X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say the cancer stuff probably delayed this, yeah. What little time he might have had to work on this while also working on the new album is probably gone.

Which is fine - his health is more important than these album reissues.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

I was in the same boat when I first saw the artwork, I thought it was garbage as well. But i've grown to really like the artwork, you gotta admit it is pretty creative despite it not being pretty. Although maybe a color edit would do, you know change the grim reaper's cloak to something more dark instead of that red and blue for example.

Comment

They're not gonna change the cover art. It is what it is.

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

Ogri rules !

Comment

I love the cover. It's stylized but dark, and very unique. I like the style.

Comment

Am I the only one who is disappointed that Headless Cross won't be getting a remix as well?

That album is actually very frustrating to me; it features some of the best post-Dio songwriting, but the production is awfully dated. The drums sound incredibly dull, the keys are way too loud and everything is drenched in cheesy 80's reverb. I realise that it'll always sound like an album from 1989, but I think a new mix would help the album get the recognition it sorely deserves.

Make no mistake, though. I still think it's awesome that the Tony Martin-era albums will finally be widely available again.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy the O View Post
                Am I the only one who is disappointed that Headless Cross won't be getting a remix as well?

That album is actually very frustrating to me; it features some of the best post-Dio songwriting, but the production is awfully dated. The drums sound incredibly dull, the keys are way too loud and everything is drenched in cheesy 80's reverb. I realise that it'll always sound like an album from 1989, but I think a new mix would help the album get the recognition it sorely deserves.

Make no mistake, though. I still think it's awesome that the Tony Martin-era albums will finally be widely available again.
                Honestly, I don't even think Forbidden needs a remix. It sounds fine how it is to me. Headless Cross is the most dated Sabbath album in my opinion, due to both the production and songwriting, and a remix would be cool, but I don't mind either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Siegler View Post
                  They're not gonna change the cover art. It is what it is.
                  Can you say that with much certainty? A lot of reissues have alternative artwork.

Examples:
                  * Iron Maiden (when catalogue was digitally remastered in 1998, they gave Iron Maiden a new version of the original artwork, corrected a colour error on The Number of the Beast where the background had been blue instead of grey and made major changes to No Prayer for the Dying's artwork as well)
                  * Megadeth (gave new cover art to the remaster of Killing Is My Business and Risk as part of their remaster series, as well as standardising the Megadeth logo and tweaking font sizes on the album names on the others)
                  * Motley Crue (Shout at the Devil, when reissued on CD, had new artwork. The original artwork was returned when the remastered versions of the albums were released)
                  * Whitesnake (Whitesnake had updated artwork for the 20th anniversary edition)
                  * Michael Jackson (special edition of Off the Wall has a pretty different set of artwork, and then there was that whole Thriller 25 thing)
                  * Deep Purple (Machine Head reissue)
                  * Kiss (Creatures of the Night was altered on I think three occasions)
                  * Disturbed (remixed/remastered version of The Sickness gave artwork a bit of a facelift)

I wouldn't say an update is likely, but certainly not impossible, surely?
                  http://theramblingelf.tumblr.com/ - my Tumblog (music reviews galore!)
                  http://twitter.com/TheRamblingElf - my Twitter
                  http://www.facebook.com/rwarrell - my Facebook

Comment

They haven't changed the artwork for any other of the releases (except possibly Master of Reality, but that has a tortured history of cover art - see my discog page for more). I can't see them doing that at all, no.

Comment

Tony Martin answered by saying there's only A couple things that could be used as extras. And he doesn't see the re-releases happening. http://edtradernet.weebly.com/tony-m...interview.html
                      Pain and Poison Roses

Comment

Originally posted by EDTRADER View Post
                        Tony Martin answered by saying there's only A couple things that could be used as extras. And he doesn't see the re-releases happening. http://edtradernet.weebly.com/tony-m...interview.html
                        To be honest, Tony Martin's not in control of them. Given he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder about Sabbath (rightfully so, I might point out)... I don't know if his "not seeing" them coming out is any definitive word or not.

I am convinced it will happen. It would have been out for now, had it not been for Tony's cancer, and the reunion stuff. Nobody knows when at this point.

Comment

Man I wish they would get these albums reissued already! My old vinyls and cds have seen better days, and while I have managed to pick up new cd copies, I think those albums deserve the same treatment as any of the others. Frankly, in some cases they don't even need much in the way of remastering, just some nice packing and a few bonus tracks. Tyr and Headless Cross in particular, they are such great albums. The reissue of The Eternal Idol was fantastic. But then, its one of their most undervalued albums anyway IMO.

Anyone else think Forbidden is highly underrated and misrepresented? I've been going back to it a lot lately, and I'm enjoying it more than ever. I think I might even prefer it to Cross Purposes in places. The likes of Can't Get Close Enough, Rusty Angels, Get A Grip and the title track are monumental.

Comment

It would appear that ONE TRACK from this era will show up again. Anno Mundi is being released as part of the WhoCares full album charity release. Check out this link below for more details on that.

I am attempting to find out the mastering source for Anno Mundi - whether it's the previously (somewhat old) CD mastering, or it's new remastering. If the latter, than it would imply to me that more work was done on these four studio albums than I was aware of. Will keep on top of this, and update this thread when I have more info.

http://www.black-sabbath.com/2012/05...um-coming-out/

UPDATE: I was told on May 10th that Anno Mundi has NOT been remastered. Additionally I was told "Tony has had little time to work on the IRS remasters, not that he'd do much to Tyr anyway". So there you go.
                            Last edited by Joe Siegler; 05-10-2012, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Siegler View Post
                              It would appear that ONE TRACK from this era will show up again. Anno Mundi is being released as part of the WhoCares full album charity release. Check out this link below for more details on that.

I am attempting to find out the mastering source for Anno Mundi - whether it's the previously (somewhat old) CD mastering, or it's new remastering. If the latter, than it would imply to me that more work was done on these four studio albums than I was aware of. Will keep on top of this, and update this thread when I have more info.

http://www.black-sabbath.com/2012/05...um-coming-out/

UPDATE: I was told on May 10th that Anno Mundi has NOT been remastered. Additionally I was told "Tony has had little time to work on the IRS remasters, not that he'd do much to Tyr anyway". So there you go.
                              Wow what a strange choice to have Anno Mundi added in there! Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic track but did Ian Gillan have anything to do with it? Didn't Tony Martin come up with all the lyrics and track names for TYR?

From reading the article you posted, I can't understand what this album is. There is some Glenn Hughes stuff in there too which I find strange! Has all of this stuff been re-recorded or is it some kind of compilation album?

Anyway no matter how strange it is, it's fantastic news to see TYR getting the respect that it deserves. I honestly thought Tony had forgotten all about that album seeing as he didn't say much about it in his booK!

By the way what does the "not that he'd do much to Tyr anyway" bit mean? I can't understand it.

Comment

Meaning there's no behind the scenes work he'd need to do to clean it up for release.

Comment

Working...
                                X