Let's Talk Tyr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
    I love all three of the above tracks. Feels Good to Me had been written as a Tony Martin solo album track, but it was brought on board for one very contrived purpose, and that was to create a single and a video for Tyr. I agree that the song is outside of the thematic context, and I actually really dislike Tony Iommi's unnecessary and screechy guitar intro, but other than that the song is great, and a very welcomed part of the album for me. Tony Martin truly is unrivaled as the Sabbath balladeer, and as far as I can tell that should allow him to stand tall as a contributor to the Sabbath evolution.

Josef K.: I have the same EEC vinyl press as you. It never came in a gatefold. I found my original CD in mint condition at a thrift store for $2 in a small ski village.
    I didn't know it was written as a Tony Martin solo track, didn't even know he was thinking about his solo career while in Sabbath the first time around. He didn't release any solo albums until '92 did he? Anyway, I do agree he is great at ballads but if he's unrivalled is kinda hard to say... even though I don't like "Feels Good to Me" I guess songs like "Dying for Love" and "I Won't Cry for You" prove his competence in the field but seriously... "Solitude", "Too Late", "Over and Over", "She's Gone"... they are all great songs, in my book "Over and Over" would be the strongest of all mentioned but claiming Dio to be the strongest Sabbath balladeer feels a bit strange ^^

Ah cool that we have the same vinyl edition I kinda suspected there never was a gatefold edition since there was no info on it on Joe's page. Then they have something to add to the Deluxe 2LP version which they should start working on right away imo (who needs the reunion anyway? I just want TYR rereleased ). That's an incredible find! I found all TM era albums (except CP Live) on CD for a decent price at a vinyl store. They obviously had no idea what they were selling... I ended up buying them all :D
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
    -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
    - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
    http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Comment

Originally posted by Josef_K View Post
      I didn't know it was written as a Tony Martin solo track, didn't even know he was thinking about his solo career while in Sabbath the first time around. He didn't release any solo albums until '92 did he? Anyway, I do agree he is great at ballads but if he's unrivalled is kinda hard to say... even though I don't like "Feels Good to Me" I guess songs like "Dying for Love" and "I Won't Cry for You" prove his competence in the field but seriously... "Solitude", "Too Late", "Over and Over", "She's Gone"... they are all great songs, in my book "Over and Over" would be the strongest of all mentioned but claiming Dio to be the strongest Sabbath balladeer feels a bit strange ^^

Ah cool that we have the same vinyl edition I kinda suspected there never was a gatefold edition since there was no info on it on Joe's page. Then they have something to add to the Deluxe 2LP version which they should start working on right away imo (who needs the reunion anyway? I just want TYR rereleased ). That's an incredible find! I found all TM era albums (except CP Live) on CD for a decent price at a vinyl store. They obviously had no idea what they were selling... I ended up buying them all :D
      Hmmm, that's what I read about Feels Good to Me....that it was something he worked on outside of the Sabbath context, but it was brought in because there was a push for a ballad, a single, and a video. You can't always believe what you read, but it did make perfect sense to me considering that it was a bit of a side step in the midst of a somewhat thematic album. I still need all the original TM era albums on CD, except for Tyr. I better start hitting the used CD shops. I don't really think of the Ozzy era songs that you mentioned as ballads. They are slow, and somewhat trippy, but not really balladish, in the way that I define it.
      Last edited by Now in Darkness; 11-28-2013, 01:43 PM.
      Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

I still need all the original TM era albums on CD, except for Tyr. I better start hitting the used CD shops.
        You can buy them used on Amazon, they are not that expensive, that's where I got mine.
        "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
        "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
        ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Just to clarify my previous point, it is the first 10 seconds of the song that I don't like. The rest is great, and Tony does a great job; very reminiscent of David Gilmour.

Ok, I can kind of see what you mean. In fact, the entire "intro" is arguably unnecessary, now that I think about it. They could just start at the "The chapter ..."
          "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
          -WTB

Comment

Great thread , a true masterpiece of a release!

