Official Tony Martin-on-Tour Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Tony Martin-on-Tour Thread

I saw Tony Martin and Geoff Nichols' band live last night... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
    BEST GOD DAMN GIG EVER!!
    He played the following songs (Not in order):

The Eternal Idol
    Law Maker
    The Shining
    Battle of Tyr
    Odin's Court
    Valhalla
    Headless Cross
    Devil and Daughter
    When Death Calls
    I Witness
    Dying for Love
    Hand that rocks the Cradle
    Scream
    Raising Hell
    War Pigs
    Children of the Sea

Man, it was so awesome...
    After the show I got the opportunity to shake hands
    and say hi to Mr Martin and Mr Nichols in a secluded corner.
    I also got my Tyr LP signed, and his new album 'Scream' 2005

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Tony and Geoff are both great musicians with huge talent and skill.
    The best concerts I've ever been to in my life was this one last night at the Rockland, Sweden, and the other was Black Sabbath Live at the Globe last summer.
    That's all for me, for the moment.

Guys, please share your stories! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    -= Tony Martin On Tour 2006 =-

Re: Official Tony Martin-on-Tour Thread

Still only 2 of his own song... and War Pigs! Looks like he doesn't take the point. Well, people will keep thinking he has nothing of his own to offer, and he's just a "cheap copy of real Sabbath" (per someone's words).
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Comment

I think his setlist is pathetic in a way. First he tried to escape the Sabbath image, now he plays it up like it's all he's got going for him. A few Sabbath songs in his set would be great, but he's got so much material to draw from that it's insane to play any more than 4 or 5 Sab songs, tops.

Comment

Didn't he say, in reply to Rover's review of a concert of his, that the emphasis on the Sabbath material was only till Scream had become more widely available? (or something like that)
        http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

Yes, something like that.
          Now that Scream is in stores even out here (saw a few copies on Sunday), I don't know how more widely available it has to be.

Just out of curiousity... anyone knows what Dio's setlist was back on the Holy Diver tour?

War Pigs, what a joke. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]
          "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Comment

Not really, he said he sang War Pigs and Children of the Sea
            to honor Dio and Ozzy, as he's a big fan of both of them.

Comment

He plays what the company lets him play, and maybe for a world tour is easy to present "the best of Black Sabbath" than something like a "Scream World Tour"
              But I agree, war pigs is the worst choise.
              We all would love to see more Scream songs in there, because that album captures the esence of the 1987-1995 Sabbath.

Comment

BTW, this thread belongs to "side solo and related"

Comment

I could never warm uo to Tony Martin...I recognize his talent,but there is just something Spinal-Tapish about his vocals...

Comment

I kind of know what you mean. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the power metal, High vibrato, epic style vocals which Tony Martin displays on his first 3 efforts with Black Sabbath. That's why I lean towards Cross Purposes and Forbidden as my favorite of the Martin era which there is less of it. Don't get me wrong I love all 5 releases with Martin he's a great talent.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I think his setlist is pathetic in a way. First he tried to escape the Sabbath image, now he plays it up like it's all he's got going for him. A few Sabbath songs in his set would be great, but he's got so much material to draw from that it's insane to play any more than 4 or 5 Sab songs, tops.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you saying you wouldn't want to see that? I'd chop my arm off to hear that.
                      "I want to tell you, yeah
                      How Good It Feels
                      Sleeping here with you tonight
                      And thatís for real"
                      -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Comment

Well if you're comparing hearing the Sabbath list to not seeing the tour at all, then yes, I'd rather hear the Sabbath setlist. But when he can dig into Misha Calvin, The Cage, Empire, Giuntini Project, his solo work, Forcefield, Phenomena, and Rondinelli, there's no reason why he should relegate himself to just Sabbath.

Oh, and before you say anything, I know his explanation for not doing any Misha Calvin stuff. But I don't think it makes any sense. He's pissed because he and his old bands wrote the songs and then didn't see any money or credit from it. Well, performing them live WOULD allow him to get money and recognition for his work. So his attitude toward that material doesn't seem logical to me.

Comment

We must consider:

95 % of people at the show have never listened to martin's music. They know and love sabbath music, but maybe only some tyr or headless cross songs.

The rest of the guys is us, on the sabbath forums, listening to all the solo & side projects that martin have done in the past.

Play non-sabbath stuff and there is 10 guys in the audience (but we have a hell of a night!). The tour is cancelled due to poor sales.

So its simple. You do a tour, you attract people, you make money, the people back home do internet search on Tony Martin, discovers that he have sings on many others classic albums, buy the empire, giuntini, calvin, rondinelli, phenomena albums, Martin makes more money, so can do a new martin album. On next tour maybe do an empire song or giuntini and so on.

Michel

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            We must consider:

95 % of people at the show have never listened to martin's music. They know and love sabbath music, but maybe only some tyr or headless cross songs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sincerely doubt that that is the case. The majority casual Sabbath listeners (the people who make up most of the Ozzfest audience for example) who just want to hear Iron Man and Paranoid while getting hammered probably don't even know who Tony Martin is. Which means that they probably won't exactly stand in line outside the venue to see him play.

Of all the singers Sabbath has had over the years, Tony Martin is probably the one with the largest percentage of dedicated listeners in his fan base. so of all the Sabbath singers, he's the one who has the audience who'd be most receptive of new or more unknown material.
                            http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

Exactly, Sir Kenneth. If you listen to Martin-era material, you're no fair-weather fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X