Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you interpret the meaning of "Kiss of Death"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you interpret the meaning of "Kiss of Death"?

How do you interpret the meaning of "Kiss of Death"? To me it's no love song but a farewell song.
    "I don't sound like nobody"

Re: How do you interpret the meaning of "Kiss of Death"?

I don't believe it to be a farewell song. I interpret this as a song (as i do much of the album) as being about a bad relationship coming to an end. That's not to say that I think the whole album is about one theme. The lyrics are set up though to be open ended which allows the listener to take their own meaning out of it.

Comment

I agree with Mob Rules. And this is one of the greatest songs of its kind in my opinion, both musically and lyrically.

"This is no ordinary soul that you're destroying,
      Not just another life that drifts along on the sands of time..."

I don't know why but I just think the lyrics in this song are absolutely brilliant.

Comment

Same here. I also think it's about a bad relationship coming to an end and that's why it is a final saying good-bye: "Someone like you will never get through my door no more". In general it is a mixed emotions situation.

Comment

Re: How do you interpret the meaning of "Kiss of Death"

[ QUOTE ]
          How do you interpret the meaning of "Kiss of Death"? To me it's no love song but a farewell song.

[/ QUOTE ]

When it was new, I used to think it was Sabbath's interpretation of how fans and the public perceived them.

You keep trying to give us the "Kiss of Death", and it doesn't work - we're still here. Too bad the band essentially died "as a band" after that, though. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
          Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
          View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

Re: How do you interpret the meaning of "Kiss of Death"

It expresses TM's feelings against his band situation I think [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

Comment

Well, you can see it as a break-up song too, but in my opinion, TM wrote it about Sharon, and the we can say fixed Reunion of the Ozzy lineup. He knew that he will get fired, again.

Comment

I always felt all the lyrics on this album were intended as big "f*** you" to Iommi. I speculate this album was made to fulfil the label contract with IRS records which probably had to carry the Sabbath name just like Cross Purposes. Remember Geezer left the band after Cross Purposes most likely because he didn't want the Sabbath name to be used unnecessarily. This is documented on his first solo album.

I can imagine Tony probably thought it best to bring the classic Tony Martin lineup together as they seemed to enjoy working together so it made sense if it was going to potentially be their final farewell. If you look at how the album was made and mixed, it does create the impression that they couldn't give a toss at the time. Most likely everyone was just waiting to get their recording session royalties.

Decent album though. My second favourite from the Tony Martin era!

Comment

I know it was you Fredo.
                  "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                  "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                  ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Working...
                  X