Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Headless Cross lyrics

[ QUOTE ]
    I did notice a lot of references to the devil, but it was no big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that why he geared away from Satan on TYR ?
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And that’s for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Comment

i think the lyrics adds to the overall feeling of the music. can you truly imagine the songs with different lyrics?! it wouldn't be headless cross anymore. i like how headless cross is kind of "dark".

Comment

I am a Catholic, go to church every sunday, and have no issue with the lyrics.

Thing is if you are a Catholic or Christian, then you do believe in a satan, doesn't mean you worship him, but you do believe he exists. So really the Headless Cross lyrics aren't offensive because it's just talking about Satan who we all think exists - it's really not praising Satan either, or promoting Satanism. I think it's just harmless, I havn't gotten worked up over it.

Plus most of time when listening to songs I don't even notice the lyrics, I mean some songs I do but really I just listen for the melody not what they are actually saying.

Either way I have no issue with Headless Cross.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Especially I love the line "I believe Satan lives in the souls of the dying"

[/ QUOTE ]

No offence, but I have to say that I think this is the most cheesy line in ANY Sabbath song! It makes no sence and only sound wannabe-evil. I love the song When Death Calls, but this line is just embarresing.
          Overall, the lyrics on HC is quite cheesy, but in most cases the music compensate for the lack of intelligent, beatifull, intresting, cool or clever lyrics. It just feels like there's to much devil/satanic lyrics, and it tends to feel like a parody. And IMO, Tony Iommi or Black Sabbath never was about humour. OK, the induvidual members could be funny privatly, Ozzy, Iommi, Gillan and the guy all have humour, but the music aleways was serius. OK, maybe Ian Gillan's lyrics also wasn't 100% serious, but at least they wasn't as cheesy as these.
          But HC is a good record, none the less. Great music and the lyrics doesn't really bother me that much. It's just when you here "Satan kills everyone" for the 79:th time, it gets a bit old.

Comment

For one, if I wanted to hear a bunch of songs about Satan, I don't want to turn to Black Sabbath. Two, for me, it's the mix of the lame ass lyrics and the cheesy 80's sound that turns me off to it

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              For one, if I wanted to hear a bunch of songs about Satan, I don't want to turn to Black Sabbath. Two, for me, it's the mix of the lame ass lyrics and the cheesy 80's sound that turns me off to it

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand. Some guy told me that he deeply disliked "Born again". "Disturbing priestes and bitches (digital or not), Hot lines, and other Gillanisms don't belong in Sabbath" he told me...

Comment

I've always thinking that all the things about Satan and Heavy Metal in General were just THEATER!!! If you listen and look The EXORCIST or DAMIEN THE OMEN, we are not possessed because of it!!! We had that priest in Québec,in the 80's, who had written that book about SUBLIMINAL MESSAGES in HEAVY METAL! What a Joke you know!!! But those lyrics are fun in our imagination but it has nothing to do with our lives day by day and it's just Theater!For me,it's the same thing as if i was looking a FANTASTIC movie!

Comment

The lyrics are no worse than Paranoid or Iron Man or - Back Street Kids!

Comment

The lyrics are okay but I mainly listen to the music. It is better than all the hair metal that was going out of style at the time.

Comment

Well, guys, I gotta agree with the ones who say that HC is just a bit over the top with references to Satan. Most of Sabbaths albums mention Satan, Lucifer, ect. here and there, but HC really was just too much, IMO. I am more of a Cross Purposes kind of guy.
                      Life Member of the NRA

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        The lyrics are okay but I mainly listen to the music. It is better than all the hair metal that was going out of style at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to dissagree with that statement. There were quite a few cds released by hair bands in that era which I would consider on the same level as Headless Cross.

In my opinion, the hair bands/glam rockers of the mid to late 80s are often overlooked by people today and most rock/metal listeners I know.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          In my opinion, the hair bands/glam rockers of the mid to late 80s are often overlooked by people today and most rock/metal listeners I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I agree with that. There are LOT of great "hair metal" bands/albums.

HC is better than them, though. Hell, HC is better than almost everything [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I've heard that Headless Cross sounds like "everything else" there was in the 80's. Please tell me some bands/songs/records, cos I'd like to hear that [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                            The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Comment

It stands to reason when you listen to a band called Black Sabbath that the subject matter of the lyrics will lean heavily toward religious themes. This has been the case since the first song on the first album, so it is not a new theme on Headless Cross. Some albums tend to have more (and others less) Satan references than others and Headless Cross is one of the heavier doses. I don't have a strong feeling regarding the lyrics either way.

I do find the constant F word usage by Ozzy on the recent Reunion CD completely unbearable, so when you say that Headless Cross bugs you and you can't listen to it, I can relate, even when I don't share your opinion exactly.
                              How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
                              --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Yes, I think thematically it does get a bit repetitive, but it oesn't really put me off listening to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X