Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your thoughts on Headless Cross?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your thoughts on Headless Cross?

The reason I am asking this is because I get so many different opinions on this album. For me, it took some getting into, but I am digging it more and more. I think the reason I was a little turned off by it at first was the 80's sound and thick keyboards on it. The riffs and the singing is killer though. Just wish t wasn't so polished.

Re: What are your thoughts on Headless Cross?

I think it is a classic. This album to me is where Tony Martin really made his mark with Sabbath. The vocal range of Tony M. is absolutely amazing on this album. I think the reason for this is because he gets to sing the songs in which he had a hand in writing the vocals for. I think he was restrained somewhat in the previous album, because the songs were written for Gillen and his voice. Anyway, i just think it has the ultimate singer and who can forget the riffs that Sir Tony Iommi came up with on this record. This is one of those rare albums in which i like every song on it. Seriously, there is not one song on this album that i don't like. As for the lyrics, they really don't bother me that much. I've heard much worse as far as satanic goes on death metal albums. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

An absolutely classic. I have already stated my opinions about this album here:

http://www.black-sabbath.com/ubbthreads/...=true#Post15528

I also remember reading sometime ago that "When death calls" made the number 9 in some list about the best metal songs ever in Japan. Not that this mean anything but anyway. And if the album was good, I dare say that the HC tour was even better. I saw Sabbath twice in Leningrad, Russia and I was blown away by the power of Mr. Martin's voice at that time. The setlist was awesome, he even sang some odd forgotten songs and Cozy was great.

For me, Black Sabbath MEANS Headless Cross.

Comment

Well, first late me say that I'm not so very fond of Tony Martin's voice. I think he has one of those voices that you either love ore hate, just like Ozzy's, for example. I love it, but many people HATES it. Anyway... Martin's voice is very flat (IMO) and a bit booring, although I admit that he has a fantastic range... But to me range isn't everything (I can say that I hate Bruce Dickinson's voice, and he has awsome range, too). Tony Marytin has a very "rispie" voice. I don't really know how to desribe it...When Martin sing's high notes like "At the Heeeeeeadless Croooooss" ore "Spritit of man can not be freeeeeeeeed" Iäm just waiting for his voice to "crack" and come out clean and sharp like Dio's ore something. But his voice sound better here that on Eternal Idol, where he sometimes sound like a woman. The only record on wich he sound good ore OK on is IMO Cross Purposess, where he sound very mature.

Headless Cross have some good tracks, although it sounds more like NWOBHM than Black Sabbath (Many of you may allready know that I don't consider Black Sabbath after Born Again to be REAL Black sabbath, but that's another story). My favourites are When Death Calls and Black Moon. These I good malodies and I especially like the chorus on Black Moon ("I see a blck moon rising..."). But most of the songs are TO melodic and sometimes nearly sound like power metal (wich I hate). The keybords, Martin's voice and Martin's CHEEEEEEESY lyrics contribute to me not liking this record that much.
        Headless Cross is maby an OK metal/NWOBHM record, but if you wanna to compare it to masterpices like Master of Reality, Sabotage ore Born Again, it's quite bad. And I do consider this more like a Iommi solo record, then a Black Sabbath record.

I voted for "overrated". Although it's not overrated by the general public (like Paranoid, for example), it's overrated by those who like it. This is of course only my humble opinion. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Classic Sabbath album, no doubt. The title track is one of the best songs of the Martin era & the rest of the album is solid. My constructive criticism is that the second half of the album doesn't quite hold up to the first half, and the album sounds slightly more dated than do the other BS albums. But yes, a classic, no doubt.

Comment

Overrated. I think it's the worst of the Tony Martin era albums.
            Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Comment

I just listened to it earlier, and it's growing on me a lot. Nothing groundbreaking, just another good Sabbath album... but I like it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Its a classic Album but I would consider it as a bit overrated too (tough I voted for Classic). When Death Calls and Headless Cross are awesome songs.

Comment

A Classic. I think this is best Tony Martin Sabbath album. Not a weak track on the whole album.

Comment

I'd vote but you left out the 'biggest piece of crap ever sloped onto a piece of plastic' option

Comment

One of the top 5 Sabbath albums in my opinion!
                      God knows as your dognose

Comment

Yep, I like it too, lyrics are a bit naff in hindsight but a good album none the less. Also really like the concerts from this ers.

RF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I'd vote but you left out the 'biggest piece of crap ever sloped onto a piece of plastic' option

[/ QUOTE ]

You dont know what you miss with this fine "peice of crap" Album [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Comment

Headless Cross was my first Sabbath album I could call my own and I loved it at first, especialy Nightwing.
                            However its rather diffrent these-days, I find it doesn't have the same inpact on me like my first listenings of the album.
                            Its certainly a good album but seems out of place between Dehumanizer and Bruce Dickinson's 'Accident Of Birth' album on my shelf.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Its certainly a good album but seems out of place between Dehumanizer and Bruce Dickinson's 'Accident Of Birth' album on my shelf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Move it then! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

RF

Comment

Working...
                              X