Tony Martin Live Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Martin Live Question

I listened to Cross Purposes Live and a SBD bootleg from the Headless Cross tour and I noticed that it seems like Martin kind of ducks some of the high notes on the classic stuff (see Neon Knights) and they had taped in chorus vocals on his own material (Headless Cross, When Death Calls, etc.). Was there a reason for him ducking the notes?

^^^^ simply because he can't reach the high notes himself like he did during the studio sessions .. Geoff Nicholls helps him as well with backing vocals and tapes for few chorus , indeed .
    but Mr Martin was very talented during the Headless Cross and Tyr Tours and did a amazing job trough Ozzy and Dio 's materials + his own stuff .
    No screen monitors , just few chorus tapes .
    However , Tony deserves a lot of consideration for what he' ve done for the band .

Comment

Originally posted by jestor92 View Post
      I listened to Cross Purposes Live and a SBD bootleg from the Headless Cross tour and I noticed that it seems like Martin kind of ducks some of the high notes on the classic stuff (see Neon Knights) and they had taped in chorus vocals on his own material (Headless Cross, When Death Calls, etc.). Was there a reason for him ducking the notes?
      He was sick for much of the Cross Purposes tour.

Comment

I remember hearing about him being sick during the Cross Purposes tour, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt on Cross Purposes Live. I still don't understand the use of taped chorus vocs during the Headless Cross tour. I get that yeah he can't hit those notes live, but no reason why he couldn't/shouldn't have at least sang the chorus instead of the cheap pre-recorded vocs.

For me it's a bit disappointing because I enjoy Martin's work as the Sabbath vocalist and think he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Comment

I think the taped vocals on Headless Cross and When Death Calls were due to the fact that on the album versions he sings lines which overlap with the choruses, and obviously live he wouldn't have been able to sing two parts at the same time. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have had a problem hitting those notes on the Headless Cross and Tyr tours. When he rejoined the band for Cross Purposes his voice had changed, while his singing on the album is still amazing he's not going as high as he did before, and live he was really struggling with a lot of the material.

I've heard that he was sick on the Cross Purposes tour, but he basically sounds the same for all of that tour, and not really any better on the Forbidden tour either - which is to say still good but with a very limited range compared to what he had before...

Comment

Tony was very sick on that show....And there isn't much taped choruses there it's actually Geoff Nicholls doing the background vocals...they might have added something in post production, but I doubt it.

Comment

On every bootleg I've seen of the song Headless Cross, from the HC tour, to Cross Purposes, to Tony's current shows, he's got a prerecorded vocal that's definitely him, not another singer, but Tony. I think he just could never hit that high part live.

Comment

Originally posted by ozzfloyd View Post
                On every bootleg I've seen of the song Headless Cross, from the HC tour, to Cross Purposes, to Tony's current shows, he's got a prerecorded vocal that's definitely him, not another singer, but Tony. I think he just could never hit that high part live.
                Again it's Geoff Nicholls...Tony introduces him on almost every single show....

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
                  Again it's Geoff Nicholls...Tony introduces him on almost every single show....
                  On the classic songs like Neon Knights it's Geoff Nicholls who is helping him with the vocs. That I have no issue with. On the Tony Martin songs that's not Geoff helping him out with the vocs unless you consider using pre-recorded vocals and hitting a button to use them as helping.

Case in point go to 1:46 of this video

Last edited by jestor92; 05-16-2013, 10:06 AM.

Comment

On the classic songs like Neon Knights it's Geoff Nicholls who is helping him with the vocs. That I have no issue with. On the Tony Martin songs that's not Geoff helping him out with the vocs unless you consider using pre-recorded vocals and hitting a button to use them as helping.

Case in point go to 1:46 of this video

Yeah...interesting that he didn't even try to mask it or at least sing in a lower register over it himself to fill the sound. If you're gonna hold out the mic for the crowd, then just let them sing it. Weird.

Although he uses it even more so now a days. It's just more surprising back then.
                    ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

Comment

Originally posted by hipster doofus View Post
                      Yeah...interesting that he didn't even try to mask it or at least sing in a lower register over it himself to fill the sound. If you're gonna hold out the mic for the crowd, then just let them sing it. Weird.

Although he uses it even more so now a days. It's just more surprising back then.
                      I'm still saying it's Geoff Nicholls singing that part. That's the way I've always heard/thought of it anyways...

Comment

see one of TM's better 1989 performances here.
                        Pain and Poison Roses

Comment

Great performance of Tony Martin , indeed !
                          very close to the studio version , including high notes (3'35 , WOOWW!! ))
                          Geoff is on backing vocals , but I beleive hearing pluri-backing vocals tapes too on "Hero"
                          anyway , thanx for sharing . This demonstrates, as if it was still necessary, the immense talent of Mr. Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by hipster doofus View Post

You can hear him, but sounds more like Geoff doing that part than Tony's "backing voice".

Comment

Answering to OP, Tony was bat sick during that Cross Purposes tour and that have caused some damages on his pipes. Tony states that only now his voice is in a Great shape and that he learned how to use his voice properly.

As Tony once said, and I quote from memory here, "I wanted to impress so I sang whatever they told me to", and boy, he did.

Ed beat me to it (of course he did, guy own every Sabbath bootleg on earth) but you can see how he sounded in 89 before he performed a world tour with a severe throath infection. Kids, dont try that at home!
                              Can't you see what I see
                              You and I victims of Their word
                              As the master of power
                              Try to poison our world
                              ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Comment

Working...
                              X