No announcement yet.

TM on working with Iommi again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since it was produced/mixed by Ernie C, the whole thing 'brings the noise'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sin Cardinal Sin View Post
      How does a 10 second verse in one song turn an album into Run DMC? I don't listen to rap but the idea of that bit ruining Forbidden is nuts. I also prefer they do something which sounds different instead of returning to 1995.
      I was wondering the same thing. What is he talking about? There is no rap anywhere on the album. If he's upset that Forbidden has a bad reputation as a "rap Sabbath" album it's because he's the one who perpetuates it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Petoria000 View Post
        I was wondering the same thing. What is he talking about? There is no rap anywhere on the album. If he's upset that Forbidden has a bad reputation as a "rap Sabbath" album it's because he's the one who perpetuates it.
        Musicians talk a lot of shit because they come mostly from a place of emotion and not facts.

Comment

• Forbidden sounding like a RUN DMC album? Come on, just because Ice-T says a few words in Illusion Of Power? Preposterous!
          "They tell you black is really white the moon is just the sun at night and when you walk in golden halls you get to keep the gold that falls, it's heaven and hell"
          ~ Ronnie James Dio

Comment

• Forbidden has some excellent songs on it but is in dire need of a remix, especially the drums. It sounds like Cozy is hitting plant pots instead of the "thundersticks" (no, not the Samson drummer) we fondly knew him to be.
            He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

• Originally posted by Requiem View Post
              I've been a Sabbath/Ozzy fan for about 20 years and it's literally just this year that I've finally bothered to check out the Tony Martin material with any great scrutiny - so I've been one of those casual 'fans' who never looked beyond Ozzy (and barely to Dio either). Even a couple of years ago I would sort of mock a friend of mine who was into the Tony Martin era. How wrong I was!

I think as I'm getting older I'm experiencing an upsurge in my interest of all things 80s rock and metal, and so I'm giving that era a bit more attention the further it recedes from the present. Perhaps there is an element of me revisiting the gateway bands from the 80s, too. Reading recent Black Sabbath books by Mick Wall, Martin Popoff and Tony Iommi had really piqued my interest in this mysterious era between 'Never Say Die' and 'Reunion' that was a complete mystery to me. Coupled with my renewed interest in the freedom, debauchery and joie de vivre of 80s rock, it was natural for me to check out the Tony Martin era.

Now that I've bothered to listen to them properly, I love the Tony Martin albums and I think his voice is/was incredible. My problem was that, like a lot of people, I took the definition of Black Sabbath too literally and I tended to believe without question a lot of the media's claim that Tony Iommi was 'lost' during the 80s and 90s, and that the Black Sabbath name was made farcical. So all this put me off.

What I think is likely to happen due to the publicity of The End tour and Iommi's re-releasing the Tony Martin albums in deluxe editions is that more people like me who are out there are going to take the time to check them out. Black Sabbath has never been more popular in the metal consciousness, and I think the re-release of these deliberately 'forgotten' albums makes sense and will gain more supporters.

I'll be buying the re-released editions when they come out. No question about it. Like someone mentioned earlier in this thread, the Tony Martin albums enrich the Sabbath catalogue in my view. It helps to make an already incredible story all the more compelling.
              I've had a very similar experience.

For the longest time BS began and ended with the Ozzy albums for me. I bought Heaven & Hell and The Mob Rules, took a few listens and didn't like how much the band sounded unrecognisable to the Ozzy-era and therefore decided I had no interest in exploring any further post-Ozzy Sabbath music.

I ended up opening up my mind to Dio after hearing Dehumanizer and falling in love with it, and eventually fell in love with all Dio era albums (including TDYK). I then started buying the Tony Martin albums. So far I've only listened to Headless Cross and The Eternal Idol. I like some of the material on HC, but absolutely adore The Eternal Idol from beginning to end and consider The Shining and the title track to be up there with the best Ozzy/Dio-era songs. Quite excited about discovering the rest of the Tony Martin Sabbath albums now....

Comment

• Check out Born Again. More Sabbath, in my opinion, than any of the Dio or Martin stuff.

Comment

• Have the Martin era reissues been scrapped?

We don’t hear any news or Tony IommI or Martin saying anything anymore regarding the Martin era remasters.
                  "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                  "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                  ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                    Have the Martin era reissues been scrapped?

We donít hear any news or Tony IommI or Martin saying anything anymore regarding the Martin era remasters.
                    In an article back in May 2017, Tony Martin said "I spoke to (Tony Iommi) just a few weeks ago. He's bought a new house and he's building a new studio. He said he needs to set that up and get that all ready. But when he's ready, I'm happy to do it, and I know he wants to do it." https://www.planetrock.com/news/rock...collaboration/

Then February of this year, Tony Martin posted on Facebook that he was converting 8-track tapes from some Sabbath sessions in '94 to digital audio files. He responded to a comment asking about the reunion and said he was ready and waiting on Iommi.
                    https://www.facebook.com/31142209220...type=3&theater

Not sure how long it takes to build a studio, but hopefully things will start moving towards remastering Headless Cross - Forbidden soon

Comment

• Thanks for the info Dante and the article, I hope it happens soon.
                      "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                      "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                      ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                        Thanks for the info Dante and the article, I hope it happens soon.
                        ALL the Tony Martin haters are gone, fuck um
                        Rusty Angels \m/

Comment

• ^^^ RA is a great song with one of Sabbath's all time most pace changing mid-sections , which then changes itself .... incredible stuff , on Martin's most "Oz Era" sounding release.

Comment

• Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
                            ^^^ RA is a great song with one of Sabbath's all time most pace changing mid-sections , which then changes itself .... incredible stuff , on Martin's most "Oz Era" sounding release.
                            That Rusty Angels break is sublime Doc \m/

If you swallow just a little pride, you might find a little love inside
                            Open up and let somebody in, 'cause if you need somebody
                            You know it's not a sin

Comment

• Originally posted by ronn View Post
                              That Rusty Angels break is sublime Doc \m/

If you swallow just a little pride, you might find a little love inside
                              Open up and let somebody in, 'cause if you need somebody
                              You know it's not a sin
                              Forbidden is about as underrated as underrated gets .... FANTASTIC release from start to finish - "Sick n Tired" along with "Looser Gets It All" .... screams 1970s!

Comment

• Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
                                Forbidden is about as underrated as underrated gets .... FANTASTIC release from start to finish - "Sick n Tired" along with "Looser Gets It All" .... screams 1970s!
                                Guilty as hell has that groovy riff Doc,
                                Sick and tired with that throw back solo,
                                So much to love with Forbidden!

Comment

Working...
                                X