X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheElfoid
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Siegler View Post
    They're not gonna change the cover art. It is what it is.
    Can you say that with much certainty? A lot of reissues have alternative artwork.

Examples:
    * Iron Maiden (when catalogue was digitally remastered in 1998, they gave Iron Maiden a new version of the original artwork, corrected a colour error on The Number of the Beast where the background had been blue instead of grey and made major changes to No Prayer for the Dying's artwork as well)
    * Megadeth (gave new cover art to the remaster of Killing Is My Business and Risk as part of their remaster series, as well as standardising the Megadeth logo and tweaking font sizes on the album names on the others)
    * Motley Crue (Shout at the Devil, when reissued on CD, had new artwork. The original artwork was returned when the remastered versions of the albums were released)
    * Whitesnake (Whitesnake had updated artwork for the 20th anniversary edition)
    * Michael Jackson (special edition of Off the Wall has a pretty different set of artwork, and then there was that whole Thriller 25 thing)
    * Deep Purple (Machine Head reissue)
    * Kiss (Creatures of the Night was altered on I think three occasions)
    * Disturbed (remixed/remastered version of The Sickness gave artwork a bit of a facelift)

I wouldn't say an update is likely, but certainly not impossible, surely?

Leave a comment:

• KazolOrajia
    replied
    Originally posted by Freddy the O View Post
    Am I the only one who is disappointed that Headless Cross won't be getting a remix as well?

That album is actually very frustrating to me; it features some of the best post-Dio songwriting, but the production is awfully dated. The drums sound incredibly dull, the keys are way too loud and everything is drenched in cheesy 80's reverb. I realise that it'll always sound like an album from 1989, but I think a new mix would help the album get the recognition it sorely deserves.

Make no mistake, though. I still think it's awesome that the Tony Martin-era albums will finally be widely available again.
    Honestly, I don't even think Forbidden needs a remix. It sounds fine how it is to me. Headless Cross is the most dated Sabbath album in my opinion, due to both the production and songwriting, and a remix would be cool, but I don't mind either way.

Leave a comment:

• Freddy the O
    replied
    Am I the only one who is disappointed that Headless Cross won't be getting a remix as well?

That album is actually very frustrating to me; it features some of the best post-Dio songwriting, but the production is awfully dated. The drums sound incredibly dull, the keys are way too loud and everything is drenched in cheesy 80's reverb. I realise that it'll always sound like an album from 1989, but I think a new mix would help the album get the recognition it sorely deserves.

Make no mistake, though. I still think it's awesome that the Tony Martin-era albums will finally be widely available again.

Leave a comment:

• KazolOrajia
    replied
    I love the cover. It's stylized but dark, and very unique. I like the style.

Leave a comment:

• Jaydeeboxster
    replied
    Ogri rules !

Leave a comment:

• Joe Siegler
    replied
    They're not gonna change the cover art. It is what it is.

Leave a comment:

• Van Sabbath
    replied
    I was in the same boat when I first saw the artwork, I thought it was garbage as well. But i've grown to really like the artwork, you gotta admit it is pretty creative despite it not being pretty. Although maybe a color edit would do, you know change the grim reaper's cloak to something more dark instead of that red and blue for example.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Siegler
    replied
    I have to say the cancer stuff probably delayed this, yeah. What little time he might have had to work on this while also working on the new album is probably gone.

Which is fine - his health is more important than these album reissues.

Leave a comment:

• Musicman11
    replied
    Well with Tony Iommi's current position, I think it's safe to say that we won't be seeing these next year. These have to be the LAST thing on his mind with everything else involved and I'm pretty sure it's safe to say they are on the back burner. Also seeing as to how long these have been rumored about, I just simply think that these remasters and remix just aren't going to see the light of day. If I find the album pretty decently priced I'll just buy those and not worry about what I may end up missing. The only things I was really looking forward to with these albums were the fact they would be a little easier to find and be new then before, and the hope of seeing Cross Purposes Live in the mix.

Leave a comment:

• David86
    replied
    Forbidden will get a remix
    I'm a happy camper!!

