Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

I want to get into tony martin era sabbath any help???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to get into tony martin era sabbath any help???

ok i have never heard any songs post dio era sabbath(my fave era) but i want to know what kind of vocals martin has(is his voice high and screetchy or low and bassy)i was looking at the track listing to headless cross and the tracks sounded really cool. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    They'll take your diamonds and give you steel youll be caught in the middle of the madness just lost like them and part of all the pain they feel.
    ronnie james dio "all the fools sailed away"

RIP Ronnie.

Re: I want to get into tony martin era sabbath any help???

His voice is neither-- actually it is very bluesy, but still has a loud metal edge. It's soft yet hard-- it's really impossible to describe. Possibly why he is my all-time favorite singer.

Comment

"Headless Cross" is quite good, but my recommendation is to start with either "The Eternal Idol" or "Cross Purposes" and go from there. Lots of underrated material on all five Martin era studio releases.

Comment

Tony Martin's voice sort of changes from Tyr to Cross Purposes. From Eternal Idol, Headless Cross, and Tyr, his voice is fairly high (with a bluesy edge, and a slight undertone to it). He really has a fantastic voice, although it is more limited than Dio's. From Cross Purposes to Forbidden, his voice is a bit deeper and harder, which could be more thanks to production changes. This is more in Forbidden, by the way...his voice, at times, sounded really hard and forced durin' that album.

That is, however, the most underproduced album Black Sabbath has probably ever made, though, so that's not sayin' much. By all accounts from Joe, Tony Martin's voice was extremely good durin' the subsequent tour.

My advice is, as those who persuaded me to give the after-Ozzy era a try in the first place (on the Bill Ward forums, quite a while back), give it a whirl. ^ ^ Glenn Hughes and Ian Gillan are also fantastic singers, with Hughes having a majorly 80's bluesy voice, and Gillan havin' some GREAT range! Give them a listen, too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I suggest picking up the Born Again, Seventh Star, Eternal Idol, Tyr, and Cross Purposes albums for a test drive of the vocalists. If you like those, then go for the Headless Cross and Forbidden albums.

Warning: Seventh Star and Forbidden are two EXTREMELY different albums! Seventh Star for unbelieveably obvious reasons, and Forbidden because it's really a filler and underproduced album. They aren't bad, however. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
        How could this poison be the dream of my soul
        How did my fantasies take complete control, yeah

Comment

Generally, I'd say his voice is much more like Dio's than Ozzy's.
          ________
          ps3 jailbreak
          Last edited by Embryo; 01-24-2011, 02:33 PM.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Generally, I'd say his voice is much more like Dio's than Ozzy's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, only his voice is less...Dioish. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
            How could this poison be the dream of my soul
            How did my fantasies take complete control, yeah

Comment

Dioish...I like it.
              ________
              volcano vaporizer reviews
              Last edited by Embryo; 01-24-2011, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Well he is not up to par with Dio.But my favs are the cross purposes and the Eternal Idol.

Comment

Re: I want to get into tony martin era sabbath any hel

Tyr and Eternal Idol.

Comment

I would start with Headless Cross or Tyr, as not only are those the best Martin releases but the easiest to start out with in terms of the overall style and his voice, which in those two albums he was at top form.

Out here in the USA, at least in the Chicago area, you can find these discs in some Circuit City or Best Buy stores for under 7 dollars.

Cross Purposes is GREAT, tho I would not start out with that. I would also not start out with Forbidden. Eternal Idol -- see Cross Purposes, but not a good starting point.

Get Headless Cross or Tyr.

Comment

I would certainly start with Cross Purposes its a fantastic album though many people have a start with Headless Cross....
                      http://www.facebook.com/cosmicchants
                      https://soundcloud.com/cosmicchants
                      http://www.myspace.com/cosmicchants

Comment

One of the many CDs out there titled "Best of Black Sabbath" is cheap 10-track compilation of songs from 4 of the 5 Tony Martin albums. So if you're looking for a Tony Martin-era CD to start with, I'd suggest this one. Amazon.com has it listed, but not in stock.

Comment

Well if we're going to talk compilation albums, I'd say "Sabbath Stones" is superior to the afforementioned due to song choices and arrangement, as well as remastering. It's easy to find used for under $10 if you are so inclined. It's almost entirely Martin stuff.

Comment

Pick up a copy of TYR. You won't be sorry.

Comment

All of the Martin albums have good songs. My personal opinion is that Eternal Idol is the most solid album first track to last track of all the Martin era albums. But if you want a listing from me..

Eternal Idol
                              Tyr
                              Headless Cross
                              Cross Purposes
                              Forbidden

You might want to try the 1996 Greatest Hits album "The Sabbath Stones". Hits all the albums, plus a track from Seventh Star and Born Again, too. It was never released in the States, though. I see someone else recommended it over the unofficial Greatest Hits thing that was also linked to. I agree with this assessement.
                              Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
                              View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

Working...
                              X