Psychphobia Lyrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psychphobia Lyrics

Psychophobia, a great song from the Cross Purposes album with Tony Martin, has some interesting lyrics. Dio was rightfully seen by Martin as an interloper when he came back in for Dehumanizer in 1992. Up until that point Tony Martin had served loyally with Sabbath for years, and was again re-united with the band for 2 more albums after Dehumanizer. Cross Purposes came out in 1994, 2 years after Dehumanizer, and I can't help but wonder if Psychophobia was a dig at Dio, based on the wording, and in particular the reference of "it's time to kiss the rainbow goodbye" and "think your god, don't you wish you had control?". We all know that Dio was nuts about rainbows for some reason. Tony was treated poorly, and I could not blame him for having some resentment to the band and Dio, for his shabby treatment.

I really don't know, so I am putting it out there; was this a poke at Dio?:

Psychophobia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hLBb4sKQfQ

Mortal eyes, looking through a veil of dreams,
    Hypnotised, an ever living soul with wings
    Think you're God, but you never had control,
    Think you're loved but there's no one there at all...

My colours all ran dry, and now I see the world in black and white,
    It's too late now, it's time to kiss the rainbow goodbye

Poison tears running from a palsied face,
    Satan nears, descending on the human race
    Think you're God, don't you wish you had control,
    Think you're loved, but there's no one there at all...

Listen to the wind, hear the gospel blow,
    Tell me that you don't hear what I'm hearing and I will let you go. Look up to the sky, put your trust in me,
    Tell me that you ain't feelin what I'm feelin and I will set you free

Look into the flame, see the embers glow,
    Tell me that you don't see what I'm seein and I will let you go
    Look up to the sky, put your trust in me,
    Tell me that you ain't feelin what I'm feelin and I will set you free

Look into the flame, see the embers glow,
    Tell me that you don't see what I'm seein and I will let you go
    Taste the holy blood, running from my veins,
    Tell me that you ain't feelin what I'm feelin and I'll take away the pain
    Yes I will now, oh yes I will
    It's time To kiss the rainbow goodbye

A link to Cross Purposes if you want to listen to this excellent album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aydMKOxuHho
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 07-19-2013, 12:42 PM.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

No..nothing to do with Ronnie.

Something about a killer or a terrorist or something along those lines...Perhaps someone would remember, because right now I just can't...but I'll ask Tony.

Comment

One of my favorite TM era songs, the guitar is killer... this is a song they could have played on FM stations, it clocks in I think under 4 min. it's a bone crusher... I know alot of fans think Cozy Powell was their best drummer if not in this period, than even any era of BS, but I prefer Rondinelli, I think he's better suited, he's busier, pounds the shit out of 'em too... Cozy was a straight ahead, ahead of the beat, drummer... his style really doesn't turn me on, I think for example Brad Wilk's work on 13 is the best I've heard since the Ward days of the 70's...
      "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
      R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
        No..nothing to do with Ronnie.

Something about a killer or a terrorist or something along those lines...Perhaps someone would remember, because right now I just can't...but I'll ask Tony.
        Perfect. I would love to know. I'm not sure Tony would tell the truth at this stage of the game, if it was about Dio. The anger and passion will have given way to apathy at this point. Let us know what you learn. One thing I will say is Martin was a very good lyricist, and crafted his words carefully.

Charger, when you talk to Tony, please pass on kind regards from BSO.

Anyone else?
        Last edited by Now in Darkness; 07-19-2013, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
          Perfect. I would love to know. I'm not sure tony would tell the truth at this stage of the game, if it was about Dio. The anger and passion will have given way to aparthy at this point. Let us know what you learn. One thing I will say is Martin was a very good lyricist, and crafted his words carefully.

Anyone else?
          Yea that line "it's time to kiss the rainbow goodbye.." always reminded me of a tongue in cheek stab at Dio...
          "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
          R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
            Yea that line "it's time to kiss the rainbow goodbye.." always reminded me of a tongue in cheek stab at Dio...
            Well, you would have to figure that even if the song was not about Dio specifically, Tony would have known that the reference could lead to certain perceptions, and he was comfortable with putting that double entendre out there for all to muse over. I doubt that he could have written that lyric without knowing or being reminded of the implications of the rainbow reference; especially the reference to the rainbow losing its color, and now being black and white. I don't know, but I do find the whole thing to be very interesting. Without playing favorites, Martin was treated so badly, that I could not blame him for incorporating some of his feelings into a song such as this.

I thought that the song that Charger referred to was Dying for Love, and not Psychophobia.
            Last edited by Now in Darkness; 07-19-2013, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Psychophobia is about David Koresh and the events that took place in Waco Texas in 1993.
              http://wickedinquisition.bandcamp.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sn0wb1ind0zzy View Post
                Psychophobia is about David Koresh and the events that took place in Waco Texas in 1993.
                Wow. Do we know that for certain? If so, another tip of the hat to Tony Martin for his very meaningful lyrics. He always delved into politically and socially relevant topics, including, Cross of Thorns, which was about the Catholic/ Protestan wars in the UK.

The man was a true artist.
                Last edited by Now in Darkness; 07-19-2013, 01:57 PM.

Comment

I post Kiss Of Death up for old tmes sake, some think it's TM singing about himself and maybe a veiled referrence to his treatment by Tony I. in the band... when you listen to the lyrics, you can come away wit hthat for sure... very powerful song...
                  R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by sn0wb1ind0zzy View Post
                    YES! That was it! I knew it had something to do with a terrorist of some sort!

The title translates into Fear Of The Mind and I know the lyrics reflect some of Koresh's mindset...I think...and about the whole way he was running his "clan"...

Actually a lot of the themes on Cross Purposes are about war and crime and such...

As NiD mentioned Dying For Love is actually about the Yugoslavian situation that was going on at the time and Cross Of Thorns is about North Ireland.

Haven't heard back from the man yet...but I'll sure post his reply as soon as I get it!

Comment

Do you really know iommi charger my friend?
                      That's awesome if you do!!
                      Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Comment

Originally posted by Spiralarchitectx1 View Post
                        Do you really know iommi charger my friend?
                        That's awesome if you do!!
                        No not Iommi, Martin. He who wrote the brilliant lyrics Tony, not he who played the monster riffs Tony.

And i don't really know know Tony but we've had some great conversations on facebook. He's a super nice guy.
                        Last edited by Charger; 07-19-2013, 05:35 PM.

Comment

No not Iommi, Martin. He who wrote the brilliant lyrics Tony, not he who played the monster riffs Tony.

And i don't really know know Tony but we've had some great conversations on facebook. He's a super nice guy.
                          Yes, and he is a guy who I hope that the passage of time treats fairly. He has much recognition owed him, and I hope at some point that Sabbath find it in their conscience not to ignore the Dio and Martin years. You cannot un-write history.

Comment

Ah, that's very cool Charger.... I didn't know that...TM & I share the same date of birth..April 19th, 1957...
                            R. Blackmore

Comment

Still awesome!!
                              Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Comment

Working...
                              X