Let's Talk Tyr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Talk Tyr

I've got Tyr on original vinyl and original CD, so its pretty obvious that I'm partial to the album! Every track is excellent, and I love the fact that Sabbath took a change of direction and covered a different subject matter for a change on this venture (partly at the persuasion of IRS). Of the Tony Martin era albums, this has to be his vocal pinnacle, in my opinion, and everything about it is a pleasure to listen to. I know that ballads aren't for everyone, but there is no denying (IMHO) that of all the Sabbath front men, Tony Martin was the unrivaled balladeer, and Feels Good to Me is an excellent example of why. Truly an amazing album, and very under appreciated in the Sabbath canon. Tyr is to Martin what Paranoid was to Ozzy and what Mob Rules was to Dio. What are your thoughts on Tyr? If you haven't heard it, you've missed out on something great. Good, bad, or indifferent, let's here it.
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 11-13-2013, 09:48 AM.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

I love TYR very much. It is without a doubt my favorite of the Martin albums. I first had it on tape when it was released and at the time I liked it but not as much as I do now. I was able to get it on CD from one of my local CD shops about a year ago now. I have listened to it 30 times according to Itunes. It is one hell of an album.
    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Comment

My cd copy is still sealed and as yet un-played,
      Was the clip that tyr66 posted on the other wolves thread a track from it cause it was a pretty nice ditty that one.
      Last edited by Spiralarchitectx1; 11-12-2013, 06:31 PM.
      Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Comment

Originally posted by Spiralarchitectx1 View Post
        Was the clip that tyr66 posted on the other wolves thread a track from it cause it was a pretty nice ditty that one.
        Yup, you betcha, and it only gets better than that.

A YouTube link for you Spiral: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw1fByNVx2I

Just listen to the first track (loud), and hopefully that will grab you. I just listened to the whole album for my fifteenthosandth time, and all I can say is holy shat. Love it.

As requested Spiral. This is an original Canadian copy. Note the black spine vs. the later clear spine:

Last edited by Now in Darkness; 11-12-2013, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
          Yup, you betcha, and it only gets better than that.

A YouTube link for you Spiral: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw1fByNVx2I

Just listen to the first track (loud), and hopefully that will grab you. I just listened to the whole album for my fifteenthosandth time, and all I can say is holy shat. Love it.

As requested Spiral. This is an original Canadian copy. Note the black spine vs. the later clear spine:

Cool, gonna give it a listen now!,(your link)
          Mine has the clear spine with the green inlay card.

Started listening, but gotta be in right frame of mind and it's early in morn dude.
          Last edited by Spiralarchitectx1; 11-12-2013, 08:22 PM.

Comment

IRS was happy with international sales of Headless Cross. They were easy to say yes when the band had plans to release a new album only a year later. I've been having conversations with a former IRS records employee and got some info coming up soon.
            Pain and Poison Roses

Comment

Great record NID. Anno Mundi could be my favorite Martin era track actually. Along with Cross Purposes, easily my two favorite Martin albums. The record is incredibly cohesive and the songwriting is excellent. Sabbath Stones is another classic Sabbath track.
              Religion won't save me
              The damage is done
              The future has ended
              Before it's begun
              - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

Comment

Tyr is a very special album , for me .
                at the time , Tyr is the final chapter of the rebirth of the band : Split after Born again , the 7 Star episode ( that I love ) , Eternal Idol followed by Headless Cross with The famous Iommi/Powell/Martin new spine .
                With Tyr , the talented Neil Murray finalizes a true great line up , without to mention the formidable Geoff Nicholls ' signature .
                I love this album : Anno Mundi , The Law Maker , Jerusalem ( Tony Martin at his top ), Sabbath stones , The running Battle of TYR-Odin's Court-Valhalla Trilogy, Heaven in Black
                ... and the cover art is so suitable for Black Sabbath .

Comment

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
                  I've got Tyr on original vinyl and original CD, so its pretty obvious that I'm partial to the album! Every track is excellent, and I love the fact that Sabbath took a change of direction and covered a different subject matter for a change on this venture (partly at the persuasion of IRS). Of the Tony Martin era albums, this has to be his vocal pinnacle, in my opinion, and everything about it is a pleasure to listen to. I know that ballads aren't for everyone, but there is no denying (IMHO) that of all the Sabbath front men, Tony Martin was the unrivaled balladeer, and Feels Good to Me is an excellent example of why. Truly an amazing album, and very under appreciated in the Sabbath canon. Tyr is to Martin what Paranoid was to Ozzy and what Mob Rules was to Dio. What are your thoughts on Tyr? If you haven't heard it, you've missed out on something great. Good, bad, or indifferent, let's here it.
                  Indeed, a fantastic album almost throughout it`s entireity. The only weak point for me was, Feels good to me, which tends to drone on somewhat. Anno Mundi is a phenomenal opener, and possibly one of the best songs ever recorded under the Sabbath moniker. The TYR trilogy is also superb. I saw them in Newport, South Wales on the tour, and was more than a little pleasantly suprised by Cozy`s choice of solo, which he played flawlessly. I`d never been a fan of his previously, being a drummer myself. I`d always thought it was more about him rather than the music. My opinion of the man as a musician changed forever that night, and he remains sadly missed. Brilliant album, great gig, excellent drummer. thank you.

Comment

Cracked open my tyr cd to find those plastic bits used to hold the centre of the disk in place all broken lol,
                    Had a quick listen while doing stuff in background, the double bass pedal effect on drums used on a few tracks was funny,
                    Loved iommi on sabbath stones and odins court is one of my faves,
                    Will report back after several proper listen throughs.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiralarchitectx1 View Post
                      Cracked open my tyr cd to find those plastic bits used to hold the centre of the disk in place all broken lol,
                      Had a quick listen while doing stuff in background, the double bass pedal effect on drums used on a few tracks was funny,
                      Loved iommi on sabbath stones and odins court is one of my faves,
                      Will report back after several proper listen throughs.
                      Good for you Spiral. Like anything, it will take a few spins, but if you didn't hate it at first blush, I suspect that you will like this one. Keep an open mind. It will help if you don't think of the other eras.

Comment

Tyr is a great album for sure!

Anno Mundi, Sabbath Stones, The Valhalla Trilogy are absolutely suberb songs. The Law Maker and Jerusalem are great too...although I like the Tony Martin Solo version of Jerusalem even more...

Feels Good to Me is the odd one out...it really doesn't fit the album at all...and it's the most commercial sounding song since No Stranger To Love....not a good song at all...

Heaven In Black is another good one but I would have rather seen the Valhalla Trilogy closing the album than this one...it's more of an epic and thus would have made a better closer I'd say.

Lyrically this album is very different than any other Martin era album...it really shows how versatile lyricist Tony Martin really is.

Comment

'Valhalla' is killer!

Comment

My favorite of the Tony Martin era albums, tremendously listenable. One could gripe about the production, but to me, the only real downside is that the guitars could be louder. That huge booming drum sound is an integral part of that album. It's not as obviously 80's as Headless Cross, either - it's a more natural sounding reverb, like they're playing in a huge hall or something as opposed to having these slick synthetic sounds.

Not a bad tune in the bunch. Anno Mundi is my favorite, such a powerful song, a classic. I used to dislike Feels Good to Me, but nowadays I like that one too. And Tony Martin is on fire on this album.
                            https://soundcloud.com/deadloss-2

Comment

Tyr is awesome, the whole album is so great to me. That includes Feels Good to Me. One thing about Tyr that I always liked was how there are many variations of the actual CD. The disks are differently colored depending on the region it was pressed. And that makes the collectors either happy or sad haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X