Clear All

• What's Your Favorite Tony Martin Album

What's your favorite Tony Martin album:

1) Eternal Idol
    2) Headless Cross
    3) Tyr
    4) Cross Purposes
    5) Forbidden

I thought we would have a little fun and establish the "must have" albums of the three Sabbath eras: Ozzy, Dio, and Martin. Once we know the favorite of each era, then we can run the three albums against each other and get a pecking order of the three best albums. So, please look for a similar poll under each lead singer's discussion page.

For me, this is actually tough, because I think that all the Martin albums are great.....but I'll go with Tyr. 30 days on each poll before we establish the best album from each era.

This will actually be somewhat useful to all those folks who are looking to broaden their horizons and want to try a different Sabbath era. With any luck, we will be able to give them something informative and helpful.
    Eternal Idol
    14.63%
    Headless Cross
    17.07%
    Tyr
    29.27%
    Cross Purposes
    34.15%
    Forbidden
    4.88%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Now in Darkness; 06-24-2013, 06:30 PM.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

I'll choose what you have in this one nid considering we 99percent enjoy the same albums tyr!
    Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Comment

Thank you for starting this thread NID, I voted Forbidden, was just listening to it today.
      "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
      "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
      ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
        Thank you for starting this thread NID, I voted Forbidden, was just listening to it today.
        I listened to Forbidden while I made up these three polls. Killer. Martin rocks. I really hope that more people will give the Martin stuff a try (for free on You Tube) and enjoy it like we do.

Comment

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
          I listened to Forbidden while I made up these three polls. Killer. Martin rocks. I really hope that more people will give the Martin stuff a try (for free on You Tube) and enjoy it like we do.
          Forbidden is the least liked Martin album, by the Martin era fans, funny enough it's my favorite Martin/Sabbath album, it's the one that sounds more Sabbath to me than any other Tony Martin era albums. The only turn off for me is Ice-T talking in the song Illusion Of Power, which is one of the best songs on the album.
          "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
          "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

How long you keeping the poll open for before you do the big 3 poll nid?
            Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
              Forbidden is the least liked Martin album, by the Martin era fans, funny enough it's my favorite Martin/Sabbath album, it's the one that sounds more Sabbath to me than any other Tony Martin era albums. The only turn off for me is Ice-T talking in the song Illusion Of Power, which is one of the best songs on the album.
              Unlike you, I actually love the Ice-T part too.....and the demonic laughing. I can certainly see why it might bug people, but it is cool nonetheless. You have to shake it up occasionally, and that was a neat touch. I agree that Forbidden has some dirgey sounding riffs that are very reminiscent of other eras.

Originally posted by Spiralarchitectx1 View Post
              How long you keeping the poll open for before you do the big 3 poll nid?
              Each poll closes in 30 days, and then I will put up the 3 best era albums, and we can rank those. Anyone looking to try a new era will have a good starting point.

Comment

I went with Cross Purposes. It's not just my gavoutrite Martin album, it;s one of the 7 Sabbath albums I couldn't live without! Also like Tyr and Eternal Idol a lot, but although Headless Cross and Forbidden both have their good moments there's a little too much filler for me.
                My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Comment

I have always loved Tony Martin vocal- so much that he is my favourite singer and Tony Martin Sabbath is my second favourite era of Sabbath. Each album is something special, but I do prefer one album a bit more than the others- eternal Idol for its mystic atmosphere and mystic lyrics and because of the doomy title track which is one of my favourite songs ever made.
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Earth...1758116945102- ours Black Sabbath fanpage

Comment

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
                    Unlike you, I actually love the Ice-T part too.....and the demonic laughing. I can certainly see why it might bug people, but it is cool nonetheless. You have to shake it up occasionally, and that was a neat touch. I agree that Forbidden has some dirgey sounding riffs that are very reminiscent of other eras.

Each poll closes in 30 days, and then I will put up the 3 best era albums, and we can rank those. Anyone looking to try a new era will have a good starting point.
                    That's a good Idea, look forward to participating in that.

Comment

Cross Purposes
                      Life Member of the NRA

Comment

I have always felt, and still feel that the Martin-era Sabbath albums were largely dreadful and disposable.

Of the lot, I have also always felt that Cross Purposes was at least semi-decent, with a handful of good songs on it. So, that's the way I voted.
                        "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

The Eternal Idol
                          followed by Tyr , Cross Purposes and Headless Cross

Comment

It's close between HC and TYR. HC has those monster riffs but hokey lyrics. Tyr has some great music and slightly less hokey lyrics, so TYR for me.
                            And if the sun never shined on us, the night time has fruit of the vine High on Fire-Brother in the Wind

Comment

For me, not even close. I have Cross Purposes as one of the 5 best Sabbath albums of all time.
                              The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
                              The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
                              As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
                              We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Comment

Working...
                              X