Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headless Cross "Dated" (I need explanation)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headless Cross "Dated" (I need explanation)

Headless Cross always seems to get the term as "sounding dated". I hear this about a lot of other albums, too.

Can somebody explain to me simply what the logistics are of sounding "dated" I honestly don't know what this means, somebody explain it simply to me.

And then explain exactly what in Headless Cross sounds "dated", because again I don't know what this really means.

Re: Headless Cross "Dated" (I need explanation)

Yeah, good question!
    "I don't sound like nobody"

Comment

"dated" is the opposite of "timeless". If something is dated it sounds old and typical of that time period (mostly in a negative way).

Comment

It doesn't refer to Headless Cross.
        "I don't sound like nobody"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          It doesn't refer to Headless Cross.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it does. The whole album says "80s!!!!"

not that its a bad thing

I love headless cross.

Comment

Sometimes, "dated" can also mean "cheesy", which is something HC definately IS

Comment

Dated means to be old and "flimsy" and "dull" since it's inception, but I dont find this to be the case with Headless Cross.

Comment

Oh, I get it. Sabbath bloody sabbath is dated. It sounds so 70s, its not even funny. Seriously, I never understood why the term dated seems only to apply to the 80s and not to the 70s. I mean, Black Sabbath, the album, sounds OLD.

Comment

"Dated," to me, means that it sounds "past it's time" or not like the "current trends." Music is timeless, so I shun all labels associated with any form of music or art. If you like it, who gives a damn what anyone else thinks!

For the record - I like "Headless Cross." I've said before that I wish it was rawer sounding, but it's damn good music as is.

Comment

Eh, Deep Purple In Rock should be therefore called "dated", because the guitar sound is "ancient"! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It has the number "1970" scrawled on its every note. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But we don't call it "old" or "dated"?
                    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      "dated" is the opposite of "timeless". If something is dated it sounds old and typical of that time period (mostly in a negative way).

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Yep.

Headless Cross (which I enjoy) has a stereotypical 80s drum sound, cheesey lyrics about Satan and ludicrously high notes from Tony Martin, which all add up to give it that 80s feel. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, though. Too many people go on the defensive when something's called "dated", but all it means is that it's a strong reflection of music in that time period.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Eh, Deep Purple In Rock should be therefore called "dated", because the guitar sound is "ancient"! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It has the number "1970" scrawled on its every note. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But we don't call it "old" or "dated"?

[/ QUOTE ]
                        I'd definately say Deep Purple are dated. That doesn't stop them being one of my favourite bands though. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X