Just to clarify my previous point, it is the first 10 seconds of the song that I don't like. The rest is great, and Tony does a great job; very reminiscent of David Gilmour.
            Originally posted by Jeff View Post
            Ok, I can kind of see what you mean. In fact, the entire "intro" is arguably unnecessary, now that I think about it. They could just start at the "The chapter ..."
            One of the best tracks in Sabbath's entire catalog , for a multitude of reasons , don't have time to feed this point right now.... BUT i will say that the intro to "FEELS GOOD TO ME" , is not only breath taking and fantastic , it is truly one of the subtle things that makes sabbath and puts iommi in a different league then all... And you could argue that it is unnecessary , to do so , would make one incorrect...

Jeff you pride yourself on a musician doing too much (zakk) , not that i agree , or not doing enough .... or laying down perfect (IOMMI) , respect my brother! ..why i read your post , is you do have impeccable knowledge.... NID your just a true beast , so i love reading your thoughts .... tho celebration day , WELL , i will save that for another time

The key that Geoff lays down for our vestibulocochlear nerve , to calm the senses following the epic close to Valhalla , is not only BRILLIANT , the number one sign of intelligent musicianship , but uncanny and NECESSARY!! ..then the first cry , only last less then a second off of iommi's guitar , sets the entire mood for what is about to transpire... Before one can even calculate that thought , Iommi again hits you with a 3 second heart wrenching note scale , that makes your soul bleed...

As you catch that last breath of amazement , geoff raises the key , and iommi turns another second of magic into a single note , then turns it into a small hollow scream ... my goodness , 8 seconds of utter genius!

.....just when you think it is over , Martins pitch perfect vocal opens with "The Chapter...."

Say what you must , feel what you need , BUT thank goodness these seconds of magic exist in the crevices of TYR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless

Comment

Doc, you always make me laugh. All the best you propagandist you!!!!
              Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

Anno Mundi is the best Martin-era song.
                Beautiful melodies!

Comment

Definitely the prime of his vocal prowess. Musically too it's probably is the best of the Martin era.

Comment

Well What To Say About This Album... FANTASTIC its heavy,fast and in some places a good riff to head bang to. I don't think there is a bad song on this album the different vibe and "Norse Theme" is all very fresh and actually works I think (wish they done more on Norse Mythology) its an album I'd reccomend to New Sabbath Fans as I like to let them listen to 1 album from each era first. I hold this album very highly as it was the first Martin era album I bought and heard. The only problem I have with my CD version is it the Classic Rock Version :/ and the fact the original back is replaced and there's a stupid white border around the front

Comment

As most people know, I am a fan of the Martin era, and that is in part because he is the underdog, and never got the respect or recognition that he deserved, by the public, or by the band members themselves. I find it really interesting to read nothing but positive comments here, from some obviously big Sabbath fans, and yet the Martin era goes almost unnoticed unless someone arbitrarily starts a thread like I did here. The Martin era is truly an anomaly in the Sabbath timeline, yet the more it is ignored, the more I feel compelled to explore it with an open mind. Its also a very rare day when Spiral, Jeff, Charger, Wicked Cricket, and a few others all see eye to eye on a topic; there are always one or two stand-outs, but not here. Perhaps the TM era really is much better than any of us have been willing to give it credit for. Maybe that comes from a turbulent time in the band when many fans became apathetic to the changes, and would prefer to forget "those days". Anyway, some food for thought. Your thoughts?

It would be nice to hear from Tony Martin someday, and let him know that his efforts were not in vain.
                      Wait a minute...we're all agreeing???!!! (Spiral, Jeff, Charger, Wicked Cricket, and a few others), give me a second I'll think of something!
                      "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                      R. Blackmore

Comment

Jerusalem is so magical. I always get a great feel whenever I close my eyes and listen to that song.

