Valhalla triptych

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valhalla triptych

Interesting. This sheet reveals that the 8 1/2 minute Norse-themed "triptych," if you will, was originally all called "Valhalla" with its "intro" renamed “The Battle of Tyr” and "Odin's Court," with the one song split into three tracks with different titles.

^^^ Nice ! good catch nolanstolz !
    I would love to hear a demo version of this prototype of this famous triptych.

Comment

The way it is described on that paper, it is almost a different track?
      Unless it was rearranged after?

Comment

Ronn wrote: The way it is described on that paper, it is almost a different track?
        Unless it was rearranged after?

Ronn,
        The way that is described on that paper describes “The Battle of Tyr”/"Odin's Court"/"Valhalla," which means that what was originally conceived as "intro" of a longer track titled "Valhalla" became “The Battle of Tyr” and "Odin's Court." There is some discrepancy where "Valhalla" actually starts on the release, which I talk about on page 151 of my book. Now, the discrepancy makes sense: it was originally one long song.
        Cheers,
        Nolan
        Last edited by nolanstolz; 02-21-2018, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Are there demos of this? I think it would so cool to have done the song as Nolan states above.

I have to get your book still Nolan, and I will, count on it.
          "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
          "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
          ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
            Are there demos of this? I think it would so cool to have done the song as Nolan states above.

I have to get your book still Nolan, and I will, count on it.
            There probably are, such as rehearsal tapes from Rich Bitch studios, but I haven't heard them. It's just a matter of how the songs are named on the album, it's the same song(s), same recording, etc. As there are no vocals in the "intro" (i.e., "Battle of Tyr") and as there are no drums in the "intro" verses (i.e., Odin's Court), it makes sense that, when the full band kicks in at nearly 4 minutes, it is called "Valhalla." Think of all the listeners that don't have the patience so sit through 4 minutes of non-heavy music. Think of all the listeners that don't have the patience so sit through even one minute of instrumental. There are plenty of folks like that---one reason is why radio edits of songs often cut instrumental intros and cut other sections to get to the chorus sooner.

Another thing to consider is how marketable (in 1990) is a rock album with only 7 songs? 9 seems like more.

Comment

Listened to this today, awesome, thanks again for the info Nolanstolz.
              Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 07-05-2018, 01:33 PM.
              "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
              "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
              ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Originally posted by nolanstolz View Post

There probably are, such as rehearsal tapes from Rich Bitch studios, but I haven't heard them. It's just a matter of how the songs are named on the album, it's the same song(s), same recording, etc. As there are no vocals in the "intro" (i.e., "Battle of Tyr") and as there are no drums in the "intro" verses (i.e., Odin's Court), it makes sense that, when the full band kicks in at nearly 4 minutes, it is called "Valhalla." Think of all the listeners that don't have the patience so sit through 4 minutes of non-heavy music. Think of all the listeners that don't have the patience so sit through even one minute of instrumental. There are plenty of folks like that---one reason is why radio edits of songs often cut instrumental intros and cut other sections to get to the chorus sooner.

Another thing to consider is how marketable (in 1990) is a rock album with only 7 songs? 9 seems like more liteblue.
                Awesome and pretty cool.
                Last edited by jukeini; 06-02-2020, 06:37 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                X