seen reissue which is a whole other problem altogether.All reissues would probably sell better if they were actually in stores-duh

Comment

It's one of my favorite albums of all time.
                              Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Comment

Working...
                              X