Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Headless Cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headless Cross

I read in the Tony Martin interview that this album got on a list of the most underrated metal albums of all time. And quite rightly so, if you ask me. HC is pure genius, there is no denying that. Many times I read that people refer to this album as a cheese ball, claiming that the 80s production is cheesy beyond belief. Well, think again [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I, for one, think the production is classic and powerful, one of the best of all Sabbath albums. Did Tony Martin ever sound better and more powerful than on HC? I think not. Cozy's effective drumming pounds right through your brain, and Iommi's riffs and solos are nothing short of amazing and breathtaking. Oh, and let's not forget the bass playing which is right up there with classic Geezer stuff. EVERY single song on here is awesome, EVERY one of them. How many albums can claim that?

Express you love for Headless Cross in this thread [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Headless Cross

you summed it up perfectly, great album only beaten by Tyr
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And thatís for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      you summed it up perfectly, great album only beaten by Tyr

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if it gets beaten by Tyr. Both are very different in style and approach, and also in songwriting. Martin shines on both albums [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Headless Cross is a absolutly wonderful album. I had a friend who came over and took a lot of music from my iTunes to put on his iPod. The only sabbath he heard before headless cross was ozzy stuff. After listening to Headless Cross, he said Headless Cross blows the ozzy stuff away! He also said he couldn't believe Headless Cross was so under-rated and paranoid, sabbath bloody sabbath etc... was so over-rated. Overall...Headless Cross rocks pretty damn hard.

Comment

Re: Headless Cross appreciation thread

I don't understand why this was bashed simply because of the lyrical content, lyrics aren't everything
          How Good It Feels
          And thatís for real"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I don't understand why this was bashed simply because of the lyrical content, lyrics aren't everything

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. The lyrics get bashed cause of their satanic edge, yet records like Number of the Beast and Reign in Blood get away with it. Personally I think Tony Martin did a great lyrical job here, as the lyrics fit the music and atmosphere perfectly. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Great album but not near as good as eternal idol, tyr, and cross purposes.

Comment

Martin use his voice amazingly well in HC, but it's nothing compared to the new Empire album "The Raven Ride".

Comment

The day HC came out a friend pulled up in my driveway and played When Death Calls for me. Of course I was blown away! Since that day 17 years ago HC has consistantly stayed in rotation in my cd player. I can't say that about any other album. I also think it's one of the most underrated metal albums of all time and I can't tell you all how awesome it is to find a site full of like minded individuals. I've been trying to turn people on to this album for years with little success. Not many people interested in non Ozzy/Dio Sabbath from the 80's apparently. Bought Forbidden today and have TYR on order (didn't even know they existed, sad). Cross purposes will be next. Already have Eternal Idol. Saw Sabbath w/TM at the Arragon Ballroom (Brawlroom) in the early 90's, great show from what I can remember! Great site!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    The day HC came out a friend pulled up in my driveway and played When Death Calls for me. Of course I was blown away! Since that day 17 years ago HC has consistantly stayed in rotation in my cd player. I can't say that about any other album. I also think it's one of the most underrated metal albums of all time and I can't tell you all how awesome it is to find a site full of like minded individuals. I've been trying to turn people on to this album for years with little success. Not many people interested in non Ozzy/Dio Sabbath from the 80's apparently. Bought Forbidden today and have TYR on order (didn't even know they existed, sad). Cross purposes will be next. Already have Eternal Idol. Saw Sabbath w/TM at the Arragon Ballroom (Brawlroom) in the early 90's, great show from what I can remember! Great site!

[/ QUOTE ]

Kickass! Welcome to the board, man!

Comment

I prefer Cross Purposes to any other Martin era album, but Headless Cross is pretty good too.
                      Life Member of the NRA

Comment

Drums are a bit too prominent on HC for me, but songwriting is way up there. EO's a great record for the most part, too (title track features a 'vintage' Iommi riff). I love Tyr but just can't get into CP as much as I'd like.

Comment

All the Martain Era stuff was great, don't get me wrong, but I found the lyrics kinda cheesy. I liked the production a lot, it actually made the album sound majestic and gothic, but I don't think there was one song where Martin didn't reference Satan and his servants. I mean give it a break man. Even Slayer albums have songs where they don't reference Satan.

I wish The Cross Purposes Line up was still Sabbath today. If it was they would probably would have made a come back.

Here is how I would rank the martin era albums imo...
                          1. Cross Purposes
                          2. Eternal Idol
                          3. TYR
                          4. Forbidden
                          5. Headless Cross

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Headless Cross is a absolutly wonderful album. I had a friend who came over and took a lot of music from my iTunes to put on his iPod. The only sabbath he heard before headless cross was ozzy stuff. After listening to Headless Cross, he said Headless Cross blows the ozzy stuff away! He also said he couldn't believe Headless Cross was so under-rated and paranoid, sabbath bloody sabbath etc... was so over-rated. Overall...Headless Cross rocks pretty damn hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think Paranoid is overrated but Sabbath Bloddy Sabbath definatly is. I mean Sabbath Bloody Sabbath has some very weak songs on it. Looking for Today comes to mind.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              All the Martain Era stuff was great, don't get me wrong, but I found the lyrics kinda cheesy. I liked the production a lot, it actually made the album sound majestic and gothic, but I don't think there was one song where Martin didn't reference Satan and his servants. I mean give it a break man. Even Slayer albums have songs where they don't reference Satan.

I wish The Cross Purposes Line up was still Sabbath today. If it was they would probably would have made a come back.

Here is how I would rank the martin era albums imo...
                              1. Cross Purposes
                              2. Eternal Idol
                              3. TYR
                              4. Forbidden
                              5. Headless Cross

[/ QUOTE ]
                              How Good It Feels
                              And thatís for real"

Comment