Archie Bunker, Rodin, and The Etoynal Idol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archie Bunker, Rodin, and The Etoynal Idol

I just bought the 4th Season DVD set for All In The Family. There's an episode where the neighbors give Gloria a reproduction of the statue "The Kiss". You can see a few screen shots here.

Of course being the Sabbath nut that I am, the first thing I thought of when I saw it was The Eternal Idol. It's not the same sculpture, but it's from same artist: Auguste Rodin (1840-1917). He also did The Thinker and oddly enough another piece that's the title of a Martin-era Black Sabbath song: The Gates of Hell.

Actually, I remember reading somewhere that what you see on the album cover is not the real statue, but two models covered in paint and posing in close proximity. Apparently they couldn't get the permission or funds to use of a photo of the actual thing.

Archie: "What is this filth doing on my coffee table?"
    Michael: "Arch, that's a great reproduction."
    Archie: "I don't want no reproductin' on my coffee table!"

Re: Archie Bunker, Rodin, and The Etoynal Idol

Cool

Comment

Never thought I would see any sort of connection between Archie Bunker and Black Sabbath!
      Life Member of the NRA

Comment

Yeah, the actual statue is much different than the Sabbath cover for Eternal Idol. Actually, the Sabbath cover is cooler looking IMO.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Never thought I would see any sort of connection between Archie Bunker and Black Sabbath!

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously doubt that's the intended connection. But it's a cool catch nonetheless.

Here's the real statue.

And the Sabbath cover:

Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
          View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

Working...
          X