Comment

I love Tyr. One of my favorite Sabbath albums. I love the lyrics and how they work so well with the darkness of the music. There is a 'cinematic' quality to the music and the atmosphere, as a result of the keyboards being used a lot.

Comment

Decided to put on the iPhone today and played it in the car tonight.
                            WOW, just wow how good is this album and how good does it sound?
                            Production is crystal clear, Cozy's drums, the bass of Neil Murray, everything is just perfect.
                            The mix is flawless, Murray bass is all over this, playing as if his life depended on it.
                            Mastering, yes is from the era when albums were mastered at relatively (compared to todays loudness wars) low volume, lets you crank the albums with no distortion or clipping.
                            A real pleasure to hear after an absence of a few years.
                            I really don't think any remaster can sound better than this.

Comment

I've got a lot of memories of this album. I got my copy the day it came out in Tower Records in Glasgow (now long gone) and rushed home to listen to it.
                              Anno Mundi was a perfect opener (and the song I still really like) and through the album there were little bits of classic Sabbath wedged into the new polished sound.
                              The band did a UK promotional tour for the album, in-store signings etc and when they got the the basement of Virgin Records in Glasgow we had the odd lineup of Murray. Nicholls and Powell to sign the promo banners we pulled off the walls. Cozy said both Tony's were "Ill". I wonder.

The tour was a shambles of course. We'd booked bed&breakfast all over the country, packed the car so we could sleep a couple of nights in the back to save money and of course they cancelled most of the tour. Can't remember what dates we made now, I think it mostly the northern dates that got cancelled, in fact the first I knew of cancellations was the sign on the Carlisle Sands Centre on the day of the show "Black Sabbath Cancelled".
                              Hammersmith I won't forget though, great show, the new songs sounded heavy and we had Geezer and Brian May guesting. After the show pretty much everyone was asking Geezer "So, are you coming back?" and the poor sod had to keep dodging a straight answer.

I know I'm often critical of the Tony Martin days but these were happy times to be Sabbath fan (something that over the years has been as disheartening and depressing as it has been joyous), there was an air of optimism about the band that Headless Cross had started that they managed to crush comprehensively in true Sabbath style a couple of years later.

Comment

Originally posted by PTC View Post
                                I've got a lot of memories of this album. I got my copy the day it came out in Tower Records in Glasgow (now long gone) and rushed home to listen to it.
                                Anno Mundi was a perfect opener (and the song I still really like) and through the album there were little bits of classic Sabbath wedged into the new polished sound.
                                The band did a UK promotional tour for the album, in-store signings etc and when they got the the basement of Virgin Records in Glasgow we had the odd lineup of Murray. Nicholls and Powell to sign the promo banners we pulled off the walls. Cozy said both Tony's were "Ill". I wonder.

The tour was a shambles of course. We'd booked bed&breakfast all over the country, packed the car so we could sleep a couple of nights in the back to save money and of course they cancelled most of the tour. Can't remember what dates we made now, I think it mostly the northern dates that got cancelled, in fact the first I knew of cancellations was the sign on the Carlisle Sands Centre on the day of the show "Black Sabbath Cancelled".
                                Hammersmith I won't forget though, great show, the new songs sounded heavy and we had Geezer and Brian May guesting. After the show pretty much everyone was asking Geezer "So, are you coming back?" and the poor sod had to keep dodging a straight answer.

I know I'm often critical of the Tony Martin days but these were happy times to be Sabbath fan (something that over the years has been as disheartening and depressing as it has been joyous), there was an air of optimism about the band that Headless Cross had started that they managed to crush comprehensively in true Sabbath style a couple of years later.
                                Great story!! Thanks for sharing some insight on a time period that a lot of us were not around to see. Sabbath was my favorite band then, Ozzy era Sabbath only. It's too bad I missed out on the Martin era shows.
                                Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Comment

Working...
                                X