Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Iommi talks “Forbidden” remix.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    Such a tremendous song , my goodness what a fantastic album and listening experience "Forbidden" is , time and again .... all 11 tracks , and those incredible pipes on Tony , "I Won't Cry For You" - one Sabbath's all time best moments .... just love this album.
    Love the entire album Doc, Illusion Of Power possibly the heaviest song on the album. And the title track? Amazing!!!
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
      Ice-T will forever be associated with rap and rightfully so, but at the time of doing the Forbidden album he was doing the Body Count thing, I’m going by what I read. I’m not an Ernie C fan or Ice-T, except for his acting in tv shows and movies, so I can’t say for sure because I don’t follow Ice-T.

      I do like Ice’s involvement in Illusion Of Power.
      His involvement in 'Illusion of Power' made it even more memorable, for better or for worse, I did enjoy it. But at the same time, it wouldn't alter my opinion of the album if that guest spot hadn't had ever been recorded.

      He was doing them concurrently. Let's use as an example two years on either side of 'Forbidden', he released: Home Invasion (1993, solo rap album), Born Dead (1994, Body Count album), Ice-T IV: Return of the Real (1996, solo rap album), Violent Demise (1997, Body Count album). Body Count was still a going concern when he was recording those rap albums, and vice versa. Of course you're right in that nobody's going to watch 'Law and Order' and go 'oh, hey, it's the Body Count guy'.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
        Ernie C and Ice T got thrown under the bus, the problem with the album isn't the production or Ice's spoken verse.

        The songs aren't any bloody good, and the singer sounds like "the bloke off the deodorant commercial".
        I don't know about Ice-T but I agree that Ernie C. is kind of being treated without a lot of respect here. And there is NO reason for it. This album is over. It was 24 years ago and other than "Illusion Of Power" and "Kiss And Death" everything in between was just kind of below standard.

        I have no idea why this project even interests Tony other than maybe he carries some guilt about how Cozy's drums came out. Frankly, that was the only part of the mix that was even an issue. And Ernie C. was right on target that at the time they needed to come out of the huge, reverberated production that had given way to a more up front production. Cross Purposes kind of had, but the bottom line is that Tony agreed to the production at that time and the album is past history.

        I hate this fucking remix trend. It's just the latest way to get people to buy music they have already purchased again. The "remastered" tag has worn thin and it's the newest craze. And I have yet to hear a single album improved by being remixed.
        "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
        -WTB

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by SweetSymptom View Post
          His involvement in 'Illusion of Power' made it even more memorable, for better or for worse, I did enjoy it. But at the same time, it wouldn't alter my opinion of the album if that guest spot hadn't had ever been recorded.

          He was doing them concurrently. Let's use as an example two years on either side of 'Forbidden', he released: Home Invasion (1993, solo rap album), Born Dead (1994, Body Count album), Ice-T IV: Return of the Real (1996, solo rap album), Violent Demise (1997, Body Count album). Body Count was still a going concern when he was recording those rap albums, and vice versa. Of course you're right in that nobody's going to watch 'Law and Order' and go 'oh, hey, it's the Body Count guy'.
          I guess you can say I'm only a fan of Ice-T's acting, you're right I don't think that Body Count ever made that big of an impact that Ice would be recognized as their frontman and would say "hey that's the guy from Body Count" while watching one of the roles Ice was involved in, whether it be Law and Order or New Jack City.

          Originally posted by Jeff View Post
          I don't know about Ice-T but I agree that Ernie C. is kind of being treated without a lot of respect here. And there is NO reason for it. This album is over. It was 24 years ago and other than "Illusion Of Power" and "Kiss And Death" everything in between was just kind of below standard.

          I have no idea why this project even interests Tony other than maybe he carries some guilt about how Cozy's drums came out. Frankly, that was the only part of the mix that was even an issue. And Ernie C. was right on target that at the time they needed to come out of the huge, reverberated production that had given way to a more up front production. Cross Purposes kind of had, but the bottom line is that Tony agreed to the production at that time and the album is past history.

          I hate this fucking remix trend. It's just the latest way to get people to buy music they have already purchased again. The "remastered" tag has worn thin and it's the newest craze. And I have yet to hear a single album improved by being remixed.
          Jeff to be honest, I'm excited about this remix of Forbidden and have just bought the entire Ozzy era Sabbath, Great Eight Warner Bros. 2016 remasters.
          "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
          "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
          ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

          Comment


          • #35
            I’m also going to try and get the 2009 Sanctuary remasters, if I could buy the whole lot together.
            "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
            "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
            ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
              I guess you can say I'm only a fan of Ice-T's acting, you're right I don't think that Body Count ever made that big of an impact that Ice would be recognized as their frontman and would say "hey that's the guy from Body Count" while watching one of the roles Ice was involved in, whether it be Law and Order or New Jack City.
              Pretty much, OID. Body Count also had the distinction of emerging after Ice-T'd begun his solo career (we can argue that his career helped Body Count, but that's neither here nor there) so unless Body Count ever eclipses his solo career in terms of popularity, this is unlikely to happen.

              Getting back to the topic at hand, I feel the same way about remixes as Jeff does but I'm intrigued to see how Tony treats this one. I own the original release, so it's not as if the remix will be my only option.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by SweetSymptom View Post
                Getting back to the topic at hand, I feel the same way about remixes as Jeff does but I'm intrigued to see how Tony treats this one. I own the original release, so it's not as if the remix will be my only option.
                I own the original release on cassette, and have since replaced it on CD and Vinyl which is an unofficial copy, back then I didn't have a CD player or Turntable, and cassettes don't fare well through time and even new the sound is never as good as CD or Vinyl.

                And will be buying the remixed-remastered one as well.
                "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                  I own the original release on cassette, and have since replaced it on CD and Vinyl which is an unofficial copy, back then I didn't have a CD player or Turntable, and cassettes don't fare well through time and even new the sound is never as good as CD or Vinyl.

                  And will be buying the remixed-remastered one as well.
                  I've had some really good-sounding cassettes, but you're right in that they don't compare to either CD or vinyl.
                  You're a dedicated fan, OID.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by SweetSymptom View Post
                    I've had some really good-sounding cassettes, but you're right in that they don't compare to either CD or vinyl.
                    You're a dedicated fan, OID.
                    Thank you Sweet.
                    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X