Leave a comment:

• John Sposato
    replied
    Headless Cross and Týr

I have to get a fan in Russia official CD copies of Headless Cross and Týr. He doesn't wanna buy pirate copies. He wants to do whats right. He sent me EU reissues of Technical Ecstasy, Never Say Die!, and Heaven and Hell as well as some solo Ozzy. Also sent one Dio CD to him.
    I used to see these two albums in shops but now when I go on amazon they're a fortune. Very frustrating. I did find a remotely affordable copy on eBay from Ukraine. Just hope its not a pirate. If so, I hope I'm outbid or I'd be carrying coal to Newcastle 'cos the ex-USSR is rampant with illegal editions. I did see another copy in Greece which will be plan B. Gotta strike while the iron is hot, like someone here said earlier. I also saw a Canadian tape for $6.66! LOL. Not as much luck with Headless Cross though. With the pending Universal/EMI merger, I wonder if this will affect any reissues in future. It shouldn't really.
    Last edited by John Sposato; 01-10-2012, 04:27 PM. Reason: Typo.

Leave a comment:

• Musicman11
    replied
    I hate that we are having to wait so long for proper rereleases of these albums, but I'll gladly take them when the time arrives. I've really begun to enjoy the Martin era material over the past few days (Save for Forbidden) and would really love to own definitive versions of the albums. Seeing as it is nearly 2012 I hope we get an update soon with most of the details, seems like they would have it to it fairly soon to not be completely over-shadowed by the original line-ups new tour and album.

Leave a comment:

• Pink Led Rush
    replied
    Thanks Joe, all we can hope for is that it's sooner than later.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Siegler
    replied
    I thought this was posted here, but it was not.

November 2011 Update on all this: I was told what was happening with the 11-11-11 reunion stuff by Tony Iommi's manager two days before it was announced. The FIRST THING I asked him in response was "Will this delay the Tony Martin/IRS era reissues"? I was told no, it is not directly delaying them. The two projects are independent of each other, I was informed. I was told the reason we haven't gotten these out yet is because the remix of the Forbidden album hasn't been completed. It has been worked on yes, but not completed."

Some personal thoughts on that..

Given Tony's time is studio based until they start gearing up for concert rehearsals and whanot, he can presumably still work on this. I don't know HOW finished it is, though. But when it is, it's pretty much out of Tony's hands. The remastering work, the liner notes and all the shit that goes into a re-issue is done by someone else (One of, if not all of the three of Steve Hammonds, Jon Richards, & Hugh Gilmour group - look at your deluxe edition credits, those names should be familiar). The remastering work will likely be done by Andy Pearce (he's done all the other 2009-2011 Universal reissues). So once Tony I finishes the Forbidden remix, it can be handed off for the Universal guys to do their thing. Yeah, Tony will probably get approval on extras, things of that nature, but that doesn't require anything more than a phone call or an email, really. That's not nearly as dependent on other events.

However.. Given the time between now and when they will start gearing up for tour rehearsals (probably mid April, given the tour starts in May) isn't THAT huge.. Tony will have to record the new album, do whatever needs to be done on that. And squeeze in finishing the Forbidden remix. My guess is if he doesn't finish remixing it by April, we won't see it for quite some time, as he won't want to work on that (or simply can't, probably will require his home studio) when they're out on the road with Sabbath, which will be WELL into 2013. I suppose it could be done during summer of 2012, but let's face it. He'll be gearing up to finish the new album, do all the promotional stuff for that. He's not going put promotion for the new studio album with Ozzy on hold to work on a reissue of the worst selling album in the band's history. As much as I'd rather have him do that, let's be real - new album will take priority.

So, my personal guess is.. If he doesn't finish the remix by mid April next year, we likely won't see this until later in 2013 or so (after touring is done). This is guesswork based on the assumption that the contract won't be signed until he's finished with the remix work. I was also told some point over the year that the IRS remasters were all going to be re-released at the same time, not staggered over time one by one. We could get a surprise and get the contract signed early before the Forbidden remix is done, and stagger the releases, but my gut says no.

The only hard facts we have are that the IRS albums are still going to get re-released, Forbidden will get a remix, and no work can be done on them until a contract is signed.
    Last edited by Joe Siegler; 11-29-2011, 10:47 AM. Reason: Fixed a couple of typos

Leave a comment:

• Pink Led Rush
    replied
    UPDATE...

There is no update. I asked this past week if there's been any movement on singing the contract, and I was told no. However, I was told it was still happening, just "in due course".
    Ugh... thanks for the non-update though, Joe. All news is appreciated.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X